Grand Theft Auto 6 to have Huge Map at Launch

erek

[H]F Junkie
Hope GTA VI Online is good. Love GTA V Online.

"According to the latest report from our colleges over at TweakTown, Rockstar is working hard on its next-generation Grand Theft Auto game, precisely the 6th installment of it. Reportedly, Rockstar has been working on GTA 6 since 2014 and has invested a lot of resources into it. Being that GTA V launched in September of 2013, it seems like Rockstar has quickly started to work on the "next big thing". And big it will be (words of Master Yoda). On the contrary to previous reports that Rockstar will build a world for the next-generation game on a moderately-sized map, the latest information we have suggests that GTA 6 will be based on a "gigantic beast-sized map" as its base. This is exciting news for everyone excited to explore the open-world of GTA while completing missions and having fun. "

https://www.techpowerup.com/266060/grand-theft-auto-6-to-have-huge-map-at-launch

I thought it was announced that they were just starting development or something like that?
I remember Twitter was crying about it? That turned out to be wrong?
Regarding the SP vs MP, while I love the SP also, it seems most of R* user-base uses online mode.

I am excited to have a massive map. I think a local MP would be awesome on pc. If there was no limit to what each of the players can do or where they can go while in MP it would be badass. I doubt that'll be something they'd be working on though. Looking forward to playing this game regardless.

I thought it was announced that they were just starting development or something like that?
I remember Twitter was crying about it? That turned out to be wrong?
Regarding the SP vs MP, while I love the SP also, it seems most of R* user-base uses online mode.
Most their sales of 5 were before the MP was even a thing. I have never even tried the MP and have zero interest in 6 MP.

Map size was fine in the last one. It was big enough to have some diversity in location and some length for driving around. Think it was pretty much perfect because there wasn't as much time running around aimlessly if I recall. What they need to improve is the garbage combat, weapons and general mission design. Maybe AI to. And maybe they can make the area a bit more lively. I'd prefer that over more of the same in a bigger map.

That's a high mark to achieve.
1587494343405.png

RDR2 Online is the dumbest thing I have ever played....I will admit, I started it at the initial release of online. It was extremely boring, with no content. I have heard it changed a bit, but really was so put off with the lack of content, dont think I would bother. The SP kicked so much ass!

RDR2 Online is the dumbest thing I have ever played....I will admit, I started it at the initial release of online. It was extremely boring, with no content. I have heard it changed a bit, but really was so put off with the lack of content, dont think I would bother. The SP kicked so much ass!

Viper16 Even compared to Fallout 76?

I don't care for the online versions of any Rockstar games, but am a huge fan of the single-player GTA's. Whatever they do I just hope SP doesn't suffer.

I know a lot of people are clamoring for a return to Vice City, but I found it kind of sterile. Miami and Florida don't really have the same amount of unique personality that greater New York and California have. Especially outside of the 1980's. If they stay in the US, Chicago could be fun. Either that or Northern California up to Portland and Seattle. Most other large cities like Houston, Atlanta, Philly, Boston, etc. could basically be set anywhere once you get past the accents.

Most their sales of 5 were before the MP was even a thing. I have never even tried the MP and have zero interest in 6 MP.

Look at how much money they make selling shark cards. Single player sales are nothing compared to microtransactions.

Look at how much money they make selling shark cards. Single player sales are nothing compared to microtransactions.
I am talking about just game sells. It sold 11 million copies the first day. Looking at it just now I am surprised it sold 120 million copies to date 😳. They have no excuses to gimp SP with the mountains of money they made off 5.

Viper16 Even compared to Fallout 76?
Nothing worse the fallout 76. While RDR2 was boring it wasn't completely broken but yea they tried hard to push MT with it.

I will not purchase if SP is an afterthought.

If you're referring to lack of SP DLC, GTA 3/4/5, RDR 1/2 -- base game always massive and leaves me satisfied, some of the best writing/storytelling in the industry, never thought it was too short or that corners were cut somewhere.

I guess you always want more SP content when the base game is amazing, and GTA4 delivering three SP DLC's including two excellent 9/10 ones that were almost their own standalone games kinda spoiled us.

Last edited:
I can still recall a pretty considerable amount of the PS2 era's GTA maps in my head.

Can hardly remember shit about GTA5 even though I have probably like 300 hours in it. I feel like that's a sign that shit is big enough.

I was/am very happy with GTA 3/4/5 and RDR 1/2 just for the base game. Would I have liked more DLC, yes, but it was not a necessity. I bought GTA 5 twice it was that good...PS3 and then on PS4.

