GPU sales rise across the board, from AMD and Intel to Nvidia

FrgMstr

Just Plain Mean
Staff member

GPU sales rise across the board, from AMD and Intel to Nvidia

Driven by PC gaming, pandemic upgrading and potentially crypto-currency miners, GPU units hit a healthy 13.4 per cent increase in sales over the previous quarter, respected graphics analyst firm Jon Peddie Research has revealed.

Jon Peddie Research, which has tracked graphics cards sales since 1987, said Nvidia’s third quarter position in 2020 rose to 77 per cent of the market, up from 73 per cent in Q2 2019. AMD has ups and downs through the same period and currently stands at 23 per cent.

GPU sales have been more “robust” than normal, the JPR report said. The firm attributes that to the continued popularity of PC gaming, along with an increase in PC purchases for the home due to the pandemic, as well as some crypto-mining.

JPR forecast graphics cards would continue to grow in sales over the next few years as well. “The AIB market reached $14.8 billion last year,” said Dr. Jon Peddie. “We forecast it to be $20.3 billion by 2023.”

JPR reported hearty unit sales of 11.5 million for the quarter. That’s still far shy of the 114 million graphics cards that shipped in 1999. That was before Intel began integrating graphics cores into every CPU, and before laptops began to grow in popularity.

The report follows analysis the firm released that showed Intel’s graphics market share (including integrated and discrete solutions) dropped 1.4 per cent to just about 62 per cent in Q3. Nvidia maintained a steady 19 per cent, while AMD actually ticked up 1.3 per cent to around 19 per cent as well.

Sales were strong for all. Integrated and discrete graphics together grew by 10.3 per cent. AMD picked up the lions’ share with a bump of 18.7 per cent. Intel picked up 7.8 per cent, while Nvidia grew 10.8 per cent.

Still waiting for desktop retail Renoir...

AMD could push more igpus, if they would give us new GPUs to purchase.
They're out there, you just have to buy them from Aliexpress and call your bank to let a chinese marketplace site billing from London charge your card, and then wait a few weeks for them to arrive. I suspect AMD isn't selling them at US retail because they'd rather sell CPUs, and they're supply limited, but who knows. I thought I saw a news link that Lenovo has the desktop chips in prebuilts now, but I can't find them on their site, just that they're 'coming soon'.

They're out there, you just have to buy them from Aliexpress and call your bank to let a chinese marketplace site billing from London charge your card, and then wait a few weeks for them to arrive. I suspect AMD isn't selling them at US retail because they'd rather sell CPUs, and they're supply limited, but who knows. I thought I saw a news link that Lenovo has the desktop chips in prebuilts now, but I can't find them on their site, just that they're 'coming soon'.
yeah - IIRC Lisa Su said during launch that these were for OEM DIY/enthusiasts would get something soon. Zen 3 is nice, but I really would like a retail DIY 8C/16T 65W APU that I don't have to go through wonky shady grey market channels to get. Unless desktop Zen3 APUs are imminent. (I doubt it)

HTPC market may appreciate such a product.

yeah - IIRC Lisa Su said during launch that these were for OEM DIY/enthusiasts would get something soon. Zen 3 is nice, but I really would like a retail DIY 8C/16T 65W APU that I don't have to go through wonky shady grey market channels to get. Unless desktop Zen3 APUs are imminent. (I doubt it)

HTPC market may appreciate such a product.
Zen3 APU's have been spotted on a few of the Geekbench scores in the last few weeks, probably aiming for a launch at what ever shape CES takes in 2021.

If third quarter they are talking ended October 25, that could explain AMD decline (-15%) in discrete GPU market share versus Q3 2019, despite an good increase in overall gpu market share (I imagine AMD laptop are gaining big time)

The 2 next one will be more interesting.

P.S. Was it me that got lost in all that discrete vs overall GPUs, what is the period covered by the quarter in question and so on. It felt so unclear and unnecessary versus a table.

