Gran Turismo creator Kazunori Yamauchi thinks 4K is enough, wants to push higher framerates for PS5 instead

DrezKill

Gawd
https://www.gtplanet.net/gran-turismos-future-4k-resolution-is-enough-but-240fps-is-the-target/He thinks 4K res is enough, and he's far more interested in pushing framerates up to 120fps or even 240fps. "I think that’s what’s going to be changing the experience from here on forward." Would be very handy in the age of VRR, not to mention improvements to IQ and input response. Low frametimes on a console? I would love to see the consoles leaving their usual framerate restrictions far behind. I was already grateful for what XB1X and PS4 Pro were able to bring. It's way too early to be pursuing 8K when even PC hasn't gotten there yet. Checkerboard rendering only gets you so far. Also like many devs have said over the past couple console generations, Yamauchi commented on how the jumps we used to see between generations such as going from PS1 to PS2 are no longer possible.

I fully agree with him, esp. if the next consoles support VRR, which I'm banking on because I just got an OLED TV partially because it supports VRR over HDMI 2.1. I think VRR could be huge for consoles just so they're not hard locked to 30/60 FPS and devs can focus less on worrying about there being enough overhead (which is essentially wasted performance left on the table too when 30/60+ FPS is possible but V-Sync locks it down) to stay at a locked frame rate without too many dips and screen tearing, and more focused on image quality as long as the frame rate stays in the general range they're targeting, giving them much more flexibility. But also now that TVs are starting to support 120 Hz as well, so they can unlock frame rates and let games run at 60+ FPS when their performance budget allows for it.

Back