Grand Theft Auto: The Trilogy – The Definitive Edition

Just read the article properly and seen that they are using the Unreal engine....interesting if true.

Reactions: Q-BZ
like this
Seems like it won't be a 100% modern remake. So decent graphics, but probably not up to 2021 standards. And of course PC will probably come later as the article suggests.

Still, gives me hope they might do an RDR remake. Considering some of the assets were in RDR2 I'd like to see such a thing come out for PC. I hated GTA4, thought 5 was okay, and RDR2 much better than both.

Reactions: Q-BZ
like this
I'll buy it.

I need to see this for RDR and especially since the land area for RDR and spots are all available in RDR2 as is. You can ride south and get to all of it. It's all there. All they have to do is "expansion pack" RD2 and we can have it all.

Seems like a big undertaking and beyond weird not to port them over to their own engine. At least unless there's a super easy way to port them to Unreal as-is with minimal work. I can see them porting those older games forward (just so people can play them on newer systems), but I bet they don't update 'em that much.

Seems like a big undertaking and beyond weird not to port them over to their own engine. At least unless there's a super easy way to port them to Unreal as-is with minimal work. I can see them porting those older games forward (just so people can play them on newer systems), but I bet they don't update 'em that much.
Tbh using UE just smells of low effort. UE runs on basically everything so they can milk this release on many different platforms. If true, the studio involved also doesn’t inspire much if any confidence. I’ll stick to the Vice City reverse-engineered release instead. Runs and looks great at modern resolutions and all I needed was my old VC disc.

Tbh using UE just smells of low effort. UE runs on basically everything so they can milk this release on many different platforms. If true, the studio involved also doesn’t inspire much if any confidence. I’ll stick to the Vice City reverse-engineered release instead. Runs and looks great at modern resolutions and all I needed was my old VC disc.

They want to put the game on the Switch, in which case UE makes sense. Otherwise I thought it was an odd choice to.

It would take rewriting a bit of the code if they don't want to be stuck at 30 fps since those games have the physics tied to the framerate and are designed for the 25-30 fps that they were originally locked to.

Announced, but no gameplay or screenshots... nothing.

https://twitter.com/RockstarGames/status/1446490576896073728

It will be Rockstar Launcher exclusive. Also Rockstar is removing the original games from all other storefronts. Yikes.

Rockstar’s collection promises “across-the-board upgrades including graphical improvements and modern gameplay enhancements” for all three games, “while still maintaining the classic look and feel of the originals.” Rockstar promises more details in the coming weeks, and warns that it will begin removing existing versions of those classic GTA games from digital retailers next week.
Grand Theft Auto: The Trilogy — The Definitive Edition is coming to Nintendo Switch, PlayStation 4, PlayStation 5, Windows PC (via the Rockstar Games Launcher), Xbox One, and Xbox Series X in 2021. The collection is also coming to Android and iOS devices in 2022.

Not a fan of them removing the originals from digital storefronts. Not that my opinion matters, but it feels like we're losing something. Realistically, I know that the vast majority of people who liked those games already own them in some form and will get to keep them, but they are such classics that it seems like they should stay and be available in their OG form. It's not uncommon for devs to release remastered or "definitive" editions of previous games while allowing both to co-exist.

Very much looking forward to the remastered editions, but not sure how I feel about them using UE. I'd rather see 3/VC/SA redone using the GTA: V engine. Oh well, let's see what they can come up with.

Will it moving to UE change the physics and how cars handle?

They should keep the original versions. They're video game classics and people who want to play the originals as they were should be able to. Of course, you'll always be able to download them elsewhere and most people already own the classics but still kind of lame.

I do wonder how much of a remake they will be.

This gives me hope for an RDR remake on PC, but I am still doubtful. The engine and graphics are still fairly modern and most of the core gameplay and some of the map content is even there in RDR2. I feel like that would be worthwhile and not too difficult if they do it soon, they'd sell at least 3-5 million copies on PC. Plus another 10+ million on consoles. Sales may even be close to 30-40 million seeing that RDR2 sold 50 million.

This thread should have just been under General Gaming since it's multiplatform and I doubt the PC version will differ much over any other platform in terms of IQ at least (mods withstanding of course).

