Grand Theft Auto V

i agree that online is a pain, too much loading screens and playing public heists just sucks, always someone that leaves early, screw up midgame and everything u did was just for nothing...

I only got into GTA Online cause my friends started playing after a few weeks. When the game initially came out, I had no intention of playing Online cause honestly it sucks by yourself. If my friends ever stop playing, I would also stop playing.

I haven't played online much at all, don't really know anybody else with the PC version of GTA V, and the guys that do have it never seem to want to play. I agree,playing without friends just isn't fun IMO.

Also, LOL@ that screenshot of Trever in a dress on the other page(108). Dude's really out there, odd one.

Anyone else still having that issue where you need to alt-tab out and back in to get Vsync working properly? I always get very bad stuttering until I alt-tabbed once. There are many reports on the R* support page but the last couple updates didn't help. I play in Fullscreen mode, maybe I should try to force Vsync in the Nvidia Control Panel instead.

I also have a habit of leaving proximity mines in front of the mod shop....

Lol I used to do that a lot. Few people couldn't handle it and insulted me really bad. Good times :)

I'm only like 5 hours into the story mode, online is so addictive. I'm R75 now I think I slow down once I unlocked the minigun at 120.

Anyone else still having that issue where you need to alt-tab out and back in to get Vsync working properly? I always get very bad stuttering until I alt-tabbed once. There are many reports on the R* support page but the last couple updates didn't help. I play in Fullscreen mode, maybe I should try to force Vsync in the Nvidia Control Panel instead.

I get it as well.
Its not a game issue, it happens in more than one game.

I had a lot of fun playing GTA online with just randoms. Though right now I am getting a bit bored, heists have gotten tedious and unless I have a good group that can go through them quickly it doesn't seem worth going through all the setup missions anymore.

Whelp, think I just came across my first cheater. Chased a guy down to his apartment, he goes inside the building but you can still see his character. We try to shoot him through the glass but it just hits the window and does nothing yet he can somehow shoot through it. Then he comes out in his car, sticky bombs and rocket launcher do no damage. He gets out of his car, takes 120 assault rifle bullets to the face, health bar doesn't move and then just walks up and instakills us with one punch. Fun times.

am i gonna have some slow downs if i install this on a regular 7200 rpm hard drive? if i install it on my ssd I'd have 30gb left over. assuming the install uses 60 gb. or does it get even bigger?

am i gonna have some slow downs if i install this on a regular 7200 rpm hard drive? if i install it on my ssd I'd have 30gb left over. assuming the install uses 60 gb. or does it get even bigger?

Just really long loading times. You can save about 16gb of space if you keep the music on the hdd, using the mklink command to think it's on your ssd.

I generally find Nvidia's vsync to be superior to the in-game one. It works in every iteration (fullscreeen, windowed, borderless, after swapping windows, etc.) and it gives you a true 60hz, while the in-game version caps at 59 on many monitors thanks to rounding 59.94 down.

I generally find Nvidia's vsync to be superior to the in-game one. It works in every iteration (fullscreeen, windowed, borderless, after swapping windows, etc.) and it gives you a true 60hz, while the in-game version caps at 59 on many monitors thanks to rounding 59.94 down.

Thats not what hes talking about.
The game has a bug that locks the fps to 30 any time it goes under 60 with v-sync on. Forcing it in drivers doesn't help, the only way to fix it is to Alt-tab out of the game and back.

The game has a bug that locks the fps to 30 any time it goes under 60 with v-sync on. Forcing it in drivers doesn't help, the only way to fix it is to Alt-tab out of the game and back.

Mine goes under 60 all of the time with vsync on. Especially in the desert areas. I played for the first week using the in-game vsync and never got locked at 30fps. That must be a recent bug or it must not affect everyone.

Yeah thats whats happening. I got used to just alt tabbing out for a second but a fix would be nice. I should probably report this on geforce.com and see if I get a response.

Whats also bugging me is when I rotate the camera very slow (best reproduced with a gamepad's analog stick) I see a short stutter every 2 seconds that happens regardless of settings or location.

Mine goes under 60 all of the time with vsync on. Especially in the desert areas. I played for the first week using the in-game vsync and never got locked at 30fps. That must be a recent bug or it must not affect everyone.

Maybe.
Regardless, quite a few people here have it(go a few pages back), and Rockstar has a big thread on their forums about it.
Could also be the hardware, you are on a 980, I have a 670. Are you playing in 1080? I have to alt-tab every single time I play this game because of this.

Same here. If you are using v-sync just alt tab in and out one time before you get into something and you *should be* ok.

Maybe.
Regardless, quite a few people here have it(go a few pages back), and Rockstar has a big thread on their forums about it.
Could also be the hardware, you are on a 980, I have a 670. Are you playing in 1080? I have to alt-tab every single time I play this game because of this.

