Grand Theft Auto: The Trilogy – The Definitive Edition

Article
https://www.rockstargames.com/newsw...ogy-the-definitive-edition-coming-november-11

Updated Player Experience making it easier than ever to play these classic games, including: A GTAV-style controller layout Improved gunplay and targeting controls, with upgraded drive-by controls in GTA: San Andreas Updated Weapon and Radio Station selection wheels Updated Mini-Maps with enhanced navigation allowing players to set waypoints to destinations The ability to immediately restart a failed mission Plus new Rockstar Games Social Club Accomplishments for members
Enhanced Visuals, with improved graphics and fidelity across all three games, including: Higher resolution textures from characters to weapons, vehicles to roads, and much more for greater detail A completely rebuilt lighting system with enhanced shadows, reflections, and more Improved water and weather effects Enhanced detail in trees and foliage Increased draw distances to provide a new level of depth and definition
Plus Platform-Specific Features, including: 4K—resolution support with up to 60 FPS performance for PlayStation 5 and Xbox Series X systems NVIDIA DLSS support for PC Touch screen camera zooming, pans and menu selections as well as Gyro aiming for the Nintendo Switch

Rockstar Launcher only, $60.

Trailer

Last edited:
The new graphics are interesting. More cartoony that I would have expected, but they aren't bad. I don't really need to go back through those games again, but I'd buy this if I wanted to.

The new graphics are interesting. More cartoony that I would have expected, but they aren't bad. I don't really need to go back through those games again, but I'd buy this if I wanted to.
I don't mind the models, but why does it seem like texture detail has gone down despite the increase in resolution? It doesn't help that the comparisons in the video look to have been made using the original PS2 versions.

I never thought I'd be replaying GTAIII again but looks like its worth the time. Hopefully the mechanics of the game feel better too.

The games will only be on the Rockstar Games Store and Microsoft Store on November 11, apparently. The Steam release is delayed by two months, much like RDR2 was.

With ENB and a few other tweaks San Andreas can look much better than that and all them look better on PC than whatever version they used for comparison. I'm also concerned that changing the controls even if it's for the better could substantially alter how some missions play, on the other hand the main reason I haven't gone back and played VC or III in quite a while is that the controls are so clunky.

If the reviews aren't too bad I'm sure I'll pick it up at some point for III and VC but I think there's a good chance I'll still prefer the original SA(with Silent patch and a few other mods/tweaks).

With ENB and a few other tweaks San Andreas can look much better than that and all them look better on PC than whatever version they used for comparison. I'm also concerned that changing the controls even if it's for the better could substantially alter how some missions play, on the other hand the main reason I haven't gone back and played VC or III in quite a while is that the controls are so clunky.

If the reviews aren't too bad I'm sure I'll pick it up at some point for III and VC but I think there's a good chance I'll still prefer the original SA(with Silent patch and a few other mods/tweaks).
cool, enjoy the originals then

The screenshots i'm seeing show a pretty serious improvement across the board. Couple that with the fact that the originals have some issues on modern systems, I may actually pick this up.

I don't mind the 'cartoony' look, because the original style of the games is preserved while still increasing the model & texture quality. This isn't just a simple reshade.

I havnt been keeping up with this, i was wondering about san andreas. I love the game but on PC i could never get the controls to work does anyone have good info on what they have done with san andreas, An is it worth a purchase.

I havnt been keeping up with this, i was wondering about san andreas. I love the game but on PC i could never get the controls to work does anyone have good info on what they have done with san andreas, An is it worth a purchase.
that reminds me of this adaptor I bought to use my Playstation controller on my PC to play the GTA games back in the day.
from what I remember, the controls were still kinda wonky and didn't feel as good as playing on my PS2.
I'll probably get the Trilogy when it hits Steam.
ps2-to-pc.jpg

The games are basically running on the GTA5 engine, and use those controls.

that reminds me of this adaptor I bought to use my Playstation controller on my PC to play the GTA games back in the day.
from what I remember, the controls were still kinda wonky and didn't feel as good as playing on my PS2.
I'll probably get the Trilogy when it hits Steam.
View attachment 409838
I had the same thing for the longest time. Used mainly to play ffxi back in the day.

I'm excited! I really like GTA SA but everytime i went back to play it {on pc} The controls killed it for me withing the first 30min.

I finally finished GTAV not long ago. I really love these open-world games. It does seem very strange to me that they would use a completely different game engine for these remastered versions compared to the GTAV engine. That makes me think that these games are probably going to have a different feel compared to GTAV. As much as I loved these older versions when they were new, I think I'm inclined to wait for the next "new" version of GTA. Will the next new version use the unreal engine also, or an evolved version of the GTAV engine?

I like the feel of as you say the open world in GTAV and they did a lot with what vram being used and the demand on the gpu is light .. seem more cpu bound as thats a 3700x

I finally finished GTAV not long ago. I really love these open-world games. It does seem very strange to me that they would use a completely different game engine for these remastered versions compared to the GTAV engine. That makes me think that these games are probably going to have a different feel compared to GTAV. As much as I loved these older versions when they were new, I think I'm inclined to wait for the next "new" version of GTA. Will the next new version use the unreal engine also, or an evolved version of the GTAV engine?
I agree i wanna wait for the next GTA but something about the theme an setting about GTA SA i just love it, that 90s gangbanger hip hop! Hydos on the lowriders, so good!

The remaster footage is from consoles, possibly from livestreams so it's not good for a direct comparison.

VC

SA is live right now:

Last edited:
Lighting is definitely better. Models and textures, I could take them or leave them.

Grand Theft Auto: The Trilogy- The Definitive Edition vs The Originals Graphics Comparison

Comparison video with PC since this is a PC thread. Again, love the updated lighting, but I have mixed feelings about the models and textures.

Comparison video with PC since this is a PC thread. Again, love the updated lighting, but I have mixed feelings about the models and textures.

The models and textures are definitely crude and cartoonish which I normally don't like but because of that it manages to have a similar feel to the old ones so they're starting to grow on me. I agree on the lighting though on pc you can use enb on the originals which helps quite a bit too.

My biggest concern still is whether the gameplay stays true to the originals with the new controls or if the new versions are at least properly rebalanced for them.

Back