Gran Turismo Sport

Armenius

Extremely [H]
The next title in the popular franchise is just 3 weeks out from release, with availability starting worldwide on October 17. The game is taking a new focus into virtual racing as sport and has split the community with its new direction. However, the same solid gameplay underlying it is there, and I couldn't be more excited. I put a lot of hours into racing online with both GT5 and GT6.

I have the collector's edition on preorder from the UK, since they decided not to bring it to the US for some reason.

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Sony-PlayStation-9827450-Gran-Turismo/dp/B01ICV10AM?th=1
http://www.gran-turismo.com/gb/products/gtsport/preorder/

upload_2017-9-25_16-6-54.png

upload_2017-9-25_16-7-44.png

upload_2017-9-25_16-11-37.png

upload_2017-9-25_16-10-3.png

Here is a new video posted over on GT Planet showcasing the live broadcast of a race during TGS.

Full lap of Nurburgring 24H in an M6 GT3, which shows off Gran Turismo still has the best damned looking track models of any racing game out there.

And while the game has PSVR support, it's only for time trial and 1 vs. 1 races against the AI.

It's an exciting time for race fans with so many great titles coming out.

As an Amazon Associate, HardForum may earn from qualifying purchases.
So is there just no real single player system in this or what? Other than that it looks really good, probably not a big a step forward as it should be, but still nice to have another strong racing title on PS4.

So is there just no real single player system in this or what? Other than that it looks really good, probably not a big a step forward as it should be, but still nice to have another strong racing title on PS4.
Polyphony has said that the online content only represents about 15% of the game. The single player is structured more like GT5 from the sounds of it, as opposed to GT6.

I just grabbed the collector's as well after seeing your post. Pretty pumped about it, looks like a sweet little model. I'm a total sucker for collector's editions of any game, I think I've only bought collector's editions for the games I've bought in the past two years.

I preordered the limited edition from Amazon back in July of 2016, looks like it'll finally be shipping. The collectors edition from amazon.de is EUR 148,00, not worth it to grab a local version.

I was in on the beta test for it back in April and by the end it finally felt like a Gran Turismo title but at the beginning it was pretty rough. Can't wait for the full version with PSVR support. Hopefully with the Pro they keep the resolution up, that was the issue with Drive Club VR, it was just too fuzzy.

I preordered the limited edition from Amazon back in July of 2016, looks like it'll finally be shipping. The collectors edition from amazon.de is EUR 148,00, not worth it to grab a local version.

I was in on the beta test for it back in April and by the end it finally felt like a Gran Turismo title but at the beginning it was pretty rough. Can't wait for the full version with PSVR support. Hopefully with the Pro they keep the resolution up, that was the issue with Drive Club VR, it was just too fuzzy.
The difference is Drive Club VR had full races in VR. I mentioned in my OP that GT Sport only supports 1-vs.-1 races in VR. I guess Polyphony didn't want to make any compromises for VR, so I guess that is a good sign.

The difference is Drive Club VR had full races in VR. I mentioned in my OP that GT Sport only supports 1-vs.-1 races in VR. I guess Polyphony didn't want to make any compromises for VR, so I guess that is a good sign.

Yeah, I'm fine with partial support as long as it looks good. Drive Club VR is one of the few VR titles that I've had to stop playing every 15 minutes or so, your peripheral views are just so bad in that game.

Demo unlocked yesterday and my first impressions are that the game looks nice for the most part, the street tracks all are quite detailed with nice lighting but physics don't feel that different from gt6 though. Ai seems quite easy to win against even on the hardest difficulty from what i've played and there is a clear focus toward online racing instead of single player. The rally tracks are is still a joke, the tracks design looks like they were ripped directly from GT2 with them being 4 lane highway in size with invisible bumper walls on the sides.

qFA2Fm1.jpg

There are a few new features like the livery editor.

MBA15Bm.jpg)

But funny enough the window decal makes it almost impossible to drive on some tracks.

dWVaPyD.jpg

They threw pretty much everything else under the bus when it comes to being a game though. There is no campaign other then driver tests, when it comes to upgrading your car you just use 'mileage points' to unlock a power slider to increase or lower your HP (seriously WTF!). There is still problems that exist from GT6 like weird exposure and extremely dark cockpit lighting depending on the time of day or weather or track. The sound mixing is better then GT6 but still some cars sound great and some sound awful like the standard Ferrari 458. There are some serious control pad limitations for the ds4 in this game as well, even with it put on realistic and maximum sensitivity the steering is so slow making quick adjustments impossible.

They clearly spent too much time modeling headlights and putting watch ads all over the place instead of making a proper game. I get the feeling this will be the only GT to be released on ps4 with it being a 'game as a service' with slow yet endless selling of car/track dlc packs until the end of the console life span. I think this pictures sums up the state of the GT series.

