GPU Support for new 27" 110P Monitor?

techbob

Limp Gawd
Here's my system - old but still not too bad for what I do! I'm currently using on board graphics.

Intel 3570k
P8Z77-V LK motherboad
16GB

Up until now two 24" monitors 1080p have been fine, but my goal is to get a new 27" monitor greater than 1080P.

I won't be gaming, just need to support for Lightroom and a occasional Photoshop.

The new monitor that I'm considering is 2K WQHD (2560x1440p)

From my motherboard specs -
Integrated Graphics Processor
Multi-VGA output support : HDMI/DVI/RGB/DisplayPort ports
- Supports HDMI with max. resolution 1920 x 1200 @ 60 Hz
- Supports DVI with max. resolution 1920 x 1200 @ 60 Hz
- Supports RGB with max. resolution 2048 x 1536 @ 75 Hz
- Supports DisplayPort with max. resolution 2560 x 1600 @ 60 Hz
Maximum shared memory of 1696 MB
Supports Intel® HD Graphics

If I use displayport will this drive the 1440P monitor and a second monitor (DVI or VGA) at 1080p (24") adequately?

Any help appreciated! If I add a new GPU I may need to upgrade the PSU and due to my computer case, I'll have to remove the motherboard which I wish to avoid!

If there's a GPU that is energy efficient, that will do a better job than the on board graphics I'm open to that as well.

Thanks!

Something like this?
https://www.amazon.com/ZOTAC-GeForc...ild=1&keywords=GTX+1050&qid=1593701444&sr=8-2

That card is bus powered and has both DVI and DisplayPort. It should do exactly what you need.

There are cheaper options, such as the 1050 that would also do what you need, but they may be harder to find at this point. Used RX580s are also abundant and pretty cheap, but they generally require more power, and may necessitate a power supply upgrade.

Is the case this is going in a weirdo ITX case or anything like that, where longer cards won't fit?

As an Amazon Associate, HardForum may earn from qualifying purchases.
Something like this?
https://www.amazon.com/ZOTAC-GeForc...ild=1&keywords=GTX+1050&qid=1593701444&sr=8-2

That card is bus powered and has both DVI and DisplayPort. It should do exactly what you need.

There are cheaper options, such as the 1050 that would also do what you need, but they may be harder to find at this point. Used RX580s are also abundant and pretty cheap, but they generally require more power, and may necessitate a power supply upgrade.

Is the case this is going in a weirdo ITX case or anything like that, where longer cards won't fit?

Isn't that overkill for my needs? Would displayport drive from the on board graphics drive the 1440p monitor OK? I don't care about frame rates and gaming stuff for this rig.

Also, my case is full ATX so size isn't an issue.

As an Amazon Associate, HardForum may earn from qualifying purchases.
You can always try it and see. Even for non-gaming use, I generally don't like using the Intel GPU, as there are plenty of things that use the GPU that aren't games, but if it worked for you before, it will probably still work with the new display.

Isn't that overkill for my needs? Would displayport drive from the on board graphics drive the 1440p monitor OK? I don't care about frame rates and gaming stuff for this rig.

Also, my case is full ATX so size isn't an issue.

Yes, it should drive the 1440p monitor without issue up to 60Hz. Probably a limit of whatever DisplayPort spec is on the motherboard.

Yes, it should drive the 1440p monitor without issue up to 60Hz. Probably a limit of whatever DisplayPort spec is on the motherboard.

Right,

Intel half-assed their DP 1.1 implementation, which is why it only supports half the maximum bandwidth on-releases. But that's still more than enough to handle 1600p.

The later introduced full 4k support, but I'm not sure just how fast it is (not clear if adding the second port gets you 4k@30, or 4k at 60?)

https://www.anandtech.com/show/6270/ivy-bridge-gets-4k-display-support-in-october

Since you have HD 4000, it should be more than enough for 1440p + 1080p desktop work / casual games @1080p. Just make sure you have dual-channel ram working correctly at at least DDR3 1600

Last edited:
Back