Last edited:
I do not get the joke, anyway Intel is still by far the biggest sellers of GPU in unit (on the PC side) the last quarter with 62%, exactly the same has in 2013.

It is not a joke, it is a legitimate question.

Intel's Arctic Sound (DG1) is their first discrete GPU in 20 years, and it has not launched yet to my knowledge.

So, if you want to buy an Intel GPU right now, it seems you are buying an Intel CPU, and on those the GPU just kind of tag a long for the ride. I wouldn't use them as any indication of "GPU Sales".

It is not a joke, it is a legitimate question.
Most PC are laptop powered with an integrated GPU that come with there Intel CPU, plus you have office desktop that are also massively powered by the GPU that come with an intel processor as well.

They are your, HD Graphics 5300 or UHD 660:
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Intel_Graphics_Technology

That in good part why discrete GPU sales are not close to what they were 20 years ago

And tomorrow there will be another PC GaMiNg is DeAd article based on nothing.
I'm seriously thinking of going console. I could buy top of the line i7 system in 2014 for ~1500€, today top of the line system costs 2500€ (and you cant even get it unless you wait your order for about a year)

Most PC are laptop powered with an integrated GPU that come with there Intel CPU, plus you have office desktop that are also massively powered by the GPU that come with an intel processor as well.

They are your, HD Graphics 5300 or UHD 660:
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Intel_Graphics_Technology

That in good part why discrete GPU sales are not close to what they were 20 years ago

And that is a fair point. But you still can't go out and buy an Intel GPU. You are either buying a complete Laptop, or at the very least a CPU with an iGPU.

Because of that, it is disingenuous to use Intel sales figures as representative of "GPU Sales"

And that is a fair point. But you still can't go out and buy an Intel GPU. You are either buying a complete Laptop, or at the very least a CPU with an iGPU.

Because of that, it is disingenuous to use Intel sales figures as representative of "GPU Sales"
Yes that was my :
P.S. Was it me that got lost in all that discrete vs overall GPUs, what is the period covered by the quarter in question and so on. It felt so unclear and unnecessary versus a table.

But your you buying a complete Laptop is the most standard PC purchase scenario I think, but like you said many of the buyers do not know they are buying a GPU and will not have much usage outside youtube video acceleration and other of the sorts.

From what I understand...
GPU units hit a healthy 13.4

Those are discrete GPU units increase

Integrated and discrete graphics together grew by 10.3 per cent
Those are total GPU sales increases

No detail for the integrated alone sales. I could be wrong.

Just as a quick FYI apparently Intel has begun shipping their discrete GPU's to OEM's since October.
https://videocardz.com/newz/intel-officially-confirms-dg1-gpu-is-now-shipping-to-oems-and-dg2-has-taped-out#:~:text=Graphics-,Intel officially confirms DG1 GPU is now shipping to,and DG2 has taped out&text=Send a tip!&text=Intel has officially confirmed it,in 20 years – the DG1.
1607550862332.png

I wonder what the full unhindered number would be. If every model of card was in stock, it'd probably be crazy amount of sales.

Sales would probably be even larger if I could manage to buy a fucking card
I too am unable to find an AMD 6 card anywhere.

I bought a 3090 because its the only card I could find and I could only find it because the price is so prohibitive to most people, even I.

As soon as I can get my hands on a 68/6900xt I am selling/returning this 3090 as its still unopened.

I hope availability wont be as bad if/when RTX 3080 Ti comes out.
Already got my Cyberpunk 2077 copy, but no GPU to play it at the moment. Not with all the raytracing goodness anyway:cry:

I hope availability wont be as bad if/when RTX 3080 Ti comes out.
Already got my Cyberpunk 2077 copy, but no GPU to play it at the moment. Not with all the raytracing goodness anyway:cry:
Well rumors/leaks are pointing towards a January release for the 3080 Ti which is next month. Highly unlikely that stock issues will be resolved by then. I’m guessing stock will return to some semblance of ‘normal’ towards the end of Q2 2021 so we’re still several months away.

Back