YoM1KOV.jpg)

Do folks think this one is worth a pre-order?

Normally I am against pre-ordering games. In this case an exception might make sense:
1. It is Gran Turismo, one of Sony's premier franchises, likely to be a great game (what are the chances they screw it up?)
2. 20% for Amazon prime members who pre-order
3. $500,000 in game credit

The last GT game I played was GT4 on PS2. Eventually plan to get this one, and the improvement from GT4 will obviously be massive.

One other thing I am excited about is playing driving games using the PS4 motion controls (poor man's steering wheel lol).

Do folks think this one is worth a pre-order?

Normally I am against pre-ordering games. In this case an exception might make sense:
1. It is Gran Turismo, one of Sony's premier franchises, likely to be a great game (what are the chances they screw it up?)
2. 20% for Amazon prime members who pre-order
3. $500,000 in game credit

The last GT game I played was GT4 on PS2. Eventually plan to get this one, and the improvement from GT4 will obviously be massive.

One other thing I am excited about is playing driving games using the PS4 motion controls (poor man's steering wheel lol).
It is for me because I've always gotten hundreds of hours of enjoyment out of each of the games in the whole franchise. And out of all the racing games I've played, Gran Turismo always feels the best and most fun with a wheel. GT4 is still my favorite overall in the series, but the driving physics (and graphics, of course) are light years ahead in the recent releases, peaking with GT6.

The only thing I would consider is the single player content looks to be shallow in this one, focusing more on the multiplayer aspect, but we only have the various betas and demos to go on so far here. If the nature of the single player content is a consideration, then it may be a good idea to not preorder and wait for some gameplay and reviews of the final product. It's coming out next Tuesday, though, so better decide quickly.

As to steering with motion controls, I was never a fan. The last time I attempted this was with the Sixaxis on the PS3. The joystick still offered more precision and control with less lag, and I still prefer the visceral feeling of a real steering wheel. A steering wheel is a good purchase. I have never gotten fewer than 8 years of use out of each one I've bought, and I've never spent more than $300 on one. Amazingly, I still think the original Logitech Driving Force Pro is the best wheel I've ever had, and it was $150 brand new. Going on 13 years old now, it still works perfectly, but unfortunately isn't supported in the newest games and consoles without an adapter of some kind. It naturally doesn't feel as good in the FFB department as a modern belt-driven system, but the control and precision is perfect.

Speaking of adapter, I discovered this a couple weeks ago. I have one on order so I can use my G920 on my PS4 to play Gran Turismo Sport with. It basically lets you use any wheel with any PC or console regardless of the platform it was made for, so you don't need a separate wheel for each console or have to drop big bucks on a modular servo base with different wheels.

http://shop.cronusmax.com/drivehub.html

Whoa that is neat. I have the Microsoft Wireless Racing Wheel and it was listed as being compatible with the Drivehub adapter. That would be excellent to be able to use it for Gran Turismo Sport.

Last edited:
For a game like GT Sport, what are peoples opinions on wheel vs control pad for getting best laptimes? I just read elsewhere that, even though steering wheels are more immersive, in most cases a control pad gives better laptimes.

Also, in the interest of getting best laptimes, which car view is recommended? I alternate between chase and in car. Is this just personal preference?

Wheel/pedals + cockpit view (or hood view) will definitely give better laptimes, provided you have the wheel set up properly with a solid mounting system (PlaySeat, Obutto, etc) and the FFB is setup and working good.

Been using wheel/pedals and cockpit view. Definitely would not play this with a controller if it was at all possible. So far very happy with how it drives. I have forza 7 on PC as well, and I am much more impressed with GT being closer to a simulator than Forza 7 thus far.
Cant wait for the full release next week!

For a game like GT Sport, what are peoples opinions on wheel vs control pad for getting best laptimes? I just read elsewhere that, even though steering wheels are more immersive, in most cases a control pad gives better laptimes.

Also, in the interest of getting best laptimes, which car view is recommended? I alternate between chase and in car. Is this just personal preference?
Forza is generally easier to get faster lap times with a controller, but this is and has never been the case with Gran Turismo. You need a wheel with GT to get the best lap times. As far as view goes, it's really down to personal preference. Personally, I can't drive racing games for shit in any of the external views.

Shame logitech or sony never added support for the g27 tried it last night and it gave me nothing. Not going to shell out $80 for adapter on a wheel i paid 200 for.

Shame logitech or sony never added support for the g27 tried it last night and it gave me nothing. Not going to shell out $80 for adapter on a wheel i paid 200 for.
Weird. My Fanatec CSR still works on my PS4.

