Gran Turismo 5 Prologue

Slade

2[H]4U
I'm impatient, I drove to my friendly neighbourhood asian hotspot mall and picked up an import copy.

Pics:

This "demo" puts other full games to shame...

I'm hooked... shots in 1080p to come if I can get my hands off the controls for a min...

First post updated with pics

The G25 DOES WORK with the game. Unfortunately no clutch action. The 6 speed shifter works. You can go 6 speed, or you can go triptronic (or paddle). Need to keep racing so I can grab a vette. Damn this is a fun "demo"...

The inside the car view is amazing. The gauges work. Makes me wish I had some crazy 70 inch screen now... You can use the control to "look left or right" and the inside of the car is rendered, you can see the back of your car, the rear seat or trunk carpet, the passenger seat. The rearview AND side mirrors work in real time. Nothing like having to do a double take of a car that disappeared from your blind spot to look beside you.

more pics please. PLEASE tell us when the online patch is out in a few days. I might get a ps3 just for this. Have over $400 bestbuy credit cuz i returned my peice of shit xbox360.

p.s. i heard pressing the triangle button after the race starts enable the clutch...can you confirm?? i love racing games... one reason for returning the 360 is no G25 support.

I'll wait for GT5. Charging for a $40 demo, Polyphony/Sony can kiss my ass.
exactly what I'm thinking....the day I pay money for an extended demo is the day I give up gaming altogether. *pops in PGR4 disk* :)

Makes me wish i had a ps3, but one game isnt enough for another 500 investment, sadly. :mad:

you know, the G25 is the single reason i would want a PS3 so far sadly :( would be sweet if there were a PGR like game on PS3... are there? ^_-

Yes of course even though there is a hell of a market on PC for this kind of racing game...

As for comparison to Forza 2 am I right that GT 5 is actually optimized for wheel (forza 2 is optimized for gamepads)? Otherwise I still think GT 5 will be better due to G25 support. As much as I love Forza 2 it´s crappy wheel ruins a lot for it :(. However in the physics department I don´t think GT 5 will top Forza 2 hope I am wrong.

As for PGR title don´t think there is but may be in the future now that Bizarre Creations isn´t owned by MS anymore :)

As for controllers is there any chance add on shifters like SST lightning shifter would work? USB plug and play shifter... The stock shifter on the G25 is just horrible no feel :(

wow that looks amazing

*works harder on finishing up my basement for the home theater room*

After playing around a bit with the G25 clutch, I can confirm it is NOT an on off switch type.

You CAN slip it! The only issue is you can't really stall the car, but unless you have a racing chair or someway to bolt everything down to keep it from slipping, missing a shift due to a sudden slip of the base means f-ed up race due to missed gear.

The way I tested it was to try to hold redline while in neutral and then gradually release the clutch, about the 80% mark it started to drop the rpm, and with what little play there was I could get the rpm to drop further or let it rise depending on how I slipped the clutch. Then I tried stalling it and it said 0 rpm, but as soon as the car could roll, just leaving your foot on the gas lets it "magic" restart. All in all, it's a real nice touch even though there's no real chance of stalling, let's a new dynamic in throttle manipulation, even though, there's no feed back on the clutch or yourself to indicate "grab".

Mind you I did this experiment with the Z06 which uses the LS7 clutch which I can compare it's characteristics to my car since I use the same clutch, the fact the grab was around the 70-80% mark was a pleasant surprise. If the other clutches of the other cars have different release points just like in real life, I can't wait for the full release and will probably plunk down some cash for the chair.

does the ps3 let you adjust the sensitivity or does GT 5: prologue allow for that? Can you add deadzones? I have modded my G25 pedals with a rubber mod but that requires a 50 % deadzone to work as intended.. Otherwise I hope you can use the clutch as brake if nothing else...

Also what do you say is this game optimized for gamepad or wheels? Forza 2 is made for gamepads which hurts the handling of the cars a bit how is it with GT 5? I assume it´s also primarily optimized for gamepads since that is what most people will use it with...

Would ove to see they did it like Race 07 optimize for wheel first but then of course work to get it to work as good as possible with gamepads as well using aids.

I've been playing with both the G25 and the controller. I've found that both work extremely well, I've found myself being able to pull times fairly split between using the controller and the G25. Mind you, my setup doesn't favor the use of the clutch for precision racing, no race chair or good ways to really anchor the stuff down. I just have this coffee table that let's you raise it to you to further make you be a couch potato for the purpose of eating while watching TV, but makes a great way to bring the steering to near you.

I may stray away from using the clutch entirely as without any clutch feedback (the feel of grabbing), it has little more value than really acting like an on off switch. It's a good attempt don't get me wrong, it just really is nowhere near what it feels like to do autocross.

Wow....that looks crazy...

Wish they had a nascar game that looked that good...(I don't like street racing games very much) Yes, yes I know...

The only gripe i have with the pedals is how stiff they are, especially the brakes. The plastic base isnt nowhere near strong enough to keep it on the floor. But yeah, the times on controller should differ a lot. I really need to control the throttle in order to get the better lap times.

There are some instances the controller is ridiculously stupid to use due to no feedback save for sound. Take Daytona, I have a tough time keeping a good line and top speed with the sixaxis, but find it incredibly simple to control when using the G25, to the point I can drift some of daytona's turns with a z06, but try to do that on controller with no feedback and it becomes incredibly difficult.

I need a racing seat...

Do you think the brake is stiff? My major complaint about the G25 apart from the shifter is the soft brake pedal lol.

As for cockpit I can highly recommend the playseat evolution. I use the Nixim progressive brake mod for my G25 which helps bring the stiffness I want to the brake. Now I don´t know how the braking is in GT5 but it´s really hard to master in sims like Race 07 etc. With more resistance you get better feel for the brake and how much you push it which helps with your consistency apart from it feels more realistic as well.

