Graphene Pixels Could Lead to High Speed Reflective Displays

AlphaAtlas

[H]ard|Gawd
Staff member
Reflective displays, like those found in e-books, offer higher efficiency than the traditional, emissive displays you're probably reading this article on. But current reflective displays suffer from a limited color gamut and slow pixel response times. However, researchers from the Deflt University of Technology claim to have used graphene to create small pixels with a high refresh rate. The "Graphene Interferometric Modulator Display," or GIMOD for short, was officially tested at 400hz, but the researchers claim that the pixels should work at up to 2000hz. Dr. Cartamil-Bueno said "Our GIMOD prototypes would have a resolution of more than 12K if we make them the size of a smartphone display." The scientist's recently released research paper says that the graphene pixels would eliminate the need for RGB subpixels, as they can "generate natural colors in the full spectrum and in a continuous manner." They claim the new displays would be especially useful in AR/VR applications. Phys.org has a video of the 0.5", 2500 PPI prototype in action, but time will tell if this technology makes its way to real displays.

Dr. Cartamil-Bueno, the inventor and researcher that fabricated the graphene displays, shares his experience as entrepreneur bringing the GIMOD technology to the market. "We showcased GIMOD prototypes of 2500 pixels per inch (ppi) in the Mobile World Congress, and many players from the display industry reacted quite enthusiastically. While participating in several business contests in Germany, I have been preparing the team and securing capital. In few weeks, we will launch the startup to commercialize GIMOD components, aiming to tackle the VR market because that is where GIMOD outperforms every other technology."

Will our phones finally be getting smaller as time goes on, then? :p

I really hope this tech comes to the consumer space in 5-10 years (and in a very affordable fashion), because having a 4k or 8k display with a near 100% color gamut and 400+ Hz refresh rate would rock our socks off.

This would be magnitudes better than the best CRT displays of yesteryear.

I really hope this tech comes to the consumer space in 5-10 years (and in a very affordable fashion), because having a 4k or 8k display with a near 100% color gamut and 400+ Hz refresh rate would rock our socks off.

This would be magnitudes better than the best CRT displays of yesteryear.

MicroLED is supposedly the tech that will be big in ~5 years, and that should actually be pretty good. Assuming it pans out, it'll take a long time to commercialize those graphene pixels.

MicroLED is supposedly the tech that will be big in ~5 years, and that should actually be pretty good. Assuming it pans out, it'll take a long time to commercialize those graphene pixels.

Yeah...wishful thinking on my part, at best. IF it comes to fruition, we're probably looking at closer to the 15-20 year mark, realistically.

I am still waiting for my holographic display so I can have my very own Princess Leia ;)

The Graphene Interferometric Modulator Display is not a toy, Alyx

I thought that was just a reflective coating or something that went between the backlights and the screen to help improve contrast. Kind of like LG's version of Samsungs Quantum Dot thing.

I thought that was just a reflective coating or something that went between the backlights and the screen to help improve contrast. Kind of like LG's version of Samsungs Quantum Dot thing.

Nah, MicroLED is basically OLED without the O. "MiniLED," which you may also see, is just a fancy way to say FALD. I keep an eye on the tech's progress here: https://www.ledinside.com

Samsung actually has an emmisive version of QLED in the works too, but they kinda shot themselves in the foot with current marketing.

Graphene, just like all the breakthrough battery technologies that never see the light of the day.

Nah, MicroLED is basically OLED without the O. "MiniLED," which you may also see, is just a fancy way to say FALD. I keep an eye on the tech's progress here: https://www.ledinside.com

Samsung actually has an emmisive version of QLED in the works too, but they kinda shot themselves in the foot with current marketing.

Cool, thanks for the heads up on that

Back