2[H]4U
fake 1050ti.JPG
fake 1050ti box.JPG
fake 1050ti card.JPG
fake1050ti back.JPG
gpuz.gif

So, this is a fake 1050ti, right?

Last edited:
Its from ebay. Im trying to get a refund and the guy offered me 50% refund and keep the cards. I explained to them that I know what they did and that I wanted 100% refund and a shipping label if they want their fake cards back.

Pic of the card? I'm curious as to what it looks like. If GPU-z says its fake though then it must be, esp if the card is from a known brand. You can probably run a few benches to confirm. The performance difference between a 550TI and a 1050TI is going to be obvious hehe

This is super common. You can buy cards on Aliexpress and other sites that are labeled as one thing, but are indeed fake. And on that note... there apparently are legit cards that are cheaper then anywhere else. Id rather hit up the used market somewhere like [H] then risk getting a piece of shit over like $40.

Also, a quick read up says that the presence of a VGA port should be a giveaway on fakes since pascal no longer does analog except maybe for few select models (I've seen a 1030 on the 'net with a VGA port though).

Yeah, I had a bad feeling when I looked at the box. Refund should be a given but we will see.

I updated OP with more pics of card

I've always had good luck with ebay .. I've always gotten refunded pretty quickly if I got a dud of something. I got scammed once (real UPS tracking info to my area .. but not to me or my package) and Ebay refunded me within an hour of reporting the incident .

What did they do, just edit the bios then? I'm new to fake cards o_O

Can you provide a full GPUz screenshot?

GF116 and DX11 give it away but it's be nice to see the remaining info for supportive evidence.

It's been going on for much longer than that, it just hit mainstream news outlets last year when GPU-Z released an updated that detected these fake cards. Most people buying these cheap cards are not tech-savvy and would not know any better, which is why they get away with it and would rather just refund people like the OP than face any real consequences.

Question for the dumb people: How can that be a fake card? I've never seen anything like this before....pretty shocking to say the least. I hope you do get your money back.

Next time, travel to China and examine the card before you buy.

(that was supposed to be funny, even funnier is the fact that I felt the need to type this)

The 2011 release date reported gives it away instantly that it is not a 10xx series card.

Even if you didn't use GPU-Z, you can also see on the memory chips Elpida H10328ABG, which are 2 Gb chips. Unless the card has 16 of them then there is no way it adds up to 4GB. That, and all the 1050 Ti I've seen use either Samsung or Micron memory.

Stay away from the eBay unless it's the official store front for another company. I buy but from Newegg or similar known brands only.

I got my 1080Ti on ebay for $475 shipped maybe 6 months ago.

It's significantly faster than my CDW bought 1080. Great purchase. And ebay has you protected if you get a fake.

I buy on ebay all the time, but I just limit my searches to either North America or US only so none of the China scammers come through, although I did buy a nice older AGP video card from Poland.

My biggest gripe about ebay is the garbage packaging most people put on their items because they either have zero idea how much shipping actually costs, or don't realize how cheap buying shipping labels right through ebay actually is.

They find out their shipping selection is much more expensive than they thought and then just throw your GPU in a shipping envelope (no joke that happened to me).

I buy on ebay all the time, but I just limit my searches to either North America or US only so none of the China scammers come through, although I did buy a nice older AGP video card from Poland.

My biggest gripe about ebay is the garbage packaging most people put on their items because they either have zero idea how much shipping actually costs, or don't realize how cheap buying shipping labels right through ebay actually is.

They find out their shipping selection is much more expensive than they thought and then just throw your GPU in a shipping envelope (no joke that happened to me).

working for the post office i've seen some absolutely stupid ways people ship things from fleabay sales.. i still can't get over the person who shipped a 5ft x 4ft mirror with zero padding on it.. lets just say it didn't make it to the person in 1 piece after a 58 pound box fell from 5ft directly on top of it.. pulled the huge box with the mirror in it out of the bottom of the shipping container and all i heard was the glass falling to the bottom of the box, lol.

Stay away from the eBay unless it's the official store front for another company. I buy but from Newegg or similar known brands only.
You even have to be careful with Newegg and any other company that has a 'market' as the fakes come into their system that way as well. I've seen fake hard drives, gpus, cpus, ram, you name it.

The fakes problem is hurting legit companies all the time, and yet nothing is done to shut the 'marketplace' sites down that benefit from such illegal imports. It's flat out ridiculous.

There was a time when importing fakes had some sort of punishment, but absent that, the US has become a dumping ground especially since people are shopping by price alone.

I've gotten to the point I'm fed up with CCC (Cheap Chinese Crap), fakes, shoddy stuff to the point I'm actually looking for USA made products, even if they cost 10x as much. I don't want to support the scam artists, sweatshop owners, and generally shady people--f them!

Even with their labels, you still have to pay for the packaging

I buy on ebay all the time, but I just limit my searches to either North America or US only so none of the China scammers come through

That won't save you anymore.

Due to the rising cost of shipping and the tariff nonsense, Chinese sellers are grouping together and buying warehouse space all over the US to peddle their crap from. It used to be obvious what they were doing as they'd list the item location as "US, US" or "CALIFORNIA US", but they're getting more clever and putting more specific locations to look less suspicious.

Their warehouses are usually near a major international port of entry like California, Chicago and New York.

That won't save you anymore.

Due to the rising cost of shipping and the tariff nonsense, Chinese sellers are grouping together and buying warehouse space all over the US to peddle their crap from. It used to be obvious what they were doing as they'd list the item location as "US, US" or "CALIFORNIA US", but they're getting more clever and putting more specific locations to look less suspicious.

Their warehouses are usually near a major international port of entry like California, Chicago and New York.
This is VERY true. I generally avoid listings from California in 'Engrish' as they're just warehoused in CA direct from China. Somewhat better protections as you can sue a US company, but dealing with that hassle is just not worth it. I didn't know about the other port cities though, so thank you for that. Chicago has a lot of used it gear, almost as much as the bay area, so lots of recyclers there with good deals. I've worked with a few of them via ebay and they were legit.

I didn't know about the other port cities though, so thank you for that. Chicago has a lot of used it gear, almost as much as the bay area, so lots of recyclers there with good deals. I've worked with a few of them via ebay and they were legit.

The more reputable Chinese/Taiwanese sellers often use air mail which ends up at Chicago O'Hare and then USPS ISC (International Shipping Center) for Customs, or more infrequently JFK or LaGuardia in NY. I discovered this a few years ago when sellers started using tracking numbers.

This is VERY true. I generally avoid listings from California in 'Engrish' as they're just warehoused in CA direct from China. Somewhat better protections as you can sue a US company, but dealing with that hassle is just not worth it. I didn't know about the other port cities though, so thank you for that. Chicago has a lot of used it gear, almost as much as the bay area, so lots of recyclers there with good deals. I've worked with a few of them via ebay and they were legit.
It's a problem coming through Tampa and Miami, too.

There's a distinct difference from buying a used videocard from a few states away for close to market price, and getting a used videocard from China for a fraction of market price. Most savvy consumers are aware of this, however there are still enough people out there that don't 'get' the difference between buying from a respectable establishment like newegg, and the fleamarket that is ebay.

Back