I can still recall a pretty considerable amount of the PS2 era's GTA maps in my head.

Can hardly remember shit about GTA5 even though I have probably like 300 hours in it. I feel like that's a sign that shit is big enough.

Could also just be the nondescript nature of the San Andreas map and where the game missions are, too. For all of the personality LA has and what they did with it, you spend most of the game in a handful of areas. Not always exciting ones, too. A good chunk of the map is barren and encourages you to drive through as fast as possible. In GTA San Andreas, they even managed to squeeze a faux San Francisco in the same space :p.
With the earlier games (even going back to GTA4), things are denser and they pace the plot so that you end up spending a lot of time in nearly every part of the map.

I don't care for the online versions of any Rockstar games, but am a huge fan of the single-player GTA's. Whatever they do I just hope SP doesn't suffer.

I know a lot of people are clamoring for a return to Vice City, but I found it kind of sterile. Miami and Florida don't really have the same amount of unique personality that greater New York and California have. Especially outside of the 1980's. If they stay in the US, Chicago could be fun. Either that or Northern California up to Portland and Seattle. Most other large cities like Houston, Atlanta, Philly, Boston, etc. could basically be set anywhere once you get past the accents.

I agree, GTA V stands out because of the unique Los Angeles environment. I hope the next one is somewhere like Tokyo or Europe. Other US cities apart from NY would be bland.

What is special about New York? LA (where GTA5 was based off of) is similar to Miami when it comes to what is shown in game based on fictionalized versions of the locales. Outside of SoCal I don't see how California is interesting. It is as plain and dry as you can get. Especially the bay area, which practically has zero identity and no real culture.

Chicago you have a point. But we already saw that in Watch Dogs, which was pretty much a better GTA.

GTA V didn't even get a second episode or Stories series or anything.

Rockstar too busy humping that MT ATM.

What is special about New York? LA (where GTA5 was based off of) is similar to Miami when it comes to what is shown in game based on fictionalized versions of the locales. Outside of SoCal I don't see how California is interesting. It is as plain and dry as you can get. Especially the bay area, which practically has zero identity and no real culture.

Chicago you have a point. But we already saw that in Watch Dogs, which was pretty much a better GTA.

Have you ever been to LA or Miami? They're nothing alike.

Tokyo with the Mt. Fuji area and the Izu Peninsula would be nice.

Or Hong Kong - for those of us who really wanted to play Sleeping Dogs 2.

Or Rio de Janeiro.

In the context of a GTA game they will feel exactly the same.
Vice City felt completely different than any other GTA, and some say it is the most atmospheric of all the games so far.

One thing is for sure Rockstar has a mountain to climb with GTA6, as GTAV was the least interesting of the franchise thus far. I played tons with the other GTAs after finishing the story, except with GTAV. There was really nothing to do in that one.

While I hate online I wish some aspects of it made it trough to the single player part. Mostly the RPG elements like custom player characters (not the stupid way they have it in GTAVOnline) and character progression. Yes, some of that was already in GTAV but in a completely meaningless way.

I don't know why rockstar insists on doing pre-defined characters when all of their player characters were mediocre or worse thus far. They never resonated with me, I constantly questioned their motives and actions. Including in Max Payne3, dragging down a well established and liked protagonist to the mud.

I hope this is more SP-centric than MP, in traditional GTA sense.

A big GTA map makes for happy GTA players...good thing it's not EA, or each city block would be a $5 MT.

One thing is for sure Rockstar has a mountain to climb with GTA6, as GTAV was the least interesting of the franchise thus far.

Yes, a 6+ Billion dollar mountain of money, it is the best-selling entertainment product of all time so apparently some people found it interesting.

I don't know why rockstar insists on doing pre-defined characters when all of their player characters were mediocre or worse thus far.
Seems like it's working for them.

Most of the user-base uses online mode because the game has been out for years, and they largely have finished playing it (although I will go back to play through it every now and then), so yeah they want more for their money and online is where it is. As mentioned this wasn't the case at launch, largely due to it not existing. And I'm sure the vast majority of money they make from online comes from a very small portion of the actual online community.

Personally if they make this an online game, I'm out, I have no fucking interest in doing so.

Vice City felt completely different than any other GTA, and some say it is the most atmospheric of all the games so far.

One thing is for sure Rockstar has a mountain to climb with GTA6, as GTAV was the least interesting of the franchise thus far. I played tons with the other GTAs after finishing the story, except with GTAV. There was really nothing to do in that one.

While I hate online I wish some aspects of it made it trough to the single player part. Mostly the RPG elements like custom player characters (not the stupid way they have it in GTAVOnline) and character progression. Yes, some of that was already in GTAV but in a completely meaningless way.

