GPU-Z reports card as FAKE

Box looks fake as hell. Whens the last time Nvidia advertised Phys-X or used those Logos?

Proper Nvidia advertising, compare to your box, look at the logo's and word placing

IMG_0930.jpg

You even have to be careful with Newegg and any other company that has a 'market' as the fakes come into their system that way as well. I've seen fake hard drives, gpus, cpus, ram, you name it.

The fakes problem is hurting legit companies all the time, and yet nothing is done to shut the 'marketplace' sites down that benefit from such illegal imports. It's flat out ridiculous.

There was a time when importing fakes had some sort of punishment, but absent that, the US has become a dumping ground especially since people are shopping by price alone.

I've gotten to the point I'm fed up with CCC (Cheap Chinese Crap), fakes, shoddy stuff to the point I'm actually looking for USA made products, even if they cost 10x as much. I don't want to support the scam artists, sweatshop owners, and generally shady people--f them!
I got stolen on Amazon markeplace. Amazon did nothing, and on the contrary blocked my posts wouldn't answer my calls. I've been sold Canon heads as new when they were totally faked to look new and they were rinsed.

I got stolen on Amazon markeplace. Amazon did nothing, and on the contrary blocked my posts wouldn't answer my calls. I've been sold Canon heads as new when they were totally faked to look new and they were rinsed.
my wife has had her negative reviews of vendors deleted on Amazon .. pretty sketchy stuff
Hardcore shady...all in the name of short term profits and long term economic disaster...:cautious:

Reactions: N4CR
like this
enough people out there that don't 'get' the difference between buying from a respectable establishment like newegg, and the fleamarket that is ebay.

Newegg stopped being a respectable retailer when they opened the floodgates to their "Newegg marketplace" several years back. They're no different from Amazon, flooded with cheap and counterfeit garbage from fly by night sellers. And just like Amazon, if you have a problem with a marketplace seller, they wash their hands of the matter and you're SOL.

Marketplace sellers actually outstrip Newegg in numbers of products by orders of magnitude, Newegg hardly sells anything anymore. I remember back in the day when they had a large selection of components, now they're more like an online version of best Buy that has bare essentials and nothing more.

There is no long term economic disaster for Amazon. They going to own everything in 10 years anyway.
Oh there will be when the Chinese buy them out after those 10 years. Then what's left of the USA? :eek:

And we approach this scenario at an alarming rate without fear. Somewhere in history it was said about the US is that we will wait until the absolute last second before we do what is necessary, but I'm afraid in this scenario we won't be able to save ourselves. Our dependence on China (and other import manufacturing) has become our biggest weakness.

Newegg stopped being a respectable retailer when they opened the floodgates to their "Newegg marketplace" several years back. They're no different from Amazon, flooded with cheap and counterfeit garbage from fly by night sellers. And just like Amazon, if you have a problem with a marketplace seller, they wash their hands of the matter and you're SOL.

Marketplace sellers actually outstrip Newegg in numbers of products by orders of magnitude, Newegg hardly sells anything anymore. I remember back in the day when they had a large selection of components, now they're more like an online version of best Buy that has bare essentials and nothing more.
Yeah totally. They've got those shadies all over the place now. :(

Sorry you got robbed.

I never buy a gpu unless it's from HF, MCenter, Amazon Shipped by and sold, or Newegg. Never ever ever ever fleabay

Amazon Shipped by and sold

"shipped by or sold" on Amazon means nothing. I've had customers buy supposedly genuine software (usually Windows or Office) directly from Amazon with the "shipped by or sold by amazon" moniker only to receive xeroxed product key inserts and cardboard boxes with a burned and hand written on CD/DVDs. The same for computer parts, ESPECIALLY laptop chargers. They'll show a picture of the genuine unit and what you'll get is one of those horrible fake generic Chinese black bricks with "REPLACEMENT AC ADAPTER" in big white letters on the bottom. They're all the same inside with just a different DC barrel plug on the end. They're dangerous and will kill your laptop dead, I can't tell you how many motherboards I've replaced in laptops where these counterfeit chargers killed them. Don't buy a $2000 laptop and cheap out on a $9 "AC adapter"...

