Grand Theft Auto V

More fun facts: Steam version will unlock @ midnight in your timezone, the RGSC version is unlocking at midnight GMT (7 PM EST April 13th).

Nothing a VPN can't fix. Online is gonna crash anyways, so might as well get some single player in.

Got my key from GMG. Downloaded the Rockstar launcher. Currently preloading 60GB and using less than 10% of CPU resources.

Wow.. The GTA V Steam Forums are a total mess haha. I'd hate to be a moderator over there :eek:

Maybe the theories about curbing piracy with giant downloads are true.

Which is incredibly silly because the first thing the pirate scene does is optimize the release (compress videos, sound, rar pack).

Debating on preorder and waiting for it to get cheaper on steam. How much is this million dollars in game worth? Is it for multiplayer or just single player? Couldn't a trainer or cheat get you that money anyway?

It's for online. I have over $2 billion on each character in single player(just abuse the assassination missions), so it wouldn't make sense for it to be in single player.

With this being about 60GB, I think anyone on a decent connection (75Mbps+) may want to just wait until it unlocks before downloading. Last time I preloaded a game on Steam, it was about 35GB, and Steam took longer to decrypt it than the time it took to download it - this was on a 512GB 840 Pro. Meaning I would've been playing it sooner had I never preloaded and just downloaded it outright after the unlock time.

As for the theory that "the bloat must be uncompressed audio", let's wait and see, I wouldn't be so sure. Massive open world, tons of textures, probably a lot of FMV.

Last edited:
Maybe the theories about curbing piracy with giant downloads are true.
The notion that devs are intentionally shipping games with large install sizes to dissuade piracy is completely illogical.

If the legit, purchased game is 65 GBs, and the free, torrented game is also 65 GBs, how could the game's size dissuade piracy? Perhaps if the Steam download was 15 GBs and the torrent was 65 GBs, then one could make the claim that the install footprint was increased in order to dissuade piracy.

That theory was born when some teen on 4chan made a claim that his cousin knows a guy who knows a guy who said that Machine Games intentionally inflated the file size of Wolfenstein: TNO in order to prevent piracy, and that baseless, illogical, conspiratorial nonsense spread like wildfire throughout the Internet.

Which is incredibly silly because the first thing the pirate scene does is optimize the release (compress videos, sound, rar pack).

And that it only really somewhat curbs US pirates, I am not aware of any other country that actually enforce a bandwidth internet business model (Ireland doesn't really enforce them, in Taiwan landline internet cap is a ticket to bankrupcy, since no ISPs have bandwidth caps, and we have a LOT of ISPs).

I could be wrong of course.

That would be like closing the golden gate bridge to prevent speeding. It does nothing. Being that this game is supposedly optimized for 4k, the textures will have to go along with that. Uncompressed textures will have a large file size, especially at 3840 x 2160. Let's hope they don't follow the codemasters rule of 4k textures and keep them at 2560 x 1600 or lower like on GRID Autosport.

The notion that devs are intentionally shipping games with large install sizes to dissuade piracy is completely illogical.

If the legit, purchased game is 65 GBs, and the free, torrented game is also 65 GBs, how could the game's size dissuade piracy? Perhaps if the Steam download was 15 GBs and the torrent was 65 GBs, then one could make the claim that the install footprint was increased in order to dissuade piracy.

That theory was born when some teen on 4chan made a claim that his cousin knows a guy who knows a guy who said that Machine Games intentionally inflated the file size of Wolfenstein: TNO in order to prevent piracy, and that baseless, illogical, conspiratorial nonsense spread like wildfire throughout the Internet.

The only way it makes sense is if a lot of people are getting a hardcopy of it. I don't know how many people are actually preordering a hardcopy. I feel most want the steam version or the cheaper version through downloading. I don't see many paying full price for a dvd that doens't get them steam access and lose out saving 25%

Shit just got real. 60gb download here I come!

I haven't felt this excited since leaving my ex for more gaming hours. :)

I did that once.
She got so mad she almost threw my laptop into the pool. That's a story for a different time, however.

edit: Also she googles my username sometimes. Hi Meg.

Last edited:
Now trying to figure out if I should grab this on Rockstar's site, since it's up at 7PM EST on Monday...or if I should just grab it on GMG and get a discount.

Anyone upgrade their hardware for this? 980 SLI sounds good right about now...

The GMG version sends you to Rockstar Warehouse, same key.
The social club launcher is garbage. If the Steam version doesn't use it, I'd still prefer the Steam version right now. We won't know until launch day.

The GMG version sends you to Rockstar Warehouse, same key.
The social club launcher is garbage. If the Steam version doesn't use it, I'd still prefer the Steam version right now. We won't know until launch day.

