Grand Theft Auto V uses over 14 GB of VRAM when maxed out.

Its reporting the VRAM wrong for me. On my 980 gtxs in SLI I have it maxxed at 2560X1440P with 4XMSAA and TXAA enabled and it says im using 7880 Ram, im pretty sure it needs to be cut in half. At those settings the game plays like a dream with Gsync enabled. If it was truly at the number it would even load or run.

It seems to be adding up all the VRAM in multi GPU systems. It says I have 9GB with my 3way SLI 780tis. Looks like it's doing the same for you guys with SLI 980s showing 8GB.

1) That's at 4K with 8X MSAA
2) Those VRAM calculators usually double count systems with multiple GPUs.

As others have pointed out, I think its doubling the VRAM usage for SLI systems.

going to be interesting to see when this game is out and the screaming starts on how horrible it is.... might be more entertaining than the game itself.

its out, most people have said it runs like a champ, on both camps...

I went into the options menu and went crazy with settings at 1080p and it runs perfectly smooth. Only thing I can think of off the top of my head that wasn't at max was the MSAA that I set to 2X instead of 8x. I always set my MSAA to 2x so I did the same in GTA V.

Not one hiccup or frame drop.

So to people who have a Titan X or a 8GB video card, how much VRAM does this game actually use running everything maxed at 4K?

Here's my different VRAM measurements on my system that has Titan X SLI and a 1440P G-Sync display:

Benchmark and first VRAM measurement (4XMSAA + TXAA) with Titan X [email protected] GHz:
GTAVSettings.jpg

Frames Per Second (Higher is better) Min, Max, Avg
Pass 0, 49.091476, 96.878372, 79.289520
Pass 1, 21.606398, 147.072784, 51.193653
Pass 2, 33.830849, 146.311584, 69.318916
Pass 3, 32.435146, 195.170731, 86.105736
Pass 4, 19.214289, 166.838837, 69.332642

Time in milliseconds(ms). (Lower is better). Min, Max, Avg
Pass 0, 10.322222, 20.370134, 12.612007
Pass 1, 6.799355, 46.282589, 19.533672
Pass 2, 6.834729, 29.558821, 14.426077
Pass 3, 5.123719, 30.830753, 11.613628
Pass 4, 5.993808, 52.044601, 14.423221

VRAM use (with above settings):

N0EqieM.jpg

VRAM usage at 1440P 8XMSAA, TXAA OFF:
nygDkQ8.jpg

Sorry for the large images, I guess this forum doesn't auto resize. Will resize and upload them in a bit.

Never trust the in-game measurement. Always get real measurements from a program like GPU-Z or MSi AB. I'm pretty much maxed out on 970 SLI except for AA at 2560x1440 and the game runs like a dream, and looks great to boot. The in-game measurement says it's over 7GB, but I have no VRAM-related issues (haven't actually looked at MSi AB for real usage, yet).

Here's my different VRAM measurements on my system that has Titan X SLI and a 1440P G-Sync display:

Benchmark and first VRAM measurement (4XMSAA + TXAA) with Titan X [email protected] GHz:
GTAVSettings.jpg

Frames Per Second (Higher is better) Min, Max, Avg
Pass 0, 49.091476, 96.878372, 79.289520
Pass 1, 21.606398, 147.072784, 51.193653
Pass 2, 33.830849, 146.311584, 69.318916
Pass 3, 32.435146, 195.170731, 86.105736
Pass 4, 19.214289, 166.838837, 69.332642

Time in milliseconds(ms). (Lower is better). Min, Max, Avg
Pass 0, 10.322222, 20.370134, 12.612007
Pass 1, 6.799355, 46.282589, 19.533672
Pass 2, 6.834729, 29.558821, 14.426077
Pass 3, 5.123719, 30.830753, 11.613628
Pass 4, 5.993808, 52.044601, 14.423221

VRAM use (with above settings):

N0EqieM.jpg

VRAM usage at 1440P 8XMSAA, TXAA OFF:
nygDkQ8.jpg

Sorry for the large images, I guess this forum doesn't auto resize. Will resize and upload them in a bit.

Alright, now try that with a real resolution. What's the VRAM usage at 2160p?

1440p is almost peasant-tier nowadays. ;)

Alright, now try that with a real resolution. What's the VRAM usage at 2160p?

