GPU Shortages Will Worsen Thanks to Coin Miners

AMD intentionally nerfed/left unoptimized RDNA2. The hash per KW is just not there compared to Nvidia. I have seen Elsmere GPUs going way up on price lately. Enough RAM and we're pretty cheap...
You know, I can respect that. I'm not sure about the business implications, but I can respect that attitude at least.

AMD intentionally nerfed/left unoptimized RDNA2. The hash per KW is just not there compared to Nvidia. I have seen Elsmere GPUs going way up on price lately. Enough RAM and we're pretty cheap...

In my experience, yes and no at least with ETH. A 6800 is more efficient in terms of Hash/KW compared to a 3070. A 6800 is not as efficient as a 5700. A 3080 is more efficient than a 3070 and 6800, but in terms of raw efficiency it's almost as efficient as a 5700, however a 5700 won't hash as high as a 3080. All of them are more efficient than a RX580, but the RX580s are usually the cheapest.

Here's some not particularly optimized quick and dirty estimates (off the top of my head):
RX 580 - 30Mh/s @ 100W
RX 5700 - 52Mh/s @ 100W
RX 6800 - 60Mh/s @ 120W
RTX 3060Ti - 58Mh/s @ 140W
RTX 3070 - 58Mh/s @ 140W
RTX 3080 - 90Mh/s @180W
Radeon VII - 100Mh/s @ 210W

Because the memory of the 6800 is essentially identical to the 6800XT and the 6900XT you don't gain anything by spending more money where you do with Nvidia and the GDDR6X.

Last edited:
You know, I can respect that. I'm not sure about the business implications, but I can respect that attitude at least.
Seems prudent for AMD to do this, if they had an unlimited or much greater capacity to make GPUs then I can see them trying to be in both markets. Since not the case, it is better to take care of your long term and hopefully establish a longer term relationship with new customers.

Frankly, I think AMD RNDA2 would smoke Ampere in Crypto mining due to the cache. Look at RNDA1 without the cache and how effective it is. If AMD can saturate the gaming market, AMD could re-enter the mining market or make specialty cards just for mining, which I think they should do as in no video outputs. Packed multiple GPU's on one card and sell it for a fortune or something.

In my experience, yes and no at least with ETH. A 6800 is more efficient in terms of Hash/KW compared to a 3070. A 6800 is not as efficient as a 5700. A 3080 is more efficient than a 3070 and 6800, but in terms of raw efficiency it's almost as efficient as a 5700, however a 5700 won't hash as high as a 3080. All of them are more efficient than a RX580, but the RX580s are usually the cheapest.

Here's some not particularly optimized quick and dirty estimates (off the top of my head):
RX 580 - 30Mh/s @ 100W
RX 5700 - 52Mh/s @ 100W
RX 6800 - 60Mh/s @ 120W
RTX 3070 - 58Mh/s @ 140W
RTX 3080 - 90Mh/s @180W
Radeon VII - 100Mh/s @ 210W

Because the memory of the 6800 is essentially identical to the 6800XT and the 6900XT you don't gain anything by spending more money where you do with Nvidia and the GDDR6X.
Conveniently missing 3060 from that data.

Now do prices on those!!

I'll edit it later with pricing. I mean if you're going to have a mining farm then yes the 3060 is probably the best bang for the buck either that or the 5700. but if you're buying a video card for yourself and are just mining on the side, the price of the card isn't as important.

I'll edit it later with pricing. I mean if you're going to have a mining farm then yes the 3060 is probably the best bang for the buck either that or the 5700. but if you're buying a video card for yourself and are just mining on the side, the price of the card isn't as important.
Yeah, cost means nothing to anyone.

Conveniently missing 3060 from that data.
No data yet, not released as far as I can tell.

Something is going on with the 6900 XT hashrate, using NiceHash calculator here:
https://www.nicehash.com/profitability-calculator/amd-rx-6900-xt-16gb

Compared to the 6800 XT or 6800 it is way higher than expected, current at time of posting which will change rapidily afterwards, included are Nicehash Calculator Ampere cards:

3060 Ti $4.60/day

3070 - 4.65

3080 - 7.57

3090 9.26

6800 - 4.85

6800 XT - 4.90

6900 XT - 6.83 (2CUs, 11% more, same memory bandwidth yet 39% better hashrate? While the 6800 XT with 20% more CUs over the 6800, same bandwidth for all three cards are about the same)

Looks like AMD is not hindering as much the 6900 XT in mining.

My latest console is a Playstation 1. What is the supply on consoles nowadays? Equally as bad a GPUs?

edit: those look to be sold out too, haha

man, all going to have to start reading books or something
Between Nov and Dec Sony managed to move something insane like 3.6 million PS5’s, no clue how many XBoxes not as many for sure but not a small number. It’s no secret that AMD is contracted by delivery requirements to Sony and Microsoft and as such must prioritize their orders first. AMD will not have any meaningful quantity of consumer GPU’s until March or April, when they get their Feb-March production run (not much gets built in China in Jan, too many holidays). After April they should then be prioritizing Threadripper and Epyc for their expected announcements at what ever form CES takes.
AMD is stretched very thin, I highly doubt their ability to produce any of their parts in the quantities the consumers would like, but I can guarantee that everything they will build will get sold so as far as they and their shareholders are concerned it will be an overwhelming success.

