GPU Upgrade from GTX 670 worth it for Core i7 3820?

Not to derail the point of this thread, but on a side note- I understand why GPU prices are high, but what's driven up RAM pricing? I remember back when I built my rig I got my 32 gigs of DDR3 for about $160 bucks. What the heck happend with DDR4 that it's double/triple the cost?

Cell Phone makers buying all the RAM up. I paid $400 for 64GB of 3200mhz RAM in May of 2016. That same RAM is now over $900 on the Egg... Really puts a damper on my desire to go to 128GB in my box...

Cell Phone makers buying all the RAM up. I paid $400 for 64GB of 3200mhz RAM in May of 2016. That same RAM is now over $900 on the Egg... Really puts a damper on my desire to go to 128GB in my box...

:eek:

That is absolutely ridiculous.

Truly is. Demand is through the roof for DDR4 from phones now, and Samsung/Hynix/Micron are putting priority in mobiles/server memory and leaving desktops out to dry. Maybe there's some artificial "supply issues" going on as well.

Memory makers are definitely the ones winning in this situation, folks are still paying double the price for their memory, and it's been going on for quite a while now.

I believe it.

My 1+5 has 8GB LPDDR4.

All these new SoCs, damnit

Last edited:
Love hearing everyone's viewpoints on the matter. Thanks guys. Now another question- I see a lot of discussion regarding a 1060. If I were to go down that price point ($200-300)- does that seem to be the favored card over a Radeon RX 580? Or is it just brand preference at that point? I assume anything past that price point would result in a 1070 or 1070 Ti over any AMD offering...

580 is a little more forward looking (faster in dx12 and vulkan) vs. the 1060. 1060 is better in VR, though I don't know if that will last as AMD have made a lot of progress with their drivers. I'm a 1060 owner, bought a year ago when I got an Oculus, but if I were buying today I would probably go 580, especially if VR were not in my plans.

580 is a little more forward looking (faster in dx12 and vulkan) vs. the 1060. 1060 is better in VR, though I don't know if that will last as AMD have made a lot of progress with their drivers. I'm a 1060 owner, bought a year ago when I got an Oculus, but if I were buying today I would probably go 580, especially if VR were not in my plans.

Hmmm. I have no interest in VR at all. Do you know if there are a lot of upcoming games that plan to make use of Vulkan?

To answer OP's original question: Yes. See my rig in sig below. I used to have a GTX 690.

Hmmm. I have no interest in VR at all. Do you know if there are a lot of upcoming games that plan to make use of Vulkan?

Anything idtech6 - so the just released Wolfenstein, Doom from last year. Not sure what's coming up next but I'd expect fairly regular Doom/Wolfenstein releases (DoomVFR dropped yesterday but that's VR).

Anything idtech6 - so the just released Wolfenstein, Doom from last year. Not sure what's coming up next but I'd expect fairly regular Doom/Wolfenstein releases (DoomVFR dropped yesterday but that's VR).
UE4 has Vulkan support as well.

Back