Grand Theft Auto IV

Movieesa

Gawd
So i just bought this game on steam for cheap and i pumped up the graphics and all i have to say is that it has not aged well. Does anyone else think so?
Thank You

Hated how it looked. Logging into 3 things to play it is also kind of lame. Bought it for $5 last year and I've uninstalled it.

All I can say is you need ENBseries.

Unfortunately, it won't work with the Steam version unless the creator decides to make a new version.

I always thought it looked pretty good (last played it a few weeks ago). Unlike a lot of people I also thought it ran pretty well, too, considering the amount of stuff being drawn. Or at least it did until they messed with the engine when EFLC was released. And it never once crashed on me, which is saying something these days.
It's obviously not supposed to be photorealistic, it's a lot more stylised and cartoon-like than, say, Mafia 2 (and a lot more fun). There might be engine limitations, e.g. lack of AA, but it seems like you can force that in the drivers these days.
Never bothered with the ENB mod personally, even before the guy threw a hissy fit because Rockstar dared to update their own engine without consulting him.

I bought the steam version as well thinking of doing the texture mod but then realize it doesn't work for the steam version =( wish i knew that before hand. So there is no texture mod out there that work for steam?

it one of the best looking game on pc, there must br something wrong with your pc or with your head

I love the way it looks, the only neg imo is the lack of AA.

it one of the best looking game on pc, there must br something wrong with your pc or with your head

The Graphics are pretty good for the Genre but to call it the Best looking game on PC your way off.

that else is better? crysis ok diffrent but good, lots of shaders, metro is a corridor shotter, what else is better name it god dame it! or die!

that else is better? crysis ok diffrent but good, lots of shaders, metro is a corridor shotter, what else is better name it god dame it! or die!

Gothic 4, Two Worlds II, S.T.A.L.K.E.R. CoP, shall I continue?

no because you dont have the point, gothic 4 got better graphics then gta 4 on full?, it this a joke?

I love the way it looks, the only neg imo is the lack of AA.

You can either do ENBSeries which is gorgeous supersampling combined with a custom complete overhaul of the shader and lighting system with very sharp AA (but requires a supercomputer).

Or combine a high resolution texture mod with morphological antialiasing if you have an ATI 5xxx or 6xxx card and Win7. It doesn't look as good as ENBseries but it's close enough for gameplay.

I've played it both on 360 and PC, then PC modded. The game is not captivating at all, neither of my 4 playthroughs have been complete, or near 75% of the story. The game is drab in most regards, especially its characters. None, including Niko are really great at all.

Red Dead Redemption on the other hand is single handedly the best game I've played in atleast 5 years. Better than Mass Effects, Dragon Ages, Bioshocks, anything really. I recommend Red Dead, do not get the idea in your head that its anything remotely like GTA.

I've never seen GTA4 run smoothly on a PC :( The graphics mods look amazing in screenshots, but I have to wonder what kind of framerate they are getting. I have the Steam version and it crawls regardless of settings. Looking forward to someone trying it on a 5ghz SB.

I've played it both on 360 and PC, then PC modded. The game is not captivating at all, neither of my 4 playthroughs have been complete, or near 75% of the story. The game is drab in most regards, especially its characters. None, including Niko are really great at all.

The DLC is actually better than the main game in a number of ways particularly Ballad of Gay Tony.

Red Dead Redemption on the other hand is single handedly the best game I've played in atleast 5 years. Better than Mass Effects, Dragon Ages, Bioshocks, anything really. I recommend Red Dead, do not get the idea in your head that its anything remotely like GTA.

It's a tragedy that RDR is probably never coming to the PC. Rockstar really disappointed me there. That's too bad. That's just even more sales they'd be making.

I've been playing it on the PS3 since it came out and "graphics come down" notwitstanding I really can't get enough of it.

I've played the hell out of it and I promise you I'd STILL buy it on the PC on day one if I ever get an opportunity. That's how awesome that game is to me.

It looks pretty good for the scale of the game, there's not many other games which are that large and have seamless landscape with high quality graphics. Other games may beat the quality but they certainly won't be open sprawling areas, it's a trade off and I think that GTAIV does quite well.

It looks pretty good for the scale of the game, there's not many other games which are that large and have seamless landscape with high quality graphics. Other games may beat the quality but they certainly won't be open sprawling areas, it's a trade off and I think that GTAIV does quite well.

Post patches I've been very happy with GTAIV on the PC myself. My GTX 480 handles it just fine. :)

I don't really mind the look of the game with the details turned up a bit and things like view distance at least 1/2-way up.
When you get close, the game isn't pretty, but the scope of things (without loading) is pretty incredible.
My real gripe with the game is how poorly it runs. I have hardware that's capable of running it about as well as you can...but compared with a lot of other games, it really should run better than it does.
As a game, I prefer San Andreas anyway. It was more diverse. While it's cool to have a whole city to play around in, you're essentially locked down with where you can go for about 1/3 of the game.

