Grand Theft Auto V

Decided to get it just now, and will let it download and install so I can play it tomorrow.
you guys that are playing, you using a controller or KB&M?

Controller for driving, KB&M for first person mode.

Anyone else getting computer is low on memory? I keep crashing because of it but I have 8gb of ram

So, I'm through the prologue and in-game...

Firstly, goddamn is first-person GTA awesome. Whoever's idea at Rockstar was to integrate this in to GTA, they should be promoted.

Secondly, whenever I am overwhelmed by the options menu, I know I'm in store for a good port. There's like 2 or 3 different types of auto-aim for us using LCD TVs and Xbox controllers, plus sensitivity settings out the wazoo for the KB+mouse crowd. If you're so inclined, you can switch between both on the fly. Oh, and the advanced graphics menu is nice for those with high end rigs.

Like others have said, the performance is great. The bad memories of GTA IV are ancient history. I have all the sliders and graphics options maxed out on a stock I7 3770 and a 2GB 770 @1200p, I didn't bother with the advanced options. I'm certain some stuff (shadows, tessellation) will need to be turned down once I reach the countryside and/or start seeing sub-40 FPS drops. As of now, I'm happy to hover between 45 and 60. EDIT: I actually have all settings on very high or their equivalent, no ultra.
Anyone else getting computer is low on memory? I keep crashing because of it but I have 8gb of ram
From what I've seen so far, GTAV has been using around 3 GB of RAM. But as I was alt-tabbed out writing this, I noticed total system RAM usage soaring into the 14 GB range. I alt-tabbed again and it went away. No idea what that was about.

Try alt-tabbing in and out and see if the RAM usage stabilizes.

Last edited:
So, I'm through the prologue and in-game...

Firstly, goddamn is first-person GTA awesome. Whoever's idea at Rockstar was to integrate this in to GTA, they should be promoted.

Secondly, whenever I am overwhelmed by the options menu, I know I'm in store for a good port. There's like 2 or 3 different types of auto-aim for us using LCD TVs and Xbox controllers, plus sensitivity settings out the wazoo for the KB+mouse crowd. If you're so inclined, you can switch between both on the fly. Oh, and the advanced graphics menu is nice for those with high end rigs.

Like others have said, the performance is great. The bad memories of GTA IV are ancient history. I have all the sliders and graphics options maxed out on a stock I7 3770 and a 2GB 770 @1200p, I didn't bother with the advanced options. I'm certain some stuff (shadows, tessellation) will need to be turned down once I reach the countryside and/or start seeing sub-40 FPS drops. As of now, I'm happy to hover between 45 and 60. EDIT: I actually have all settings on very high or their equivalent, no ultra.From what I've seen so far, GTAV has been using around 3 GB of RAM. But as I was alt-tabbed out writing this, I noticed total system RAM usage soaring into the 14 GB range. I alt-tabbed again and it went away. No idea what that was about.

Try alt-tabbing in and out and see if the RAM usage stabilizes.
I have my RAM on screen with rivatuner and its staying around 3-4gb. I have page file turned off so I'll try turning that back on. I've had to play the prologue 4 times already. I hope I don't lose my GTA transfer money..

Anybody else having issues with keyboard controls? Seems like alot of the time I don't have control, almost as if the keys are sticky, but they're not. For instance, make a turn, take your finger off the key, and it keeps turning. At one point I lost control for a good 45sec to a minute.

Installing this game via steam right now. Holy shit it's 59 gigs! Even at 4 MB/s this is going to take a few hours. Damn.

Anybody know how to do a private lobby in GTA Online? I don't want to get thrown into a game with random people....

Steam reviews..

The result of console peasants beta testing.

11/10 would wait two years again.

Never have to go bowling with Roman again.

10/10

Last year pre-ordering watch dogs was the worst decision.

This year pre-ordering GTA V was the best decision.

The game floats like a butterfly, stings like a bee, runs faster than console peasants can see.

first thing i did was turned model detail all the way up and went to strip club 69/69

Sitting on the couch, smoking weed and watching anime is hillarious. In the game I mean, not IRL. I would never do something like that in real life...

