Grand scheme of things... how hard is learning BASIC?

Team Obi Juan

Your Local Postmaster
So I'll be taking a visual BASIC class next semester, and am anticipating to get raped. Is it one of the easier or harder languages to learn in the grand scheme?

Is it that bad? No programming knowledge here.

I think I might survive though because it will be based around editing existing extensions from GIS software instead of creating programs from scratch.

Any good resources online? Books maybe? I know i'll have to buy a book for the class though... so i'll just leave it at that.

Any tips or resources greatly appreciated... or just simple kind words of encouragement. :D

I'd probably say it is one of the easier languages to learn just let the teacher teach and you'll be fine :)

Any type of basic is relatively easy to pick up for a first timer, particularly if you are taking a class for it. Have a read over a little history of BASIC and Visual Basic, no harm in knowing what you are getting in to..

Visual Basic is easy, especially taking a class. You shouldn't have a problem, and if you do the web is ripe with programming tutorials of all sorts. Good luck and enjoy!

Do your homework and listen to your prof and you will do just fine. ;)

I'd say it's easier then C/C++, but once you know the 'basics' of programming it is easy to learn most any language.

you are actually at a great advantage going into the class with no prior experience because you'll be less likely to pretend you are smarter than your professor and more willing to actually learn from what he or she is teaching you.

I spent two years as a TA while in college and it was a pretty common the trend to see kids who were supposed to already know the basics come in for help routinely because they just couldn't let their pride down and listen to the professor.

Anyway. Have fun and enjoy! Programming can be very creative if you let it. :)

Tim Wardlaw said:
Do your homework and listen to your prof and you will do just fine. ;)
If I had listened to some of my profs back in college then I would still be using void main(). ;-p

Mega BUMP

Started the class. So far going good, but it is a pain in the ass to me, a hardware guy. I realize I hate software, lol.

Anywho, I want to start practicing at home using the things I'm learning from the class. I've got a trial version I can use so that's no problem. Basically, do any of you guys have ideas for a simple program I could write in basic 6.0? It could be something you've already done... just an idea of something to do. All I have in my head is a calculator or something. I'm not very creative or anything, so this is tough. I need the practice though. I'm not going to try to make money or anything like that, I just need an idea for a simple program I can create start to finish and it doesn't matter if it's been done before or whatever.

Back