1440p is almost peasant-tier nowadays. ;)

I'd much rather have 1440p 144Hz G-Sync than 4K 60Hz for gaming.

I'd much rather have 1440p 144Hz G-Sync than 4K 60Hz for gaming.

This i was running 60hz screens for too long and just got the ACER XB270HU and damn was blown away, best upgrade i did since my SONY CRT 2001.
After playing for a week with 144hz G-Sync i tried my old Dell u3011 and i thought was defective or something looked like Vaseline smeared screen, was that bad i have no idea how i played games on it for so long...
I think beside changing your HDD to SDD this is the most drastic upgrade someone can do to there PC until new Screen techs shows up.

Owning both Acer G-Sync variants (4k 60hz and 1440p 144hz), I have to agree that I'd go with the 144hz for gaming (IPS screen is also a big plus).

Let me know when they start making 144 Hz G-Sync screens that aren't designed for ants.

I'm not an ant, so until they start manufacturing displays with G-Sync and high refresh rates at a reasonable size, I'll be sticking with my 65" curved FALD 60 Hz 4K TV with active 3D.

Let me know when they start making 144 Hz G-Sync screens that aren't designed for ants.

I'm not an ant, so until they start manufacturing displays with G-Sync and high refresh rates at a reasonable size, I'll be sticking with my 65" curved FALD 60 Hz 4K TV with active 3D.

Im sorry but we are talking about realistic Computer usage seating 2-3 feet away not couch PC usage i do use my 65" for playing games when i feel like it but that's not daily scenario.

No one cares that you have a 65" 4K TV, especially on computer hardware forum talking about gaming.

There's nothing wrong about playing on a 65" 4K TV, it's just how he said it, like it was somehow better than a PC monitor. The TV most likely has a VA panel which means motion will look terrible by comparison to other LCD variants and because it's a TV the input lag is probably pretty high.

Using a monitor is fine considering you sit 2 feet from the screen. Your field of view and visual acuity on seeing detail on for a large-ish high resolution monitor is higher than where most would get from a typical distance from a 65" TV. But maybe he's using his 65" TV as a monitor and sits 2-3 feet from it?

But maybe he's using his 65" TV as a monitor and sits 2-3 feet from it?

Just thinking about that fills me with an uncomfortable feeling of being smothered and vertigo. I tried my 42" 1080p LG for a few weeks and did not like it at all.

I could game on my 83" mits dlp but I love my new asus 27" 2560x1440 144hz g-sync monitor!! No going back to 60 after living in the fast butter smooth lane.

Still have yet to try out gta5 as I'm trying to get further in dying light. :/

The input lag on the Samsung TV is 21ms; I'm not autistic so I don't sperg out over a few extra fractions of a second of input lag. I don't notice a difference between a 10ms input lag and a 30ms input lag. I game with a wireless mouse and keyboard and wireless Xbox 360 controller too. On a scale of 1-10, how thoroughly does that rustle your jimmies?

Secondly, I sit about 5' away from this screen with a recliner, not a couch. It is my PC display, I don't even own a monitor and I haven't owned a monitor for over five years. I do all my work on this screen, from gaming to browsing to programming.

Typically I need a FOV of 90 or higher; anything less is too narrow and feels like tunnel vision. Console peasantry doesn't have nearly enough horsepower to drive a television display; the new generation of consoles can barely do 1080p @ 30 FPS. I doubt even the next generation of the peasant boxes can drive 2160p @ 60 FPS. So televisions are truly meant for PC gaming as PC gaming is the only medium that uses televisions to their full capability.

It sounds like you guys are butthurt that you have to be hunched over a desk in an uncomfortable chair squinting at a tiny little screen with an uncomfortable headset molesting your head while I get to relax in pure comfort in my comfy recliner and massive surround sound speaker system when I play games. I can literally sit here all day long without an ounce of discomfort if I want.

My ideal screen would have 65", active 3D, curved, 4K, 120 Hz or higher, and G-Sync, so it would need a DisplayPort 1.3 on it, but since we live in an imperfect world where no perfect displays such as this exist we have to put up with trade-offs, and ant-sized screens with low resolutions and no 3D are an unacceptable trade-off to me.

The input lag on the Samsung TV is 21ms; I'm not autistic so I don't sperg out over a few extra fractions of a second of input lag. I don't notice a difference between a 10ms input lag and a 30ms input lag. I game with a wireless mouse and keyboard and wireless Xbox 360 controller too. On a scale of 1-10, how thoroughly does that rustle your jimmies?