I can't seem to fix this exited unexpectadely issue. anyone can think of a fix? i guess i have to redownload this whole damn shit. anyone have link to the torrent file to get all the files. Shit is way too slow and i'm frustrated. wasted all my free time to play game trying to work with this shitty rockstar launcher

http://www.reddit.com/r/GTAV/comments/32i41z/grand_theft_auto_v_exited_unexpectedly/
I'm assuming you're running the non-Steam, version? IE, no ability to verify the file integrity?

I had an appcrash earlier. I elevated the Rockstar Social Club program to run as admin, and then ran the repair install from the GTA V setup tool - which, from what I gather, reinstalls the DX and Visual C runtimes. Then I rebooted. Haven't seen another appcrash, but I will update if it happens again.

Of course, if you are running the Steam version, you could verify the file cache, and then reinstall the DX and Visual C runtimes manually.

Wearing sunglasses on your character effects the filter of the in-game world in FPS mode.

It's the little things.

My knee-jerk reaction was going to be to play this "GTA style" with a 360 controller and probably mostly 3rd person. Any thoughts on this? Should I just go ahead and use KB+M and use first person instead?

Do you guys think i can run this on atleast high or higher at 1080/60fps with my laptop? if so im gonna sell my ps4 version and buy it:-

Intel Core I7 4810 @ 3.4ghz
16gb ram
Nvidia Geforce GTX880m 8GB Vram
Samsung SSD

Thanks.

So, I just discovered that, as Franklin, you can take a selfie while throwing up a Westside hand sign, Eazy-E style. I've spent the last 20 minutes taking selfies while wearing NWA threads

Do you guys think i can run this on atleast high or higher at 1080/60fps with my laptop? if so im gonna sell my ps4 version and buy it:-

Intel Core I7 4810 @ 3.4ghz
16gb ram
Nvidia Geforce GTX880m 8GB Vram
Samsung SSD

Thanks.
There was a guy a few pages back saying he manages 1080p with solid frames at a mixture of high and very high on a 770M.

My knee-jerk reaction was going to be to play this "GTA style" with a 360 controller and probably mostly 3rd person. Any thoughts on this? Should I just go ahead and use KB+M and use first person instead?

First person and 3rd person are so easily interchangeable on-the-fly with a simple button press, you really can just choose to switch over depending on the situation. The shooting mechanics are amazing in first person with KB/M.

I still use 3rd person while driving but it's just a matter of experimenting to see which one feels best for you. Driving feels great with KB/M also.

Did you disable the pagefile by any chance?

edit : just read your other post, there you go. That's why people like me keep repeating how the pagefile should never be disabled no matter how much RAM you got. It's an internet myth that disabling it has any benefits (besides saving disk space, but you can shrink it if you are on a small SSD and have sufficient RAM)

All kind of benchmarks, browse to your heart's content.

http://gamegpu.ru/action-/-fps-/-tps/grand-theft-auto-v-test-gpu.html

And more:
http://pclab.pl/art57777.html

Did you disable the pagefile by any chance?

edit : just read your other post, there you go. That's why people like me keep repeating how the pagefile should never be disabled no matter how much RAM you got. It's an internet myth that disabling it has any benefits (besides saving disk space, but you can shrink it if you are on a small SSD and have sufficient RAM)

Yes, never disable it. If you really want to, shrink it to 1024MB or so (Windows requires 800MB for kernel dump files).

Soooo I got the game installed on my 256GB SSD, I had about 17 GB of free space after the initial pre-load. When I began the decrypt process there were notices saying disk drive write error on Steam and Im like da fuq? I looked at the SSD free space and it full!!! I had to remove Team Fortress 2, Pay Day 2, Left 4 Dead 2, Natural Selection 2 just to have enough free space to decrypt. Hell the drive nearly got full again even after removing all of the above. Finally the game was ready to play after about 30 minutes of this.

Never pre-loading again...

I do have a 500GB Samsung EVO on the way this Friday at least.