Everything on Amazon is pretty much fake.

"shipped by or sold" on Amazon means nothing. I've had customers buy supposedly genuine software (usually Windows or Office) directly from Amazon with the "shipped by or sold by amazon" moniker only to receive xeroxed product key inserts and cardboard boxes with a burned and hand written on CD/DVDs. The same for computer parts, ESPECIALLY laptop chargers. They'll show a picture of the genuine unit and what you'll get is one of those horrible fake generic Chinese black bricks with "REPLACEMENT AC ADAPTER" in big white letters on the bottom. They're all the same inside with just a different DC barrel plug on the end. They're dangerous and will kill your laptop dead, I can't tell you how many motherboards I've replaced in laptops where these counterfeit chargers killed them. Don't buy a $2000 laptop and cheap out on a $9 "AC adapter"...

Everything on Amazon is pretty much fake.
Ditto on this. After reading an article from years back on how a data center got fake xeons 'sold by amazon' twice, I've learned that the shady is all over amazon.

Its from ebay.

Congratulations, you can now join the folks who currently are buying a Used 3+ year old (with no warranty) GTX 1070 for $220 (average BIN pricing) when all the while a BRAND NEW GTX 1660 Ti (slightly faster, runs MUCH cooler and has 3 year warranty) sells for $270

I'm beginning to think that PC gaming hardware buyers are perhaps the most gullible, easy to deceive creatures on the face of the earth. There are those who go to ebay who are still expecting to find "a deal of a lifetime" and in so doing wind up, well, you know :barefoot:

I never buy a gpu unless it's from HF, MCenter, Amazon Shipped by and sold, or Newegg. Never ever ever ever fleabay

GTX 970's are almost if not always a safe buy as well as CPU's ... depends on what the item is and if an item (no matter what the item is) is prices super low on eBay ... Never ever ever ever buy it

Last edited:
GTX 970's are almost if not always a safe buy as well as CPU's ... depends on what the item is and if an item (no matter what the item is) is prices super low on eBay ... Never ever ever ever buy it

Why would anyone buy a defective by design GPU like the GTX 970?

CPUs are not safe to randomly buy on Ebay. I've gotten my share of dead or dying CPUs that had been obviously overclocked to the moon and ruined. There are also plenty of remarked CPUs, especially in the Socket 462 generation when CPU counterfeiting was rampant.

Yep it doesn't matter if it says shipped and sold by Amazon. It is comingled inventory with third party sellers. Fakes ahoy!

You know, brick and morter stores making a come back wouldn't surprise me one bit--maybe cheap, maybe fake online--or genuine local in store or I go back to the store and get a simple refund. Can't be shady to someone's face every single day and stay in business locally.

You know, brick and morter stores making a come back wouldn't surprise me one bit--maybe cheap, maybe fake online--or genuine local in store or I go back to the store and get a simple refund. Can't be shady to someone's face every single day and stay in business locally.

Brick and mortar stores are likely going to make a comeback due to South Dakota v. Wayfair where they overturned Quill Corp v. North Dakota. This means that any state can charge sales tax to any entity selling to entities residing in their state. If you noticed Newegg started charging sales tax, this is the reason, so online retailers don't have an advantage over retail stores in terms of taxation now. They still have overhead from their physical retail stores though.

Brick and mortar stores are likely going to make a comeback due to South Dakota v. Wayfair where they overturned Quill Corp v. North Dakota. This means that any state can charge sales tax to any entity selling to entities residing in their state. If you noticed Newegg started charging sales tax, this is the reason, so online retailers don't have an advantage over retail stores in terms of taxation now. They still have overhead from their physical retail stores though.
Yep, very interesting turn of events since the Quill case was a landmark decision during its time and opened the door for the mail-order businesses to thrive (sadly seems like Quill went a bit to the wayside--we used to order from them all the time). It's good to see that the law is being revisited and revised to reflect the changing times. Now, if only the copyright and other laws that bound newspapers would apply to online publishers (would have to overturn the AOL ruling from the 1990s), then we would have proper 'news' outlets again and print publications going online won't be undercut by fly by night gossip sites.

Back