Post patches I've been very happy with GTAIV on the PC myself. My GTX 480 handles it just fine. :)

Agreed, I was worried about getting GTAIV based on comments but took the plunge in the steam sales and was pleasantly suprised that it runs absolutely fine.

I've never seen GTA4 run smoothly on a PC :( The graphics mods look amazing in screenshots, but I have to wonder what kind of framerate they are getting. I have the Steam version and it crawls regardless of settings. Looking forward to someone trying it on a 5ghz SB.

As another Q6600 and 5870 user, I'd say this is near the bare minimum you'd need for GTA4 at max graphics settings @ 1920x1200 and smooth gameplay. Mods and ENBseries will further crush your system.

The game demands a powerful quad core. i7 users and GTX 480 should be fine.

Last edited:

Just Cause 2...

I puchased GTA4 the day it became available for the 360. Since then, I cannot even count the hours I spent playing it. I played it religiously for the first 2 years on the 360. I then purchased the DLC TBOGT and TLAD when they became available and continued to play them daily. I got the PS3 version of GTA4 and then the DLC for that as well when I went to PS3. I finally upgraded to the PC version (EFLC) about a year ago, which brought mods (god mode, no reloads/ammo, nitro, car spawning <3<3) and upgraded graphics.

Me and my roommate broke 75,000 kills in the first months of 360 playtime. I've never completed the story line, probably never beaten past the 10th mission of the original GTA4 and almost none of the DLC. I just run around the city causing destruction.

The PC version by far looks the best, I've never seen it maxed but there are some amazing screenshots out there with ENB and a few other tweaks/mods that are just incredible. Maybe not the best looking game ever, but insanely good for how much is being generated.
The 360 version is assuredly the best console offering, but thats not saying much (PS3 version is not great)

Sorry for the rant, just wanted to add my experiences to the thread.

I think it looks great with every single option maxed. Pushes a pair of GTX 480 hard at 2560.

It's a Rockstar game. They are never graphically impressive (as far as models, textures and lighting goes). They tend to make up for it in the detail and shear size of the environment, as well as the game play. Think back to GTA 3, Vice City, San Andreas. Even for their time, they were pretty lacking in the graphics department.

Here's a screenshot from GTA 3:

gta3.jpg

Even for a PS2 game, they weren't much to look at.

That's just how Rockstar operates. They aren't trying to blow you away with a billion polygon character models with 2 gig texture files for his shoes that a game with a smaller environment can afford to do... they instead go for the big picture. A huge environment where individual objects aren't overly impressive, but when added to all the other so-so objects to create a massive city scape... THAT'S what they want you to be impressed by.

Just Cause 2 went for the same thing, and you could argue that they pulled it off better too... so it's not really a foreign concept. But yeah. You shouldn't be surprised when a Rockstar game doesn't have mind blowing graphics. It's just not their thing.

I bought it and never played it. Went through 10 minutes of it and couldn't get into it. Same with San Andreas.

After Vice City, to me at least, no other GTA will compare. But if/when they make a revised Vice City with all new functions, now that will fucking rock.

I bought it and never played it. Went through 10 minutes of it and couldn't get into it. Same with San Andreas.

After Vice City, to me at least, no other GTA will compare. But if/when they make a revised Vice City with all new functions, now that will fucking rock.

Yeah everything after VIce City just didn't russle my jimmies

Vice City was my favorite in the series as well. It took me a while to get into San Andreas, but once I did I enjoyed it a lot. GTA 4 on the other hand, I've never really been able to get into. I've unlocked the second area (Manhattan clone), but that's about as far as I've motivated myself to go. Just doesn't have the same fun feel that the 3 series games had IMO.

I love grand theft auto but the Graphics even maxed are not that impressive. Its a very fun game but easily not one of the best graphical games ive seen by far.

Haha tons of memories here, I was a big fan of GTA3 on the PS2, about the same time as I was obsessed with CS 1.5. Vice city was pretty awesome with the things it added, and even though San Andreas felt a little different, it was also tons of fun. I wish GTA4 would match the map diversity of SA (mountain, country, city, etc)

I always wonder what GTA4 with the frostbite engine-like building physics would be like, or even being able to go into more buildings

I absolutely loved San Andreas. It was gigantic...almost to the point of being flawed as a result. You had 5 totally distinct regions (LA, rural, San Fran, desert, Vegas), tons of cars, weapons, houses, etc. There were also the missions where you learn to fly a plane, do car stunts, and gamble.
It lacked the cover system from GTA4 (and the weird physics), but otherwise it really had all of the same features and more.
The real downside of the game is that it was too big for a lot of people. There were a shit ton of missions and I only know a couple of people that ever even made it to the later ones&#8230;although the map was completely open from the start.

Guys what is the best Texture mod that works with Steam. I downloaded one last night & it said it doesnt work with Steam. Looking for mainly a Mod to help with the Crap Sun effects in this game cause the Sun is way over done & dulls out the colours

Not tring to derail the thread but is it confirmed somewhere that Red Dead is never coming to the PC? That would be retarded on Rockstars part.......

Id like to know this as well. The last time I read Rockstar said they had no plans on bring Red dead to the PC

Back