Yeah, I'm at 1080 in fullscreeen mode. Most settings pegged, but a few (grass, water) dialed down a hair. Sticking to FXAA instead of MSAA. There are times when I'm driving quickly in the desert (near the huge mountain) that I'll full-on drop down to 30fps, but it bounces back. I have Afterburner permanently on - I wonder if that's helping?

Not sure what issues you are having, with having fun.

I seem to have a blast when i log in every night.

From doing heists or missions with friends/crew members or just running around in freeroam killing random people or calling muggers on them and watching them get pushed to the ground by the npc mugger.

There is really no shortage of things to do. i have 317 hours played so far.

i stay away from dumb game modes like deathmatch as i find that boring in every game not just GTA and never touch that mode.

So far my pegasus vehicle purchases include:

Tank
Insurgent 50cal.
Valkyrie
Hydra
Dump
Dodo
Merlin
Vestra
Marshal America

So i can cause some random havoc ranging from driving around in the monster truck to flying around in the harrier jet or driving around with some friends in the insurgent 50 cal. or flying with them in the Valkyrie.

i have even had some fun playing a game or 2 of golf with a couple people.

I think I've made like, 20k in a few hours of playing. Not nearly enough to buy anything interesting. Every time I try to join anything it's full or just sits loading.

Just started playing online and i'm not sure what i'm suppose to be doing lol.

Bought a house, dodo, and a car. I think the Dodo was a bad choice right now with only $100-200k left.

As others have mentioned just join as many missions as you can. You get more cash and unlock new weapons/cars/mods.

My first car was a Habenero, god awful. I don't remember buying it or if I just grabbed it off the street.

I think I've made like, 20k in a few hours of playing. Not nearly enough to buy anything interesting. Every time I try to join anything it's full or just sits loading.

You can run normal jobs solo, Escape, Online, Jobs, Rockstar created, Missions and then choose the one you are high enough level to start.

They range from 1-4 players to 1-6 and you can do them solo without a kuruma on hard.

You can also do Survival mode and if you beat all 10 waves you get 30k. the easiest maps are Processed (hide in the smaller of the 2 warehouses in the dumpster and just blind fire to kill everyone) and Sandy Survival there is a cornet section with a trash bin dumpster you can stand behind to clear it out. you can easily kill the choppers in the survival modes by shooting the tail rotor with the marksmen rifle that is way faster than going for pilots or gunners.

you can also join my crew since we play most nights as well if you need someone to play with http://socialclub.rockstargames.com/crew/o-wulf-o_o-pack-o

You can run normal jobs solo, Escape, Online, Jobs, Rockstar created, Missions and then choose the one you are high enough level to start.

They range from 1-4 players to 1-6 and you can do them solo without a kuruma on hard.

You can also do Survival mode and if you beat all 10 waves you get 30k. the easiest maps are Processed (hide in the smaller of the 2 warehouses in the dumpster and just blind fire to kill everyone) and Sandy Survival there is a cornet section with a trash bin dumpster you can stand behind to clear it out. you can easily kill the choppers in the survival modes by shooting the tail rotor with the marksmen rifle that is way faster than going for pilots or gunners.

you can also join my crew since we play most nights as well if you need someone to play with http://socialclub.rockstargames.com/crew/o-wulf-o_o-pack-o
Last night I got invited to play in a heist where we would of gotten 125k each or something. Right when the mission was about to end the host disconnected..

Can I join pls? :D

yes

We do use Teamspeak and have a couple servers, depends on who is on really for which one we are using at a given time heh.

wulfpack.kicks-ass.net

pw = bob

also

hardcorpsclan.ts.nfoservers.com

i usually idle in both with different tabs, the hardcorp one is generally more noisy than the wulfpack one so if you want a more peaceful experience the wulfpack ts is better.

Last edited:
For those of you who love used graphics cards like me, or are holding off on getting the game due to older hardware, it actually runs decent on really cheap stuff if you aren't too picky.

Work machine 1:

i5 2500k
24gb ram
$25 GTX 260

1024x768, all settings on low, FXAA

Stays real close or at 60 fps pretty much all through the benchmark. Very playable online, just doesn't look that great. No lag, skipping, or tearing despite no driver support.

Work machine 2:

i5 660
10gb ram
2 x $25 GTX 260 superclocks in SLI

1650x1050, all settings on low except shadows up one step, FXAA, 30-35fps in the benchmark. 30 fps isn't great, but I guess that's what the console players get.

I intend to find out but the going rate on GTX 460s $35 shipped - I bet two of them in SLI would do fairly well.

Yeah, I'm at 1080 in fullscreeen mode. Most settings pegged, but a few (grass, water) dialed down a hair. Sticking to FXAA instead of MSAA. There are times when I'm driving quickly in the desert (near the huge mountain) that I'll full-on drop down to 30fps, but it bounces back. I have Afterburner permanently on - I wonder if that's helping?

