Grand Theft Auto: The Trilogy – The Definitive Edition

wtf happened here?
"Available" spelled wrong, "Air" spelled wrong, should be WANK not HENK. Guitars missing.

Original
ScreaminColinsGuitars-GTAVC.jpg

Remaster
7101yp926yy71.jpg

I finally finished GTAV not long ago. I really love these open-world games. It does seem very strange to me that they would use a completely different game engine for these remastered versions compared to the GTAV engine. That makes me think that these games are probably going to have a different feel compared to GTAV. As much as I loved these older versions when they were new, I think I'm inclined to wait for the next "new" version of GTA. Will the next new version use the unreal engine also, or an evolved version of the GTAV engine?
I think I understand what you're saying and I'm glad I played them on PlayStation 2 (GTA3, SA, VC) or 360 (GTA4) back then, because they have consistently butchered all newer releases of those games. I assume that development tools back then were very different between platforms, which is why PC saw a lot of crappy console ports in the past. Porting those games to other platforms would require a talented and dedicated team and those are not resources that Rockstar wants to acquire or commit.

If people are really seeing poor performance on consoles per that reddit thread, they should request a refund. If it's that bad and made it through an approval process for consoles, it's probably not going to get fixed any time soon. Get your $60 back, see if they fix it, buy it on sale later. There is no excuse for that.

wtf happened here?
"Available" spelled wrong, "Air" spelled wrong, should be WANK not HENK. Guitars missing.

Original

Remaster
I saw mention of AI upscaling or intentional removal of sexual innuendo, but there are many misspellings around the game so that seems to indicate AI upscaling was lazily used.

Having never played a GTA game, I was interested to see how this would turn out. Guess I still don't need to bother.

I know they're old games and it isn't an easy task to port older PS2 era games over but this is pathetic. Best selling video game in history with a massive profit margin from the multiplayer. They could've afforded to take their time.

Looks like a remaster in the vein of Warcraft 3 refunded, a lazy and quick remaster to just make more money off fans. Shame so many companies take the easy way for a quick buck and dont give fans what they would want.

I know they're old games and it isn't an easy task to port older PS2 era games over but this is pathetic. Best selling video game in history with a massive profit margin from the multiplayer. They could've afforded to take their time.
Would have helped if they spent more than what the pulled out of their couch cushions on the remasters and handed it off to a studio that does more than mobile ports.

Would have helped if they spent more than what the pulled out of their couch cushions on the remasters and handed it off to a studio that does more than mobile ports.

What they should've done:

1) Remake RDR on PC. Use RDR2 tech, game still looks great. RDR2 sold 50 million copies, that can easily translate to 5 million on PC, if not 8-10 million or even more. Release on modern consoles. They'll make a profit.

2) Picked one of the classic GTA games and made a full remake.

They have the money, and know they will sell. I know these were clearly cheap cash grabs but with the rough launch ones have to wonder how much they'll actually make. Probably still come out on top, but they could've made more money.

I was mainly worried that they'd screw up the gameplay with new controls but it looks like I should have been worried about everything else, I can't believe they pulled the originals for this dreckfest. After watching the video above it looks like there was more creativity and effort put into hiding the jankiness in promotional videos than into actually remastering the game.

I was hoping that this would be worth picking up for VC and III but it looks like a hard pass in its current condition and I doubt it can even be salvaged at this point. Now my main hope is that this disaster doesn't dissuade them from remaking RDR with a PC version and if they do it I hope they don't let the studio that did this anywhere near it.

The higher ups in charge of these studios don't care about making a good game. They only care about making the minimum viable product for the lowest possible cost that fans will still eat up. Also see: Pokemon Legends: Arceus

It's unusual for Steam to pull old games, even in situations like this. They might not sell them anymore, but they rarely yank something from your paid library and block future downloads. That said, I could see Rockstar "updating" those old games and make them operate only via their launcher. That could complicate things if they really wanted to.
With this disaster and the publicity it's getting, they'll probably leave well enough alone, though.

Yeah, if you've already bought them, they won't vanish. The original versions just can't be purchased going forward, which is still bullshit, but not as bad.

Like most everything, they're cranking stuff out to meet shareholder projections. Gotta make the holiday release season. The speed of this release is pretty extreme by any standards, though. It went from an unlikely rumor to being for sale in like 3 months.

While this is a total mess, that's actually a decent way to handle things for PC owners. It's an overpriced way to get the classic games, but at least they're being restored for the folks that bought the remaster. Sucks for the console owners, though. That doesn't help them at all.

While this is a total mess, that's actually a decent way to handle things for PC owners. It's an overpriced way to get the classic games, but at least they're being restored for the folks that bought the remaster. Sucks for the console owners, though. That doesn't help them at all.
We don't know what the price of the classic game bundle will be, yet.

Offering refunds and bringing back the originals is a good way to handle the situation but they would have been better off if this project had never seen the light of day.

I don't own this, but it's good to see they are already addressing the bigger issues, I hope they fix the character models of atleast the major characters. If they actually turn this into a proper remaster I will pick it up, likely on sale.

Back