Downloading now, since my internet decided to take a shit last night when i got home from work :|

And now that my main PC is down, Shall see just how well this game scales... i3 3225 8gb ram and a beast HD7770 ! HA

1 1/2 hours left.

good game so far, its obvious this is no shitty port, runs great and has alot of graphic options no issues so far solid game worth the fullprice.

196,000 players on steam alone, the PC platform is clearly dying! :D

Now if only the other AAA publishers gave even half as much of a shit as Rockstar about the quality of their games on PC....

UynvmQa.jpg

Now I just need to figure out the cheapest/minimum video card needed to get this close to 60fps at 1080p with high or better settings. I wonder how long it will take the hardware enthusiast sites to get their video performance articles posted.

Anyone do any online stuff yet? How do the auto-aim options work there? I'm on the fence about getting this because having bought the console version already, I don't feel like spending $120 on GTA, but the hype is getting to me.

This makes two games i want to play that I have to wait to play. Well, I don't have to wait, but I want to.

I'm running 3×27"@ 5780x1080p on a 290x. Triples are great, but 1080p is looking like crap compared to high res.

I think I'll wait a few more months until the next gen cards arrive and then buy the best 4k panel I can afford.

No hurries anyway, summer is here, time to break out the yz450f and take delivery on a 2105 YZF-R1. Games can wait.

After about 5-10 min of game play I keep crashing. Windows is saying memory is running low. I have 6GB installed. Any advice?

I have 6gb installed in my sig rig and get no such problems that you've reported.

I do 64gb at hand as well in case memory runs out, but a pita removing that D14 cooler.

Game runs great. Was annoyed the pre-load exploded my 240gb SSD and I had to wipe the other stuff.

I'm FPS whore, so 100+ on my 144hz is what I go for. 2gb 770. 4770k (thank god).

Observations:
The jump from normal textures to high is worth turning other stuff down to keep it around 2gb:

My settings:
DX11
144Hz
FXAA On
MSAA/TXAA/VSync Off

Density Full
Variety 1 setting from max
Distance Full

Texture High
Shader High
Shadow Normal
Reflection High
Refl. MSAA Off
Water High
Particles High
Grass High
Soft Shadows Softer
Post FX Normal

Anisotropic 16x
AO Normal
Tessellation Normal

I need to go to the country to see if grass murders my FPS (edit, it doesn't). If so, I'll turn it down. Can always kill AO, too.

2041 MB / 2047MB

Really fun so far but I don't like switching from KB/M to 360, so I'm playing 360.

According to afterburner, using ~1800mb GPU mem, 5800 system Mem.

Last edited:
After about 5-10 min of game play I keep crashing. Windows is saying memory is running low. I have 6GB installed. Any advice?

How much virtual memory do you have? Do you have it disabled?

Recommended specs call for 8GB RAM so you should really consider adding more RAM.

I have 6gb installed in my sig rig and get no such problems that you've reported.

I do 64gb at hand as well in case memory runs out, but a pita removing that D14 cooler.

I'm guessing you don't use a Samsung ssd, according to your sig. There's a thread on the rockstar forums where people are complaining about this memory leak probably and it seems to be specific to samaung ssd's.

How much virtual memory do you have? Do you have it disabled?

Recommended specs call for 8GB RAM so you should really consider adding more RAM.

Yeah, I've been doing some digging and I'll have to check my VM and pagefile settings when I get home. But I also have another 6GB on the way so hopefully this will be a short lived problem.

My longest session was about 1 hour, no memory crashes.
I do crash during splash screens sometimes, though. It kicks me back to Social Club and tells me to login again.

I don't see how a memory leak in GTA V's process could be related to a specific SSD brand.

So, I just discovered that, as Franklin, you can take a selfie while throwing up a Westside hand sign, Eazy-E style. I've spent the last 20 minutes taking selfies while wearing NWA threads

There was a guy a few pages back saying he manages 1080p with solid frames at a mixture of high and very high on a 770M.

Yep, and 1080P/Very High on 85-90% of settings on a 970M is butter. I'm sure I could max it out at 1080P, or even go up a few resolution ticks, but it's just great looking.

Entirely different story on the Titan X however. :cool:

Back