I don't know why rockstar insists on doing pre-defined characters when all of their player characters were mediocre or worse thus far. They never resonated with me, I constantly questioned their motives and actions. Including in Max Payne3, dragging down a well established and liked protagonist to the mud.

I only played 4 and 5. 4 was one of the worst games I ever played outside of the Craigslist, anime, Ikea and other things they parodied. 5 wasn't as funny but was a solid game. Although the missions felt like tiny little set pieces that never lived up to the hype of the planning phase. Good enough to be enjoyable, but nothing was good in it. Personally I hope any improvements go into the gameplay. I don't want an RPG, and I don't want a generic character that I have to customize, nor do I want to level up stuff.

Yes, a 6+ Billion dollar mountain of money, it is the best-selling entertainment product of all time so apparently some people found it interesting.

High profit margins isn't necessarily an indicator of high quality. But yes, many people do find it to be the best gaming has to offer.

Personally if they make this an online game, I'm out, I have no fucking interest in doing so.

I'm doubting that. Yes the game will have a huge online aspect but it will be at the expensive of the SP. Maybe they'll try a few more Ubisoft style online tie ins but I can't seem them torpedoing the formula that worked so well last time. Sell a super popular SP game, keep a portion of the base playing and paying for the online for years.

Seems like it's working for them.
The butthurt is strong with this one. It's not even that I dislike something, I Don't like it enough! LOL. How dare I not like something as much as others?

I only played 4 and 5. 4 was one of the worst games I ever played outside of the Craigslist, anime, Ikea and other things they parodied. 5 wasn't as funny but was a solid game. Although the missions felt like tiny little set pieces that never lived up to the hype of the planning phase. Good enough to be enjoyable, but nothing was good in it. Personally I hope any improvements go into the gameplay. I don't want an RPG, and I don't want a generic character that I have to customize, nor do I want to level up stuff.
Good news: You don't have to customize your character if you don't want to even if the option is there. I always laugh how petty some people can be when they try to deny something to others that they themselves don't want, even if it wouldn't affect them.

How does customization make a character generic? You're not customizing the story, you're customizing the look of the character and the abilities, it only affects gameplay. And in a good way because you can tailor the gameplay to your own preferences. And guess what if you don't want to, you can just use the default setup and it's like as if customization was never a thing in the game in the first place.

Good news: You don't have to customize your character if you don't want to even if the option is there. I always laugh how petty some people can be when they try to deny something to others that they themselves don't want, even if it wouldn't affect them.

How does customization make a character generic? You're not customizing the story, you're customizing the look of the character and the abilities, it only affects gameplay. And in a good way because you can tailor the gameplay to your own preferences. And guess what if you don't want to, you can just use the default setup and it's like as if customization was never a thing in the game in the first place.

Physical appearance & attributes lends itself to the creation of a character's identity. If you have a customized character, the game world will have to react neutrally to your character's appearance. Lots of iconic characters have small bits of story info and world building baked into their appearance. I think you've played enough games and watched enough movies to realize how this. And yes, a blank generic template means the game world will not react to your character as much in certain ways which is a downside. Not every game needs to have a customizable character. Not every game needs to be an RPG. Most games are better off without it. We're talking about GTA here, which is fairly plain and generic as is. It needs to go in the opposite direction.

Never picked up GTA 5 because was dated when it was finally out on PC. Wasnt a fan of GTA 4. GTA San Andreas was fun.

Never picked up GTA 5 because was dated when it was finally out on PC. Wasnt a fan of GTA 4. GTA San Andreas was fun.

Dated? The graphics hold up really well to this day when you crank up the settings, and gameplay and story/characters are top notch. I did not care about the wooden block of a protagonist of GTAIV either but the trio in GTAV and the chemistry between them is just golden.

wow. gta in all it's forms is mostly just art imitating life. maybe, mostly criminal life. but the more laws they make, the more laws there are to break. guess it sucks to not be able to see the irony and parody in R*'s work. in a way i feel almost bad for you, but really i think most of us think GTA V was a masterpiece and kicked ass? shoot If 6 is at least as good as 5 i don't think many of us will complain, but really they've never stopped raising the bar each iteration, so personally i'm not too worried, just hoping the micro-trans BS didn't go to their head and they keep it real for the fans that have been with them from get. basically since before there was even such a thing as gta online.

also with what modders were able to do with the whole FiveM stuff and even the tools R* gave with the R* editor .. It just blows me away to actually hear someone complaining about GTA V .. but hey i guess those are the people that made nintendo rich selling the wii?

Back