Armenius

Extremely [H]
Rockstar Games has confirmed the next entry in the Grand Theft Auto series to be currently in active development at the bottom of this blog post:

https://www.rockstargames.com/newswire/article/ak73k92o47ko75/grand-theft-auto-community-update

1643989859660.png

Rockstar Games has confirmed the next entry in the Grand Theft Auto series to be currently in active development at the bottom of this blog post:

https://www.rockstargames.com/newswire/article/ak73k92o47ko75/grand-theft-auto-community-update

View attachment 440660
It's about time. Every time they release a GTA the graphics are even higher. Always been really impressed with the quality, replayability, and speed it runs at considering how open world it truly is.

So nine years after GTAV all they have is we are working on it? Member when it was 2-3 years between instalments in major AAA franchises? And if someone comes with, but games are more complex and take more time now. Yeah, especially if you are wasting time and resources on keeping the old one chugging along as a live service. Games aren't five time more complex than they were five years ago. Plus the tools evolved too.

So nine years after GTAV all they have is we are working on it? Member when it was 2-3 years between instalments in major AAA franchises? And if someone comes with, but games are more complex and take more time now. Yeah, especially if you are wasting time and resources on keeping the old one chugging along as a live service. Games aren't five time more complex than they were five years ago. Plus the tools evolved too.
Why create an entire NEW game when you can modify the current one by increasing graphics and features?

I guess I just don't understand your mentality.

erek posted a thread in the news a couple years back about a SEC filing hinting at a 2023 release window. For all we know they could have started planning and developing the game shortly after RDR2 released back in 2018. That would put the development time right in the 5-year ballpark, which is how long it took for GTA5.

https://hardforum.com/threads/grand...two-sec-filing-hints-at-release-date.1997170/

Reactions: erek
like this
Cause they were making a billion a year off GTA5 online. Why bother making something new.

Why create an entire NEW game when you can modify the current one by increasing graphics and features?
What features did they add to GTAV that makes it still worth playing after 9 years? Did they improve graphics? I haven't heard of that, unless you are referring to the ps5 enhanced version. Still minor upgrades to an almost 10 year old game are no substitute for a sequel.
I guess I just don't understand your mentality.

You are suggesting I'm the problem, but in reality:
Mass Effect 1 -> 2 years -> Mass Effect 2 -> 2 years -> Mass Effect 3 -> 5 years -> Mass Effect Andromeda -> 5 years -> a single jpg
Dragon Age Origins -> 2 years -> Dragon Age 2 -> 3 years -> Dragon Age Inquisition -> 8 years -> not even a jpg
GTA 3 ->1 year ->Vice City -> 2 years -> San Andreas -> 4 years -> GTAIV -> 5 years -> GTAV ->9 years -> not even a jpg
Tomb Raider -> 2 years -> Rise of the Tomb Raider -> 3 years -> Shadow of the Tomb Raider -> 4 years -> Nothing, nada, zilch
Fallout 3 -> 2 years ->New Vegas -> 5 years -> Fallout 4 -> 3 years -> Fallout 76 -> 4 years -> nothing
Morrowind -> 4 years -> Oblivion -> 5 years -> Skyrim ->11 years -> a single background jpg

It has taken forever to even get to this. Who knows how long it will be before we ever see it?

What features did they add to GTAV that makes it still worth playing after 9 years? Did they improve graphics? I haven't heard of that, unless you are referring to the ps5 enhanced version. Still minor upgrades to an almost 10 year old game are no substitute for a sequel.
They been constantly adding stuff to the online portion if the game. There is a a huge GTA server that people RP. It is heavily modded version and one of the most popular games in Twitch. They have added nothing to the offline game which annoyed me to no end.

It will be released on all platforms day 1. That is too much money to give up.
Except the staggered releases of GTA5 and RDR2 with PC coming later have taught and reinforced to them that they aren't giving anything up - cake and eat it too - because there will be a percentage of overlap (double dipping) versus releasing all platforms same time. PC players will buy later anyway and thank them for the privilege.

I'd like it on PC day one too, but I don't see what sudden new motivation they would have not to stagger GTA VI, barring an x-factor like leadership/philosophical change.

Last edited:
Except the staggered releases of GTA5 and RDR2 with PC coming later have taught and reinforced to them that they aren't giving anything up - cake and eat it too - because there will be a percentage of overlap (double dipping) versus releasing all platforms same time. PC players will buy later anyway and thank them for the privilege.

I'd like it on PC day one too, but I don't see what new motivation they would have to stop staggering it, barring an x-factor like leadership/philosophical change.
They are not going to worry about the double dipping after how much money GTA5 made off MT on their online portion.

They are not going to worry about the double dipping after how much money GTA5 made off MT on their online portion.
Not following the logic. GTA5 online MT had already made them a ton of money before they staggered RDR2. IMO they'll both stagger the PC release *and* plan to make a ton on online MT.

If your thought is that the extra money they'll make sooner on PC online MT would exceed the extra they'd make in double dip sales, it's a valid idea but then they seem to play the long game: double/triple dip sales + online MT over a decade.

Last edited:
Cause they were making a billion a year off GTA5 online. Why bother making something new.
What good is money if you don't spend it? Keeps the shareholders happy I suppose. But if you're sitting on an infinite pile of money, why not pump out more games? The end result is even more money.

