Grand Theft Auto VI in 2023? Take-Two SEC filing hints at release date

erek

[H]F Junkie
Opinion? Hoping for a good GTA VI Online because GTA V Online is awesome~! Thanks to KarateBob for letting me know

"First, since Grand Theft Auto VI isn’t ready for current-gen, Rockstar will want to wait until the next-gen consoles are more well established. The studio doesn’t want to leave money on the table by selling to 25 million people on next-gen in 2022 when it could reach a bigger customer base a year later as folks buy more consoles.

Rockstar is also in no rush to replace Grand Theft Auto V. The game continues to sell month-after-month, and GTA Online brings in a ton of revenue. A GTA VI needs to seamlessly pick up that momentum. So it’s important that Rockstar gets the game right. Even more crucial is figuring out how to transition the GTA Online audience to any potential follow-up in GTA VI.

Coming up with that plan and executing on it will take time. And a 2023 release provides plenty of runway to figure it out."

https://venturebeat.com/2020/05/26/...23-take-two-sec-filing-hints-at-release-date/

Last edited:
Makes me wonder if they're going to put GTA V on the PS5/XSX too then.

"First, since Grand Theft Auto VI isn’t ready for current-gen, Rockstar will want to wait until the next-gen consoles are more well established. The studio doesn’t want to leave money on the table by selling to 25 million people on next-gen in 2022 when it could reach a bigger customer base a year later as folks buy more consoles.
based on what information?

GTA V was released on xbox 360 and PS3 a year and one day before it was released on xbox one and PS4. GTA V is the second highest best selling game ever.

Makes me wonder if they're going to put GTA V on the PS5/XSX too then.

Atleast on Xbox it will be backwards compatible , but its really annoying they didn't bother to make some enhancements with the Xbox One X

Atleast on Xbox it will be backwards compatible , but its really annoying they didn't bother to make some enhancements with the Xbox One X

It'll be BC on the PS5 as well. But same that they never patched the game for PS4 Pro either. You'd think with how much money they made on that game and the continued updates, they'd throw in a patch to support the Pro/X consoles. So I highly doubt they're going to port it to Series X or PS5 if they couldn't even be bothered to patch it for the higher tier current gen consoles.

It'll be BC on the PS5 as well. But same that they never patched the game for PS4 Pro either. You'd think with how much money they made on that game and the continued updates, they'd throw in a patch to support the Pro/X consoles. So I highly doubt they're going to port it to Series X or PS5 if they couldn't even be bothered to patch it for the higher tier current gen consoles.
With how greedy Rockstar is they will make you rebut it. Sure it will be backward compatible with the PS4 version but if you want the enhanced version you will need to pony up. It probably be better then the PC version since it won't get any updates.

I can almost imagine it now:

1. Spend real money to unlock regions on the map.
2. Spend real money to buy toll bridge tokens to get to those other regions on the map.
3. Spend real money to buy fuel for the vehicle you're driving to get to around.
4. Spend real money for life insurance to pick up where you got wasted (or have to start the game over).
5. Spend real money.
6. Spend real money.
7. Spend real money.
8. ...to play a game you've already spent real money on!

Should refer to them as rEAkstar from now on.

I mean, I'm probably still going to buy it. And love it.

Opinion? Hoping for a good GTA VI Online because GTA V Online is awesome~! Thanks to KarateBob for letting me know

Rockstar is also in no rush to replace Grand Theft Auto V. The game continues to sell month-after-month, and GTA Online brings in a ton of revenue. A GTA VI needs to seamlessly pick up that momentum. So it’s important that Rockstar gets the game right. Even more crucial is figuring out how to transition the GTA Online audience to any potential follow-up in GTA VI.

Coming up with that plan and executing on it will take time. And a 2023 release provides plenty of runway to figure it out."

https://venturebeat.com/2020/05/26/...23-take-two-sec-filing-hints-at-release-date/

dang, skipping an entire generation and then tacking on a few years :(

Wish they would make it open to modding.

Opinion?

sure taking their sweet ass time. Guess theyre too busy counting money from Shark Bucks or whatever bullshit thing their online version uses and gets all the attention

Seriously 10 years since the last, wtf is this Final Fantasy?

Last edited:
Thing I read recently about GTA VI said that development started sometime around 2017, so a 2023 launch sounds about right.

Opinion?

sure taking their sweet ass time. Guess theyre too busy counting money from Shark Bucks or whatever bullshit thing their online version uses and gets all the attention

Seriously 10 years since the last, wtf is this Final Fantasy?

Has to be that. I think they're holding off because they're still making money from 5. I think if they were just concerned about single player it would be released by now. They're clearly trying to ride the profit wave as long as possible while figuring out how they can transition that paying player base to GTA6 online.

As an SP game it will still sell obscene amounts, that was the allure to 5. But they want that extra revenue squeezed as much as possible.

Has to be that. I think they're holding off because they're still making money from 5. I think if they were just concerned about single player it would be released by now. They're clearly trying to ride the profit wave as long as possible while figuring out how they can transition that paying player base to GTA6 online.

As an SP game it will still sell obscene amounts, that was the allure to 5. But they want that extra revenue squeezed as much as possible.

Wouldn't be hard for them to migrate players of GTA5 to GTA6 with accounts registered on the newer Rockstar DDS .

Heck, they could even migrate existing Sharkbucks (or whatever) over to the new game.

I got a feeling SP will be a after though with 6. They are making hand over fist of cash from gta online. I hope not but wont be surprised. I have never even gone online with to myself and don't plan too.

Agreed - but, besides some people wanting a new game, what's wrong with that as a business? I'm not sure many people here would do differently!

Well it's never going to happen on a closed platform.

It could, hitman allows people to create missions, which is a very crude form. If they opened up scripting and allowed users to create storylines and missions in the giant world they created... it would be awesome.

But nope :(

It could, hitman allows people to create missions, which is a very crude form. If they opened up scripting and allowed users to create storylines and missions in the giant world they created... it would be awesome.

But nope :(
But to mod GTA it requires adding and altering files or installing software.

Get it on PC and you can mod it to your hearts desire.

I can almost imagine it now:

1. Spend real money to unlock regions on the map.
2. Spend real money to buy toll bridge tokens to get to those other regions on the map.
3. Spend real money to buy fuel for the vehicle you're driving to get to around.
4. Spend real money for life insurance to pick up where you got wasted (or have to start the game over).
5. Spend real money.
6. Spend real money.
7. Spend real money.
8. ...to play a game you've already spent real money on!

Should refer to them as rEAkstar from now on.

I mean, I'm probably still going to buy it. And love it.
You forgot about 23 loading screens in that process.

Back