GPU Shortage Got You Down? GeForce GT 730 Makes a Comeback

Huh? Not even going to quote the text. This has nothing to do with honest supply and demand.
https://www.tomshardware.com/amp/news/gpu-shortage-got-you-down-geforce-gt-730-makes-a-comeback
link URL and text seem to be swapped

Finally I can flex on these chromebook kids stuck playing minecraft on Intel graphics 💪
Barely... this thing isn't going to be much faster than a UHD630, probably UHD750 level and way slower than Iris Xe (or any Iris)
Buuut at least people who buy one can say they have a Graphics Card and be technically telling the truth!

link URL and text seem to be swapped

Barely... this thing isn't going to be much faster than a UHD630, probably UHD750 level and way slower than Iris Xe (or any Iris)
Buuut at least people who buy one can say they have a Graphics Card and be technically telling the truth!
Link fixed. Thanks

Maybe I misread the press release but didn't Nvidia just announced they are dropping driver support for these?

Maybe I misread the press release but didn't Nvidia just announced they are dropping driver support for these?
They're generally for servers or the like - not for home users. I have 2 in servers, and (one linux, one ESXi), you really don't care about the driver that much.

Funny thing is in my experience, some of the GT 730 cards can be overclocked quite a bit through BIOS modding. Have a Dell variant that I got running at 1309MHz on the GPU with some voltage tweaking(apx 400MHz over stock), and 1350MHz on the 2GB of 64-bit GDDR5 memory in a friend's extreme budget PC. At that overclocked speed he plays a number of modern games at 720p/30FPS just fine. He just completed Metro Exodus at 720p medium settings. :ROFLMAO: The only games that just don't run great are Far Cry 5 and New Dawn.....been my experience the Dunia engine doesn't really run well on Kepler cards.

This particular card with 2GB of DDR3 on a 64-bit bus makes literally no sense to me though. If they are going to install DDR3 at least give it a 128-bit bus - otherwise modern integrated video is most likely more usable for low-end gaming then this MSI card. A low-end Kepler GPU needs all the memory bandwidth it can get. :confused:

Last edited:
This is one funny release.
"What the market will bear...huh!"
Thie GPU market highlights the worst of capitalism...the greed generated by shortages.

Reactions: kac77
like this
This is one funny release.
"What the market will bear...huh!"
Thie GPU market highlights the worst of capitalism...the greed generated by shortages.
Here's the tell..... If there are wafer shortages where exactly are these going to be produced again?

My 750 ti is not looking so bad now...

Before any hint of this iteration of shortages, I happened to buy a handful of 1050Ti cards, because I like to put them in low power machines that still see occasional games. (and for my kids' PCs) They've been getting me by ok until I can pick up a proper higher end card again.

Before any hint of this iteration of shortages, I happened to buy a handful of 1050Ti cards, because I like to put them in low power machines that still see occasional games. (and for my kids' PCs) They've been getting me by ok until I can pick up a proper higher end card again.
But who knew that you'd be able to sell them to handle your kids college costs!

Yeah and Nvidia is going to stop supporting the 700 series in a few months! Don't buy too many of the GT 730s.

Thought there was a substrate issue as well?
That production process uses (I ~think~) slightly different substrate. That hits my knowledge limit - but they're still making tons of 28nm, not having the same issues as 7/8nm are.

Reactions: kac77
like this
Back