Grand Theft Auto V Preloads

HardOCP News

[H] News
GTA V preloads started yesterday for those of you that pre-ordered the digital version of the game. The crew at Blue's News has a little advice for those of you still deciding between digital and disc versions of the game:

The preloads are particularly appropriate in this case, as the download is 60 GB, and it's not always coming across at full speed (at times it is not even coming across at full modem speeds, though this is drastically improved today). Unfortunately the download process is going to put a hurting on your computer for the lengthy period it runs, as we see it here averaging about 25% usage on a quad-core CPU. For those at all CPU or bandwidth limited, getting the disc version seems advisable.

Got mine all downloaded yesterday, will be ready to go on the 14th, if they stick with that release date this time.

can you preload if you haven't purchased yet, or did they have a cut off date?
I will buy it tonight if i can preload.

60GB, ouch. Oh well, better make some room... or better yet just replace my storage capacity, I am running on borrowed time with a drive that's pushing 8+ years.

can you preload if you haven't purchased yet, or did they have a cut off date?
I will buy it tonight if i can preload.

You can only preload if you've purchased the game.

If you buy the game outside of Steam, you'll get a key for the Rockstar Social Club and use their downloader, which is where this 25% CPU usage is coming from. If you buy through Steam, it just gets downloaded through their service normally.

You can only preload if you've purchased the game.

If you buy the game outside of Steam, you'll get a key for the Rockstar Social Club and use their downloader, which is where this 25% CPU usage is coming from. If you buy through Steam, it just gets downloaded through their service normally.

thanks for the reply, I realize you have to purchase the game, i meant, was there a cut-off date for pre-orders to qualify for predload, or can i buy it tonight and start predownloading?

Preload is available any time up until it releases...then it's just a regular download :p.

Meh I'm old school anyway, so I'll just be buying the disc version.

Meh I'm old school anyway, so I'll just be buying the disc version.

Do they do that anymore? Last time I bought the disc version (Diablo 3, granted 2 years after it was released) it had discs but still downloaded the entire game instead of installing anything from the discs.

Preload is available any time up until it releases...then it's just a regular download :p.

thanks!... i thought it might have been something special for early preorders, but i guess they just got game cash.

downloaded it last night, took 5 hours and 60gb. Not a big deal when I have about 6 TB of space.

Jesus that's big.

it's not my kind of game, but I'm kind of curious what they have done with all that space...

I'm surprised the downloads were slow.

I can usually max out my connection at 18.75MB/s on Steam. (it's one of the few things that can do that)

At that speed, it should take just under an hour.

Zarathustra[H];1041534712 said:
Jesus that's big.

it's not my kind of game, but I'm kind of curious what they have done with all that space...

Hi-res textures, uncompressed audio, FMV's/cutscenes, etc. Stuff adds up.

Zarathustra[H];1041534712 said:
Jesus that's big.

4k textures are 4k

so, this preload "should" mean the release will be on time?

Do they do that anymore? Last time I bought the disc version (Diablo 3, granted 2 years after it was released) it had discs but still downloaded the entire game instead of installing anything from the discs.

Yeah, I'm wondering how much those getting the game on disc will need to download.

60 GB? Hard drives and internet connections are screaming for sure. :eek:

ISP Rep: Sir, WTF are you downloading, you are killing your node and eating up your monthly bandwidth.

You: Just GTA:V yo.

ISP Rep: Holy hell, carry on Sir.

i downloaded it at my full speed of 60mbit, only took little over 2 hours to download it.

I wish I could download it as a zip file on my phone which has a download speed 10x that of my home connection. Of course even with unlimited data something tells me 60GB would violate some sort of "excessive use" rules.

Zarathustra[H];1041535167 said:
Why on earth would they waste space by not do.pressing audio???

I'm assuming some of that is uncompressed audio, I haven't actually read anything on it if it is or not :D.

Zarathustra[H];1041535167 said:
Why on earth would they waste space by not do.pressing audio???

There's no proof that there is any uncompressed audio. People just making assumptions.

Got my copy preloaded last night. GMG has a coupon to get the game for 45 if anyone is interested. I used it a few days ago so I think its still good:

25DEAL-ZONTVA-GEXCLU

From dealzon:
http://www.dealzon.com/deals/grand-theft-auto-v#grand-theft-auto-v-pc-download

I also noticed the downloader maxing out a single thread for the duration. When it started up it was going at maybe 200KB/s but after a while it started feeding me my usual 6+MB/s.

60GB, damn I better get my download started last week.

What turns me off on this game isn't the Hot Coffee but its the Bald Protagonist who is like a exterminator for bugs just lame.

At Least Red Dead Redemption had class but Rockstar lets everyone go most of the time after completing a project on a mass scale.

Back