Secondly, I sit about 5' away from this screen with a recliner, not a couch. It is my PC display, I don't even own a monitor and I haven't owned a monitor for over five years. I do all my work on this screen, from gaming to browsing to programming.

Typically I need a FOV of 90 or higher; anything less is too narrow and feels like tunnel vision. Console peasantry doesn't have nearly enough horsepower to drive a television display; the new generation of consoles can barely do 1080p @ 30 FPS. I doubt even the next generation of the peasant boxes can drive 2160p @ 60 FPS. So televisions are truly meant for PC gaming as PC gaming is the only medium that uses televisions to their full capability.

It sounds like you guys are butthurt that you have to be hunched over a desk in an uncomfortable chair squinting at a tiny little screen with an uncomfortable headset molesting your head while I get to relax in pure comfort in my comfy recliner and massive surround sound speaker system when I play games. I can literally sit here all day long without an ounce of discomfort if I want.

My ideal screen would have 65", active 3D, curved, 4K, 120 Hz or higher, and G-Sync, so it would need a DisplayPort 1.3 on it, but since we live in an imperfect world where no perfect displays such as this exist we have to put up with trade-offs, and ant-sized screens with low resolutions and no 3D are an unacceptable trade-off to me.

The 4K TV isn't impressive if that's what you're trying to get at. Most of us here (assumption) can afford to do what you do, we just choose not to.

Get a load of this pleb, he's still using screens. I'll just sit here with my direct neural interface while you fools cook your retinas with diodes. Enjoy that "force feedback" from your 360 controller while my sub-dermal haptic implants let me feel every pothole in the road beneath my car. I feel every headshot, every bong rip. If free-falling from half a mile above Los Santos doesn't make you projectile vomit all over your living room, your setup isn't even half as hardcore as mine. I had three consecutive heart attacks during the prologue.

get on my level

Owning both Acer G-Sync variants (4k 60hz and 1440p 144hz), I have to agree that I'd go with the 144hz for gaming (IPS screen is also a big plus).

I've gamed for years on 120hz back in the crt days. The switch to lcd didn't do me any harm. And I'm perfectly fine with tft, I've tried ips monitor but didn't seem any better to me. Especially for gaming.

I'lll chose more eyecandy over more fps anytime.

LOL this is getting good.

Seriously, though, what TV are you using? I didn't think the 4K FALDs were out yet.

Samsung JS9500 series has been out for about a month now. It is FALD, 4K @ 60 Hz, HDMI 2.0, supports full RGB 4:4:4 @ 4K60, has a low input lag, and it is the only television that supports stereoscopic 3D @ 4K resolution using active 3D technology. (Samsung's 2014 4K TV models do too) It also has a curve which is fantastic. It's future-proofed, being a 10-bit display with HDR support, as well as supporting Samsung's One Connect box for future port upgrades.

It would be the perfect display if it had G-Sync and accepted a 120 Hz input @ 4K instead of 60 Hz. Maybe that will be Samsung's killer app for their 2016 model 4K TVs; a DisplayPort 1.3 input.

Quick, now tell us how huge your dick is.

Samsung JS9500 series has been out for about a month now. It is FALD, 4K @ 60 Hz, HDMI 2.0, supports full RGB 4:4:4 @ 4K60, has a low input lag, and it is the only television that supports stereoscopic 3D @ 4K resolution using active 3D technology. (Samsung's 2014 4K TV models do too) It also has a curve which is fantastic. It's future-proofed, being a 10-bit display with HDR support, as well as supporting Samsung's One Connect box for future port upgrades.

It would be the perfect display if it had G-Sync and accepted a 120 Hz input @ 4K instead of 60 Hz. Maybe that will be Samsung's killer app for their 2016 model 4K TVs; a DisplayPort 1.3 input.

Very nice. :cool:

G-sync (and Freesync if it's not crappy) is something I hope comes to TV's sooner rather than later. The 1000 nits on that thing is very nice, though. Can you find any content that works with HDR on PC right now, or is that something you have to wait on? Post some pics, it's always nice to see someone with a nice set up.

You know you have lost when you have to make "justification" and "excuses" for the flaws of your solution.
Only one buthurt seems to be you...buthurt that simple size in inches dosn't impress us...as we more educated.

Gaming on a TV.....lol

Back