However this mod requires a cockpit. G25 is rock stable without it but it budges a little when using it. So Evolution is absolutely minimum requirement for stable cockpit for this.

As for force feedback yes I can imagine that will be hard however the new sixaxis with rumble is on it´s way :)

I'll look into that seat thanks!

I don't really expect the brake to function like real life but it seems to feel stiff enough for my purposes when playing as far as the concept of game braking goes.

As far as controller goes, we've had plenty of those controllers around already imported but the price they were charging was in the $80-$90 range in price kinda overpriced until the official NA release. I'll probably pick up a few while on vacation this week for hopefully more reasonable prices closer to the source.

Something about the G25 really hits home though with it's force feedback support, it's sensitive enough that a bit of release of tension in your hand to go with the slide is all it takes which is very similar to real driving in a lot of ways. Same with the idea of fighting the wheel to do what you want the car to do. It just seems there is a broader range of movement and precision from the wheel than what you can get from a joystick. I'm sure the rumble will help a bit, but I find that's the strength of using a setup like the G25.

rumble is just rumble it can´t simulate stuff like real force feedback but it´s much better then nothing :).

As for brake there is pedals with pressure sensitive brakes and that also has vibe motors to simulate ABS for example. frex.com/gp has those and others but these will for sure only work on the PC sims.

the G25 is not pressure sensitive but you get the feel of it with a mod like nixims progressive brake mod even if it´s fake. It can fool you it feels very much like my old 740s brake actually. Many of the newer cars has brakes that just require very little pressure to go to full brake so it depends of course on what car you own.

But still there is limits on what you can learn by racing sims compared to real life. In real life you have the help of feeling the g-forces. You go by that feeling in real race cars you don´t hear the tires squeeling so that is very superficial way of answering when you are past what your tires can handle.

Fanatec has an interesting wheel coming out a bit more expensive then the G25 though with pressure sensitive brake. Will see how that turns out. As for the force feedback I agree it beats the momo force red, driving force pro by quite a margin... Mostly it´s because of the lack of resistance when there is no force feedback applied that make subtle force feedback effects more effective. It´s also faster lock to lock then the previous force feedback wheels. The benefit it has over a joystick is simply more travel which allows you to be more smooth... Being smooth is everything for especially tin tops... F1 cars is more point and shoot missiles there joystick can actually be better since you can faster correct slides with it. Many run GPL for example with joysticks and is very competitive.

This game will blow Forza 2 out of the water for sure.

Considering that Forza 3 will be out by the time GT5 comes out (they are talking late 08 to mid 09 OR LATER for GT5) I wouldnt say thats any kind of bragging right lol.

lets see here Brand new game VS what will be a what? 4 year old game by then? lmao at even thinking about comparing the two.

Thats like saying that COD4 blows Pong away.

Considering that Forza 3 will be out by the time GT5 comes out (they are talking late 08 to mid 09 OR LATER for GT5) I wouldnt say thats any kind of bragging right lol.

lets see here Brand new game VS what will be a what? 4 year old game by then? lmao at even thinking about comparing the two.

Thats like saying that COD4 blows Pong away.

Well, the Xbox360 has been out longer than the PS3 and Forza 2 is using Microsofts latest hardware. Your making it seem like im comparing a C6 vette to a Nsx or PS2 to NES. I remember when Forza 2 came out, everyone was comparing it to GT5 based on its demo. So, id say its still reasonable to continue the comparison. We all know the developers of Forza motorsports didnt put 100% into visual graphics on purpose. On the flip side, we know what GT5 is going to look RIGHT NOW and it looks very promising. Id say its a good comparison between the 2 because they are both using the latest console technology. Anyways, hope Micorsoft comes out with a wheel thats better than the G25 Steering wheel because im picking up a 360.

Im going to buy Forza 2 just to spank your ass. :D

eeh since when did graphics make a driving game? It´s all about car handling... It´s a negative if GT try to boost to many cpu cycles on rendering awesome lightning instead of good physics...

eeh since when did graphics make a driving game? It´s all about car handling... It´s a negative if GT try to boost to many cpu cycles on rendering awesome lightning instead of good physics...

Nothing wrong with the craftsmanship of beautiful graphics. Of course physics are important, has any of the grand tourismo series let you down in that department?

Nothing wrong with the craftsmanship of beautiful graphics. Of course physics are important, has any of the grand tourismo series let you down in that department?

all of them. None can be classified as sim sadly :(.

exactly what I'm thinking....the day I pay money for an extended demo is the day I give up gaming altogether. *pops in PGR4 disk* :)

Anyone remember Apple charging for the OSX beta, then charging people again for the full version? :(

all of them. None can be classified as sim sadly :(.

but the best overall racing games to date....without question.

GT4 is still the best racing game to date IMHO, fallowed by GT3, GT2 and GT1.

GT3/4 was the only reason I purchased the PS2.

and Im holding out for the PS3 till GT5 drops.

loving the interior shots. Thats the only reason I played TestDrive Unlimited(that crap game), was for the interiors. I love it, being able to drive around like your actually in the car....GT5 incar graphics are the closest thing Ill ever get to being inside my own supercar...until GT6 comes out.

I don´t think so since the physics modelling was so bad. Forza is actually way better as well was the old sports car GT by EA actually :).

But GT 5 seem to be improved and yes cockpit view is something I seriously preferr as well damage modelling thus I am interested in this title despite how crappy and overrated the previous iterations was. the tracks was really good though :)

As for cockpits I don´t think they will be as good as in the simbin titles would be incredible if they would get that detail into 500 cars or what GT 5 will feature.

Back