This sounds like you are experiencing the vsync bug. When you're in the mountain areas with lots of grass and you notice the game drop to 30fps, try Alt-tabbing out and back in and you'll notice your frames will no longer dip to 30.

I get the feeling it's actually a rendering issue related to vsync opposed to a frame buffering issue.

This sounds like you are experiencing the vsync bug. When you're in the mountain areas with lots of grass and you notice the game drop to 30fps, try Alt-tabbing out and back in and you'll notice your frames will no longer dip to 30.

I get the feeling it's actually a rendering issue related to vsync opposed to a frame buffering issue.

I don't think that's a bug, that's just the game being demanding with tons of grass and light/shadow effects on the screen. It isn't going right to 30fps - more like mid 30's for a few seconds. The rest of the game is 55-60 and it doesn't ever stay at a low fps, it just temporarily drops.

Has any crossfire uses noticed any problems with the most recent patch? I'm running the 15.4 beta drivers which were working well. But just recently I've been having problems with the game crashing and not being able to relaunch. Disabling crossfire fixes the problem. Are there any work arounds for this?

Btw a single Radeon 7950 3GB is driving this game very well at 2560x1600 with everything cranked up. :D

this game has the worst online system I have ever seen.
Getting in the same game as your friends is a terrible experience. It often fails, and when it does, it loads you back into single player, so you have to reload into MP, and then retry joining your friends game.
I just spent 2 hours going between loading screens trying to match up with a friend.

I get sessions where everyone drops, I get countless time outs. its just terrible.

honestly, fuck this, until they patch this, GTA is uninstalled from my system.

Last edited:
you can join your friends from single player, it is actually faster to load single then join your friend directly

I don't think that's a bug, that's just the game being demanding with tons of grass and light/shadow effects on the screen. It isn't going right to 30fps - more like mid 30's for a few seconds. The rest of the game is 55-60 and it doesn't ever stay at a low fps, it just temporarily drops.

It is a bug when you can demonstrably see a frame rate increase simply by alt-tabbing out and back in. There is obviously a performance issue that is restricting the game from playing at optimal framerate.

When the game locks to 30fps and I use alt-tab, the game will often be restored to the 40's-50's range in the same offending area.

Multiple users have verified the same issue.

this game has the worst online system I have ever seen.
Getting in the same game as your friends is a terrible experience. It often fails, and when it does, it loads you back into single player, so you have to reload into MP, and then retry joining your friends game.
I just spent 2 hours going between loading screens trying to match up with a friend.

I get sessions where everyone drops, I get countless time outs. its just terrible.

honestly, fuck this, until they patch this, GTA is uninstalled from my system.

yeah its bad for sure, but what u should do instead is join solo online that usually always connects u and u still get job offers etc from friends duno how they could implement such a bad online system for this kind of game.. :mad:

Is this hard ocp social club or whatever it's called that I found searching from this thread? Anyone active on it? I noticed there were only 20 or so players in it

finished my monthly objective today.

6NsWUQQ.jpg

It is a bug when you can demonstrably see a frame rate increase simply by alt-tabbing out and back in. There is obviously a performance issue that is restricting the game from playing at optimal framerate.

When the game locks to 30fps and I use alt-tab, the game will often be restored to the 40's-50's range in the same offending area.

Multiple users have verified the same issue.

Could be paging related; alt-tabing is basically forcing everything to be re-loaded into RAM again, so you'll get the absolute latest complete state in RAM, thus reducing the amount of paging necessary in the short term.

Everything I've seen in regards to GTA V performance seems to indicate a memory leak, and because the .exe is 64-bit, it's happily gobbling up upwards of 8GB of RAM, rather then the 2GB in ye olden days. And that WILL cause paging, which WILL affect performance.

Hence the downside of 64-bit exe's: day 1 memory leaks are going to start causing server performance problems until they get fixed. Gaming rigs should pretty much run 16GB standard now, and I'd argue most new rigs should probably run at least 24GB. RAM is going to be a problem again really soon.

finished my monthly objective today.

6NsWUQQ.jpg
They really need to boost those rewards.
The amount of time it takes to completely daily objvs every day for 30 days straight outweighs the rewards you get at the end...

Daily
$25,000
3,000 RP

Weekly
$100,000
15,000 RP
You get this bonus for every seven consecutive days you complete tasks

Monthly
$500,000
50,000 RP
You get this bonus for every twenty-eight consecutive days you complete tasks

Wouldn't the total be $1.6m + 194K RP? That's not too bad.
Assuming it takes 30 minutes per day, that's 14 hours. You can make $/RP four times faster by just doing missions.
It takes 3 hours to make 194,000 RP ($450,000) in missions.

Some of the objectives can be a real pain in the ass, too.

Back