They threw pretty much everything else under the bus when it comes to being a game though. There is no campaign other then driver tests, when it comes to upgrading your car you just use 'mileage points' to unlock a power slider to increase or lower your HP (seriously WTF!). There is still problems that exist from GT6 like weird exposure and extremely dark cockpit lighting depending on the time of day or weather or track. The sound mixing is better then GT6 but still some cars sound great and some sound awful like the standard Ferrari 458. There are some serious control pad limitations for the ds4 in this game as well, even with it put on realistic and maximum sensitivity the steering is so slow making quick adjustments impossible.

They clearly spent too much time modeling headlights and putting watch ads all over the place instead of making a proper game. I get the feeling this will be the only GT to be released on ps4 with it being a 'game as a service' with slow yet endless selling of car/track dlc packs until the end of the console life span. I think this pictures sums up the state of the GT series.

Thanks for that, I was considering buying a ps4 pro just for this game, what a waste of money that would've been. It seems it is really garbage.

Weird. My Fanatec CSR still works on my PS4.
It's not weird. I have two logitech wheels a g27 and a dfp, neither will work with a PS4, because sony decided to make a security chip mandatory that these older logitech products don't include. It's like DRM for game controllers, or something stupid like that. And Logitech decided they'd rather release a new wheel for twice the price than an upgrade for the old to make it compatible. So they can both go to hell as far as I'm concerned.

Timed Demo has me hooked. Can't wait for full game unlock. Havent loaded up forza 7 on my PC(which is same place as my PS4 with Thrustmaster T150 wheel on a KVM) since i been playing GT.

Amazon looks to have shipped my copy yesterday, we'll see how long it take to get here. Forza 7 grinding for the time being.

Kamui Kobayashi does a lap around Nurburgring GP in the Toyota TS050 with the new Thrustmaster T-GT.

Amazon looks to have shipped my copy yesterday, we'll see how long it take to get here. Forza 7 grinding for the time being.
Same here, but it's my US copy. My UK Collector's Edition says it will be dispatched today and arrive here by the 21st.
upload_2017-10-17_7-44-11.png

Kamui Kobayashi does a lap around Nurburgring GP in the Toyota TS050 with the new Thrustmaster T-GT.

Same here, but it's my US copy. My UK Collector's Edition says it will be dispatched today and arrive here by the 21st.
View attachment 40005

I've got the same. It's fine though, lets me play other games in the meantime. That video was awesome! That setup is beyond epic. I need to build something like that in my office. The Thrustmaster worth the money?

I am really on the fence with this one. Been waiting so long. My ps4 does not get any attention anymore.. but maybe this game will get me to turn it on.

Yeah, unfortunately I'm at the mercy of the USPS, so it's scheduled for the 31st at this point. You'll have both copies before I can get one, lol.

I've got the same. It's fine though, lets me play other games in the meantime. That video was awesome! That setup is beyond epic. I need to build something like that in my office. The Thrustmaster worth the money?
It sounds good on paper, but I'd still rather put that kind of money into a Fanatec setup. The pedals it comes with look especially cheap. I look forward to any reviews on it, though.

It sounds good on paper, but I'd still rather put that kind of money into a Fanatec setup. The pedals it comes with look especially cheap. I look forward to any reviews on it, though.

I'll wait then, see what comes up.

Sounds like it's just a slightly improved T300RS for twice the price. For the same price as the T-GT you can get the Fanatec CSL Elite Bundle.

I understand the complaints about a lack of single player progression, but that is not an issue for me at all. What is superior to forza is the feedback you get to the wheel. It feels much more "realistic" when running over kerbs, reacting to over and under steer as well as running off track. I don't feel like i need to find the specific racing games gimmick to figure out how to best drive the vehicles.

I'm on the fence with the two "flagship" steering wheels. I would like to get the CSL Elite but it doesn't have native support yet but I heard people got it to work in "compatibility mode" and with a bit of tuning. I'm going for the best Gran Turismo experience so perhaps the T-GT is ticket with all the knobs and it being the official wheel but I'm not so sure. The Fanatec LC pedals seem superior too.

The GT Sport FIA Championship pre-season starts November 4, with the regular season starting in April.

https://www.gtplanet.net/gt-sport-fia-championship-pre-season-starts-november-4/
I'm on the fence with the two "flagship" steering wheels. I would like to get the CSL Elite but it doesn't have native support yet but I heard people got it to work in "compatibility mode" and with a bit of tuning. I'm going for the best Gran Turismo experience so perhaps the T-GT is ticket with all the knobs and it being the official wheel but I'm not so sure. The Fanatec LC pedals seem superior too.
If you want the best out of the box experience then the T-GT is the way to go. I just think it's way overpriced, especially for being gear-driven. Even the G29/G920 doesn't have the notchiness described in the review above, and it's half the price. Only problem with the Logitech wheels is they still use DB9 connectors for its accessories, meaning you can't connect accessories from other manufacturers to it that are using the new standard of RJ12.