:rolleyes:Between Nov and Dec Sony managed to move something insane like 3.6 million PS5’s, no clue how many XBoxes not as many for sure but not a small number. It’s no secret that AMD is contracted by delivery requirements to Sony and Microsoft and as such must prioritize their orders first. AMD will not have any meaningful quantity of consumer GPU’s until March or April, when they get their Feb-March production run (not much gets built in China in Jan, too many holidays). After April they should then be prioritizing Threadripper and Epyc for their expected announcements at what ever form CES takes.
AMD is stretched very thin, I highly doubt their ability to produce any of their parts in the quantities the consumers would like, but I can guarantee that everything they will build will get sold so as far as they and their shareholders are concerned it will be an overwhelming success.
If only they had their own fans like intel...

I have no problem with miners, they found a job and a way to do it. I still have zero respect for scalpers who create an artificial scarcity to generate a profit.
The problem is it is a massive waste of resources and doesn't generate anything useful. Bitcoin uses an immense amount of power to mine, which in turn uses up natural resources, and doesn't get us anything. We have far less power hungry methods of handling currency transfer.

The problem is it is a massive waste of resources and doesn't generate anything useful. Bitcoin uses an immense amount of power to mine, which in turn uses up natural resources, and doesn't get us anything. We have far less power hungry methods of handling currency transfer.
That's just demonstrating that we need to fortify the grid with SMRs.

the author is a douche

shit article that tries to spin another us vs them angle for gamers. as if there isn't enough of that going around

people losing their livelihoods left and right and this guy wants to shame some for GPU mining

in the trash where it belongs

That's why I never sell my previous GPU. Serves as my 2nd Rig/Back-up GPU in case my main GPU ever shits the bed.

Right, my GTX 750 Ti is still sitting in a Zotac box on my shelf . I might also have my older GTX 460 buried somewhere in the closet.

I currently have two active gaming systems: the main gaming PC is a 1060 6gb running at 1080p, and the OLED HTPC is still humming along fin on a GTX 960 at 1080p / 4k on really old games.

After discovering that my 6GB vram pascal card cannot max-out Doom Eternal at 1080p (not because of performance limits, it's VRAM-limited from ultra-nightmare textures!) I can run the game just fine with all other ultra nightmare effects on at 80 fps in the first two levels (so it sucks I can only run textures at nightmare)! Now, I'm just waiting (now for even longer) for something with more than 6GB VRAM and 2070 Super performance to drop below that $300 mark! May be the 12Gb 3060.

Last edited:
Right, my GTX 750 Ti is still sitting in a Zotac box on my shelf . I might also have my older GTX 460 buried somewhere in the closet.

I currently have two active gaming systems: the main gaming PC is a 1060, and the HTPC is still humming along fin on a GTX 960, - I'm just waiting for something with more than 6GB VRAM to drop below that $300 mark.

Yep, all 3 of my computers are very capable of gaming, a Vega 64, Vega 56 and RX 5700. :) Guess it will be a while before I can upgrade but to be honest, I have lived through the 2013 miner craze and the 2016 miner craze as well.

Isn’t that why people vote for <insert the other political party from your affiliation here> ?
Nah, that's what people in Congress do, they write Bills and give themselves raises...like the latest "Covid Relief" Bill.

Screw Bitcoin, if you don't want to do ANY work and just show up to collect a check, Congress is the place to be, there is a long waiting line though.

We'll see when the tax man comes knocking.
Tax Man only comes when you sell and when he does - he only takes a little. I mined this shit years ago when it was worth pennies. Easy Money.

Tax Man only comes when you sell and when he does - he only takes a little. I mined this shit years ago when it was worth pennies. Easy Money.
How does that work? So you keep it in a Coin wallet? How does it not factor in to your income?

When you go to do your taxes at the end of the year & it asks you if you made any extra income, what do you say? I know what people say.

Is the best way for a regular person to mine to just use NiceHash? I remember trying to do this a while ago and it was super confusing and when I finally got something going it was making me way less than I expected based on some mining calculator.

How does that work? So you keep it in a Coin wallet? How does it not factor in to your income? Seems that may fall into a bit of tax evasion? No?
Crypto is treated like capital gains. As long as it's not traded for cash, it isn't taxed. Just like if you have stocks, you are not taxed until you sell.

Is the best way for a regular person to mine to just use NiceHash? I remember trying to do this a while ago and it was super confusing and when I finally got something going it was making me way less than I expected based on some mining calculator.
Mining is a hassle now, just buy crypto low directly and sell high.

I have no problem with miners, they found a job and a way to do it. I still have zero respect for scalpers who create an artificial scarcity to generate a profit.
I don't disagree with your about scalpers at all!

5500xt going for more than what i paid for my 5700 back in 2019. strange times..

3 years ago the price of a 1080Ti was well over $1,000 due to mining. Just wait for the inevitable pullback. Then you'll get mining cards for cheap as people look to liquidate. It's all cyclical.

Back