I'd like it on PC day one too, but I don't see what sudden new motivation they would have not to stagger GTA VI, barring an x-factor like leadership/philosophical change.
Completely different circumstances. In 2013 people could buy the platform of their choice. Now you can't get a gaming PC because of the GPU shortage, and can't get a PS5, and barely can get an XBOX.
So not releasing on all platforms would be shooting themselves in the balls financially. They'd just be delaying when they get ROI. Unless things get back to normal by the time GTA VI comes out, but I think this is the new norm.
There'll be no getting back to how things were before without massive government crackdowns and bans on blockchain technology.

They didn't improve graphics or game physics but for sure mods did - a lot -, even early on. At 1440p or 4k even a game that old can be pretty demanding in relation to a 120fpsHz+ goal when modded nicely graphics-wise and with the view distances cranked. Especially during the periods when in areas with long vista views, lots of entities on screen, or the flying missions. There are some big graphics mods. A handful of physics mods makes it much better game too imo (realistic driving physics, realistic gun physics, realistic crowd AI, better police, realistic injury/ragdoll mods, etc.).

So graphically and game physics wise there have been big improvements made available from the mod community.
But to your point, if you don't play online there's not much more to it story wise. Unlike skyrim that has entire campaign worlds added for single player over the years. There are some mods where you can play cops and robbers though and even take the role of the police which mixes it up a little.
I don't think people are just interested in increased graphics in a new GTA they want new quests/stories/campaign(s). In fact they could probably just develop new characters and campaigns on a heavily modded (and more demanding graphically) version of the same engine and people would eat it up.

Last edited:
They didn't improve graphics or game physics but for sure mods did - a lot -, even early on. At 1440p or 4k even a game that old can be pretty demanding in relation to a 120fpsHz+ goal when modded nicely graphics-wise and with the view distances cranked. Especially during the periods when in areas with long vista views, lots of entities on screen, or the flying missions. There are some big graphics mods. A handful of physics mods makes it much better game too imo (realistic driving physics, realistic gun physics, realistic crowd AI, better police, realistic injury/ragdoll mods, etc.).

That is great (really, modding is great) but that has no impact on the developers themselves. Sure, they spent a lot of money and I am sure have a lot of people working to keep GTA Online going. Probably the same amount of people as most AA game studios. But most of the GTA5 team were likely not working on Online for years at this point.

Obviously Online was making so much money and they were preoccupiued with RDR2 that they didn't have time to finish another GTA game since. I am assuming the GTA5 & RDR2 teams were largely from the same studios and had the same employees.

In a new report from Bloomberg's Jason Schreier, it's confirmed that the sixth main entry in the series, which is at least two years away, will be the first one to feature a playable woman protagonist, a Latina...according to the report, the main duo is inspired by Bonnie and Clyde, the infamous criminal couple active in the United States during the Great Depression...

https://archive.ph/imgx7

In a new report from Bloomberg's Jason Schreier, it's confirmed that the sixth main entry in the series, which is at least two years away, will be the first one to feature a playable woman protagonist, a Latina...according to the report, the main duo is inspired by Bonnie and Clyde, the infamous criminal couple active in the United States during the Great Depression...

Thank goodness

I don't think anyone who grew up when I did with Movies like Alien/Aliens, Star Wars, Terminator/T2 will have any reservations with a female lead(s) like many claim most will. The real issue now is the rumor(s) that Rockstar has killed it's "frat boy" culture and all the good jokes are gone and the game will be lame. Only time will tell, but the more politically correct you make gaming, the less it tends to make money.

I guarantee there will be backlash no matter what. It'll be veiled and people will pretend that they're upset for other reasons that make minimal sense, but there will be backlash.
Personally, I'm more concerned with a return to Vice City. I feel like the personality of that setting was very much rooted in the 80's. I don't know if south Florida has enough unique personality in a modern setting. There are only so many south beach and Cuba jokes you can make. Rockstar nearly always impresses with world details, so I'm hopeful, though.

I guarantee there will be backlash no matter what. It'll be veiled and people will pretend that they're upset for other reasons that make minimal sense, but there will be backlash.
Personally, I'm more concerned with a return to Vice City. I feel like the personality of that setting was very much rooted in the 80's. I don't know if south Florida has enough unique personality in a modern setting. There are only so many south beach and Cuba jokes you can make. Rockstar nearly always impresses with world details, so I'm hopeful, though.
They went to "NYC" twice. GTA maps always take inspiration from multiple cities, though.

Chick with tight pants robs a Burger Joint no thanks this game rots peoples minds. I uninstalled GTA5 cause of the antisocial trash.

Last edited:
Let's hope that's very early footage since it doesn't look very impressive
It really doesn’t look like that much of an upgrade over GTA5. I suspect it will largely be a similar game just in the Miami type setting.

Let's hope that's very early footage since it doesn't look very impressive

I've seen some speculation that it's a few years old. There are models that look like they came from PS3 builds of V that are pretty clearly placeholder assets. Looks like developers or QA folks testing out early builds to see what works and what breaks.

I've seen some speculation that it's a few years old. There are models that look like they came from PS3 builds of V that are pretty clearly placeholder assets. Looks like developers or QA folks testing out early builds to see what works and what breaks.
May 2019 build apparently, leaked by someone whose name has now been outed online, Rockstar programmer of 5 yrs. Whatever.

Debugging usually isn't pretty and the primary concern isn't Ultra graphic settings and eye candy.

This won't affect the sale of GTA6 negatively. R* games are too big a juggernaut, too much inertia, it'll be their next billion dollar game no matter what.

Last edited:
Back