Having only been through 60% of the license tests the controls work very well even with just a standard control pad.

I pre-ordered on amazon and got the 3 car pack as a reward. However, for some reason I did not get the bonus $500,000 credits. Anyone else with this problem?

So reading the reviews it turns out this game is essentially online only and progress can't be made at all while offline. Wasn't this exactly the sort of thing everyone was outraged about microsoft was doing at the start of this gen and now everyone is ok with it? I think this is way worse then the lootbox situation that forza has.

Yup, this game is a spin-off of the mainline GT series. It is not GT7 which some people were somehow still expecting. It may hurt the casual gamer who just wants to collect and upgrade cars but instead it's aimed at the competitive racer.

There's definitely room for additions and DLC and the game provides a base for just that.

It'd be great if I could actually play this game. Every time I get a free moment to fire the thing up, I'm able to clear some of the crappy stop and start license style tests and then the severs go down and I can only play arcade. Getting fed up with that facet of the experience already...

So reading the reviews it turns out this game is essentially online only and progress can't be made at all while offline. Wasn't this exactly the sort of thing everyone was outraged about microsoft was doing at the start of this gen and now everyone is ok with it? I think this is way worse then the lootbox situation that forza has.
I guess that should mean that games like Path of Exile and Diablo III are destroying the industry?

I honestly don't know why people get upset at always online these days. I was one of the complainers back in the day, but I did not have broadband internet access until 2006. It's a minor inconvenience during the extremely rare times it goes out.
Yup, this game is a spin-off of the mainline GT series. It is not GT7 which some people were somehow still expecting. It may hurt the casual gamer who just wants to collect and upgrade cars but instead it's aimed at the competitive racer.

There's definitely room for additions and DLC and the game provides a base for just that.
No, Kazunori Yamauchi has said that this is what Gran Turismo is now. It is not a spinoff of the main series. Gran Turismo Sport is essentially Gran Turismo 7. I do think there will be no more individual games; that GT Sport will be a platform that delivers all content going forward on the PS4.

http://www.digitalspy.com/gaming/ps4/news/a794751/gran-turismo-sport-is-gran-turismo-7-after-all/
Kazunori Yamauchi said:
The reason we called it Gran Turismo Sport was that we really wanted to incorporate the FIA events. Thinking about it now, yeah, we could have called it Gran Turismo 7. But it's got so many features, we wanted it to be different.

More recently: https://www.gtplanet.net/polyphony-digital-no-plans-gran-turismo-7/
Kazunori Yamauchi said:
For me, Gran Turismo Sport is Gran Turismo 7. Gran Turismo Sport is something that marks the beginning of a new generation or era. When you consider Gran Turismo 1-6 as the first era, GT Sport marks a new generation moving forward.

I guess that should mean that games like Path of Exile and Diablo III are destroying the industry?

I honestly don't know why people get upset at always online these days. I was one of the complainers back in the day, but I did not have broadband internet access until 2006. It's a minor inconvenience during the extremely rare times it goes out.

No, Kazunori Yamauchi has said that this is what Gran Turismo is now. It is not a spinoff of the main series. Gran Turismo Sport is essentially Gran Turismo 7. I do think there will be no more individual games; that GT Sport will be a platform that delivers all content going forward on the PS4.

http://www.digitalspy.com/gaming/ps4/news/a794751/gran-turismo-sport-is-gran-turismo-7-after-all/

More recently: https://www.gtplanet.net/polyphony-digital-no-plans-gran-turismo-7/

I'm totally fine with online only. In 2017, I don't think we should be complaining about this being a requirement. I understand people's hesitation in purchasing games for x,y,z reasons, but they've stated what they want this game to be, and I think we should have known that going in.

You get your package yet Arm? I'm hoping maybe today for mine? We'll see.

I'm totally fine with online only. In 2017, I don't think we should be complaining about this being a requirement. I understand people's hesitation in purchasing games for x,y,z reasons, but they've stated what they want this game to be, and I think we should have known that going in.

You get your package yet Arm? I'm hoping maybe today for mine? We'll see.
I received my US Limited Edition on Tuesday, but my collector's edition has still not shipped yet and I'm still waiting for my DriveHub. I hope the latter at least gets here before the FIA pre-season starts on November 4.

EDIT: Scratch that. Just got confirmation that the collector's edition shipped. Will be here next Tuesday. But it's DHL, so I'll say a prayer that the package gets here unscathed :nailbiting:.
upload_2017-10-19_10-45-45.png

Last edited:
Back