Grand Theft Auto 5

LordCalin

Gawd
it's coming.... Rockstar posted a logo up with text at the bottom saying trailer coming 11.02.11

ABOUT TIME!

It's still going to be at least 12-18 months before we see it on shelves. Which is good because I'm likely to be broke and divorced by the time this holiday season is over with all the blockbuster titles coming out.

I'm hoping GTA5 can combine the same variety in gameplay and environments of San Andreas with the gritty story and great characters of GTA4. Typically GTA does these things very well but never in the same game.

I'm happy to have another one. I agree with Plague_Injected. I'm hoping for all of the variety from San Andreas with the attention to the story from GTA4.
I'm curious if they're going with a new engine or a tweaked version of the original. Red Dead is still one of the best looking console games out there, so their engine still has some legs.

I think Washington DC in the 70's will be the setting, based on the released poster.

If it's in LA, that's a great setting for GTA 5. I'm thinking of Los Santos from San Andreas, blown up to the size and detail of Liberty City in GTA 4. But with far more game play content.
GTA 4 has such an awesome city but without enough things to do inside it. It was a regression in many ways from the previous titles. Although I liked the more realistic and less arcade like driving. They should bring back the businesses from Vice City, and the gang territory from SA (maybe optional)

Here's hoping GTA would just die.

You're poor at trolling. Get a new act.

I think Washington DC in the 70's will be the setting, based on the released poster.

Why in the 70's ? I think it could just symbolize money and not Washington specifically.
I gotta think there would be an epic shit storm if they released a game where the character travels around DC with heavy firepower, killing people around the virtual monuments. :D

with games like Just Cause 2 and other sandboxes this better be good.... they aren't the only game around the block no more.

If they can make it look that good (and the size of San Andreas) we don't need new consoles. Maybe the PC version can look like that, but I can't imagine a console version outputting anything like that without dropping to 10fps and having a loading screen every 10 seconds.

If it's in LA, that's a great setting for GTA 5. I'm thinking of Los Santos from San Andreas, blown up to the size and detail of Liberty City in GTA 4. But with far more game play content.

updating the maps from LA Noire eould be a possibility, but doing that will lead to too many san andreas comparisons, and that isn't going to fly. San andreas appeal was the combo of the three cities with the openess in between. the all city of NYC work in GTA4 only because it is that large of a metroplitan area, but everyone wanted to be able to step out from it at least once or twice during the game.

personally i think Detroit/Chicago would make a better location without rehashing old storylines and locals.

I've said for years that New Orleans/Houston would work well. There's a different cultural element there that would be worlds apart from the other games. Plus, if they're looking for a plot device, there's always hurricane Katrina offering a catalyst to move from one city to the other...and about a million cultural commentary opportunities that can be made, too.

While you definitely can play like that on the PC now, I can't imagine them creating such a discrepancy between the PC and console versions of the game. You need a pretty hefty PC to run that mod so there's certainly no way the current consoles could approximate that at all.
That would require totally separate development across the PC vs. the consoles.
While I'd love that, I'm not so sure they'd ever do it.
I think the only way we see a game like that out of the box is if it's for the next-gen consoles, too.

Here's to hoping a years worth of time will be enough to make it so the characters don't control like a human bicycle

I love the GTA series -- i remember playing the very first one and how everyone was so up in arms over the "crazy" stuff you could do.

all my GTA has been on the Xbox -- I need to get the PC version and play with some of these mods. They look insane! Should be able to run it, running a 2500k @ 4.5 with a 6950 2GB

I know what I'm googling when I get home from work today :)

Tigerblade, thanks! Holy shit, I need to try that out. I think I need to get a 2GB card for my HTPC as well.

Holy shit, I thought that was just a real life pic with the GTA HUD pasted on it for a joke, lol. That looks insane :eek:.

WHOA! That is just unbelievably awesome heh. Now THAT is why I prefer pc's over consoles. No 360 or ps3 can come close to duplicating/imitating a mod like that... :D

Tigerblade, thanks! Holy shit, I need to try that out. I think I need to get a 2GB card for my HTPC as well.

No worries, you will need a 2gb card to run this maxed out, the settings are telling me I'm using 1.5Gb when everything is set to highest! It also is now the game that pushes my system the most and gets it the hottest.

They have serious trouble running GTA4 as it is now...

Not if you have a top end rig......which if you are even contemplating running this mod you'll need.....which incidentally runs absolutely fine too.

The game looks like ass as standard now, can't stand to look/play it like that anymore.

No worries, you will need a 2gb card to run this maxed out, the settings are telling me I'm using 1.5Gb when everything is set to highest! It also is now the game that pushes my system the most and gets it the hottest.

Not if you have a top end rig......which if you are even contemplating running this mod you'll need.....which incidentally runs absolutely fine too.

The game looks like ass as standard now, can't stand to look/play it like that anymore.

I was talking about the consoles...

GTA 4 has such an awesome city but without enough things to do inside it. It was a regression in many ways from the previous titles. Although I liked the more realistic and less arcade like driving. They should bring back the businesses from Vice City, and the gang territory from SA (maybe optional)

You're poor at trolling. Get a new act.

You obviously have me confused with someone else and I don't have an act. :confused:

Its ok though, I'm not going to take your Gran Turismo away. ;)

Last edited:
Those mods for GTA IV look amazing....

I just dont think my 6990m will run them.

Looking forward to what GTA V brings.

Anyone's guess on if the trailer was from a XBOX360 or PS3?

I wonder if the PS3 version is going to run as well as the XBOX version this time around. Maybe finally the PS3 one can have higher res textures from its bluray :)

Holy shit, I thought that was just a real life pic with the GTA HUD pasted on it for a joke, lol. That looks insane :eek:.

It's amazing what modders have accomplished. I wouldn't count on Rockstar pushing the vanilla PC version of GTA5 that much, (let's face it, it will be a console port) but I have no doubt the next gen GTA will look as good or better.

I didn't have many gripes with GTA 4's graphics. Overall it looked ok. I liked how none of it felt copy and paste. Every street was unique. I read somewhere, can't remember if it was only rumor or Rockstar PR, but GTA 5 is supposed to be really HUGE.

One claim was just the city of Los Santos is 4x the size of all of Liberty City in GTA 4, and not including the surrounding rural terrain that will be in the game. That sounds incredible. I think GTA 4's Broker/Dukes island alone was the size of the original Los Santos in GTA San Andreas. So we're talking the city in GTA V being at least 10x as large as Los Santos from last generation.

If I were designing the game, I'd make the real estate split 50/50 between the main city and the surrounding area. So there would be room for dozens of little hamlets, and locations for new missions and exploration.

GTA V has probably got both canyon and desert areas dotted with little towns like in San Andreas. I'd like to see Mulholland Hwy, Angeles Crest Highway, Death Valley, Joshua Tree etc. Use RDR tech. :D

Back