I already have them all on Steam from a sale years ago, but I would prolly prefer to get it on Switch or PS4/5 to play on the TV or portably on Switch. I won't value the trilogy over $30 though and will wait for sale at that price or lower if it launches higher than that. I suspect it will be $50+ though and it better come with some extra content or something if they're going to charge that for it IMO.

It's 3 full games and in the case of San Andreas, it's a BIG ass game. Buying them all right now as-is is $35 on Steam. I can definitely see them charging more than the typical $30 remake price. I guess I'm curious to see how big of a remake this actually is. A lot of remakes tend to be console-focused and are basically giving people a way to play older games they can't play anymore. With PC's being modular and backwards compatible, it's probably not their target market.

I don't care how much it costs, I want it now, TAKE MY MONEY ROCKSTAR

can't wait to revisit Vice City

I don't care how much it costs, I want it now, TAKE MY MONEY ROCKSTAR

can't wait to revisit Vice City
Most "remasters" these days end up being garbage. Buggy games, missing features. I bet these games will have half the radio tracks missing due to licensing issues. The versions on Steam right now are already inferior to the original relases.
Maybe there will be mods to fix them.

Most "remasters" these days end up being garbage. Buggy games, missing features. I bet these games will have half the radio tracks missing due to licensing issues. The versions on Steam right now are already inferior to the original relases.
Maybe there will be mods to fix them.
Damn never thought of that. The radio was the best part of vice city. Flying around in an attack chopper blasting bad guys and cops alike, rocking out.

This thread should have just been under General Gaming since it's multiplatform

1633827799506.png

Damn never thought of that. The radio was the best part of vice city. Flying around in an attack chopper blasting bad guys and cops alike, rocking out.
There are patches that can restore the audio. They should have never removed the audio for people who already bought the game before the licenses expired. That was unprecedented and a dick move.

There are patches that can restore the audio. They should have never removed the audio for people who already bought the game before the licenses expired. That was unprecedented and a dick move.
I'm aware of several games having that done to them in the last few years but it's still complete bullshit, they shouldn't be allowed to retroactively cut content from games that people have already purchased.

Wait, so these won’t have the original soundtracks or will they?

Fuck, my original DVD copy of San Andreas just keeps getting better...

Whatever songs are in the current digital version of the games, which you can buy from rockstar's store atm, will most likely be in the definitive edition as rockstar still has the rights to use those songs. Over the years many of the hit songs had to be removed as the license expired. Can't blame the developers as purchasing the rights to hit songs in perpetuity is extremely, extremely expensive.

The music industry still haven't fully caught up to the modern times, and are still operating partly on older ways of thinking. It's not the game developer's fault they have to remove songs, place your anger towards the dinosaurs in the music industry.

Edit: there will most likely be mods for the PC version of the game to restore all the missing tracks.

Whatever songs are in the current digital version of the games, which you can buy from rockstar's store atm, will most likely be in the definitive edition as rockstar still has the rights to use those songs. Over the years many of the hit songs had to be removed as the license expired. Can't blame the developers as purchasing the rights to hit songs in perpetuity is extremely, extremely expensive.

The music industry still haven't fully caught up to the modern times, and are still operating partly on older ways of thinking. It's not the game developer's fault they have to remove songs, place your anger towards the dinosaurs in the music industry.

Edit: there will most likely be mods for the PC version of the game to restore all the missing tracks.
I don't think copyrighted content should be removed from copies that were purchased before the licenses expire. That has never happened before. It would be like removing Forza Motorsport 7 or other racing games from peoples' libraries completely after the licenses expired and not letting you download them again or play them after that date.

I don't think copyrighted content should be removed from copies that were purchased before the licenses expire. That has never happened before. It would be like removing Forza Motorsport 7 or other racing games from peoples' libraries completely after the licenses expired and not letting you download them again or play them after that date.
it happens pretty frequently, as long as it's not content that someone has paid for. example: the free Predator dlc for ghost recon wildlands, or the Ferraris from GTR 2. those are just the two off the top of my head but yeah, it happens all the time (not that i agree with it though.) now if it's paid dlc, like say a car pack for Forza, it should not and will not ever disappear from your account just because of legal changes between the publisher and licensor.

Cool, so this is only available through the cockstar launcher AND they already removed the original games from steam? Cant wait to not buy this once its released............

Back