But it's not a steamworks game either way, correct? Is there really a point in buying it on steam?

But it's not a steamworks game either way, correct? Is there really a point in buying it on steam?

likely only for achievements, since you can still use steam overlay features on non steam games.

Steam will track your achievements separately (Social Club also has them), and it also tracks your played time. Other than that, no difference as far as we know.
Presumably, when Steam players start the game, it will kick them into Social Club anyway.

Another fun fact: TXAA files in the game folder.

nzPnFtv.png
In before Team Red blames poor performance on Gameworks libraries.

Nvidia has the Midas touch of feces. Everything they're apart of turns out to be crap... They less they're involved, the better.
TXAA files are a bad sign... Even if it has nothing to do with GameWorks "optimizations".

Aside from TXAA itself being garbage.

I don't even know what CHS or PCSS are... Really sad to not see SMAA.
This may be the first game to ever include both AMD and Nvidia splash logos at start-up.

I don't even know what CHS or PCSS are...

Silly Squirrel! ;)

Percentage-Closer Soft Shadows (PCSS)
Soft shadows are typically rendered in games by using shadow mapping and Percentage Closer Filtering with a uniform kernel size. The Percentage-Closer Soft Shadows (PCSS) algorithm computes a variable kernel size based on the distance between the relative position of the receiver point, an approximation of the blocker, and the area light. It produces perceptually plausible soft shadows that harden on contact.

Contact Hardening Shadows (CHS)
The Contact Hardening Shadows technique uses a fixed size kernel, but the kernel coefficients are dynamically generated to accomodate a variable width penumbra. The PCF algorithm relies on gather4 instructions for sampling the shadow map, so while it can be performant, the width of the penumbra is limited by the size of the filter kernel.

(I have no idea what any of that means)

According to AMD, CHS is comparable to PCSS but doesn't suffer from banding or noise artifacts.

Silly Squirrel! ;)

Percentage-Closer Soft Shadows (PCSS)

Contact Hardening Shadows (CHS)

(I have no idea what any of that means)

According to AMD, CHS is comparable to PCSS but doesn't suffer from banding or noise artifacts.
PCSS is dynamically altering the shadow map in real time based on the objects' positions and light sources, while CHS is altering the color of the surface under the shadow map after the scene is drawn.

Basically, AMD is sacrificing accuracy for performance and image stability, while NVIDIA is going for the most accurate representation despite performance and artifacting. I like AMD's implementation better because it is less obtrusive to the scene, simpler to implement, and better in realistic gaming scenarios due to approximation and performance. And it worked to great effect in Alien: Isolation ;).

Now trying to figure out if I should grab this on Rockstar's site, since it's up at 7PM EST on Monday...or if I should just grab it on GMG and get a discount.

Anyone upgrade their hardware for this? 980 SLI sounds good right about now...

I upgraded to a 980 sli config in preparation for the January 26th launch. Been playing a lot of LoL on it the past couple months so theyre ready to finaly stretch their legs.

That PC gamer article mentions that they've been playing the game in 4K@60 using a "mega rig."
I'm curious exactly what that consists of. Are we talking SLI Titans on a 5ghz 5th gen i7 or something a hair more reasonable?
Either way, it sounds like 1080p/60 should be more than feasible using decent hardware. That's really all I ever wanted.

That PC gamer article mentions that they've been playing the game in 4K@60 using a "mega rig."
I'm curious exactly what that consists of. Are we talking SLI Titans on a 5ghz 5th gen i7 or something a hair more reasonable?
Either way, it sounds like 1080p/60 should be more than feasible using decent hardware. That's really all I ever wanted.

An "i7" (because who cares about details?) and two GTX 980 in SLI.
https://youtu.be/oKklqz-lgi8?t=1m36s

An "i7" (because who cares about details?) and two GTX 980 in SLI.
https://youtu.be/oKklqz-lgi8?t=1m36s

Here's your fabled details:

http://www.pcgamer.com/why-gta-5-pc-is-the-definitive-version-of-rockstars-epic/
I was shown the game in 4K resolution running at 60fps. The PC Rockstar was demoing it on is outside the price range of most consumers, with an i7 [email protected], SLI GTX 980, 32GB of RAM and a 256GB SSD, but that’s just to show off how pretty it can look.

But, looking at the screenshots and the "Usable Memory" counter - one could easily determine that the System Req's officially posted might actually be true and work just fine. Watch how the counter goes up and down, all the way to 2GB of 6GB usable memory on settings that "High" would be acceptable.

I only have a single 980 but have the other specs covered. I might try lowering the details a bit and shooting for 4K.

Back