GPU prices — is the worst behind us ?

I just clicked buy on an Asus 'Tuf' 3080ti for $949.

I couldn't decide if it was going to drop farther or not. I could see it going either way, and I would kick myself if it went up significantly and never came back down.

Now I am on the sidelines, watching and asking: How much did I save or lose by buying now?

I just clicked buy on an Asus 'Tuf' 3080ti for $949.

I couldn't decide if it was going to drop farther or not. I could see it going either way, and I would kick myself if it went up significantly and never came back down.

Now I am on the sidelines, watching and asking: How much did I save or lose by buying now?
Why didn't you spend $50 more to get the 3090? https://hardforum.com/threads/zotac-rtx-3090-999-on-woot.2020869/. The deal is still active.

3080ti for less than $900 available. I want one but I think I will wait until the RTX 4000 series gpus come out and see if they get even lower.

I wonder, how low they will get?

3080 ti is $850 now

But you are probably better off buying new 40x0 cards whenever they are released as they should deliver much higher performance for the same price

https://www.techspot.com/article/2519-gpu-pricing-update/

3080 ti is $850 now

But you are probably better off buying new 40x0 cards whenever they are released as they should deliver much higher performance for the same price

https://www.techspot.com/article/2519-gpu-pricing-update/

Graphics card prices are plummeting. Should you buy now, or wait?​

https://www.pcworld.com/article/830845/gpu-prices-plummeting-buy-now-or-wait.html

If you replace your graphics card more often, your strategy will be different than someone who tends to buy and hold for as long as possible.

For example, if you’re someone who likes to replaces your card every couple of years, and you’re now four or five years into ownership of your current GPU, you may be feeling long past due for an upgrade now that prices are normal. Since you’ll replace the card within a couple of years, waiting longer may not sit right, even given the age of the current generation of GPUs.

On the flip side, if you tend to hold onto your graphics cards until death do you part, waiting another half year for the rumored launches of Nvidia’s RTX 40-series and AMD’s RDNA3 Radeon cards Radeon cards is the more fitting decision. Holding out for the latest tech will help extend the life of your purchase.

Knowing when to hold them or when to fold them.. is same case with "when to buy".. it's a gambling act... Prices are falling... so yes.. it is a good time to buy... but do you hold out for further drops and buy on the continuing dip or do you cave now?
When next gen releases... history repeats.. it will cost you an arm, leg and maybe a kidney. That will push more to just go with previous gen, nvidia 30xx or amd 6xxx.. which might push those prices back up.

Graphics card prices are plummeting. Should you buy now, or wait?​

https://www.pcworld.com/article/830845/gpu-prices-plummeting-buy-now-or-wait.html

If you replace your graphics card more often, your strategy will be different than someone who tends to buy and hold for as long as possible.

For example, if you’re someone who likes to replaces your card every couple of years, and you’re now four or five years into ownership of your current GPU, you may be feeling long past due for an upgrade now that prices are normal. Since you’ll replace the card within a couple of years, waiting longer may not sit right, even given the age of the current generation of GPUs.

On the flip side, if you tend to hold onto your graphics cards until death do you part, waiting another half year for the rumored launches of Nvidia’s RTX 40-series and AMD’s RDNA3 Radeon cards Radeon cards is the more fitting decision. Holding out for the latest tech will help extend the life of your purchase.

I think even for people who upgrade every generation, you're better off waiting for the new cards. Getting a 3*** makes sense if you need a GPU now, don't play the latest games, if it is for a backup PC, or don't care about turning up all the settings. Essentially value & time frame.

I am in the 'hold to see what happens' camp on GPUs.
With slightly lower demand this time out, there is a much better chance to score what you want...with patience.
Chances are, people won't be able to buy an Nvidia 4000 or AMD 7000 series within the first two months due to the 'new shine' buying craze.
Wait a while.
Remember the whole issue with crashing when certain RTX3000 series cards were released?
We were inundated with info about MLCC and SP-CAPs for quite some time.
As to new cards....
Pricing versus performance as always, will be the determining factor.
If Nvidia releases an RTX4070 at say $500-600... (even with the reported 10 GB buffer) it'll go on the list of cards I am looking at.
If AMD does something similar (performance-wise) but with less power draw and more VRAM, it'll immediately replace that 4070 option.
The way I view it... I've waited a long time for a better option to the current stand-in GTX1060.
Waiting another few months won't matter that much.
In any event, the new and used current generation inventory will last for quite some time and continue to see price reductions due to lower demand.
I don't mind buying a 12 or 16 GB current gen from either company should the upcoming gen prove elusive or be badly priced.

Last edited:
PSA to everyone planning to use their already old GPU to wait until market conditions are more favorable:

CLEAN AND REPASTE YOUR DIE AND CHANGE YOUR VRAM AND VRM THERMAL PADS AND CLEAN YOUR PCB NOW. LIKE RIGHT NOW.

If you don't feel comfortable doing it, take it to a shop. You can't play hardball with GPU manufacturers if you're desperate and you have a dead card.

I just got a 3080ti for 1100$ CAD (~$850US) and I'm very happy with the performance increase over my 1080ti (that I had since March 2017).
I paid 50$ more then I did for the 1080ti (ref model) + Arctic Cooling water cooler for it back in 2017. With the major inflation we are seeing this past years, I think that price was pretty reasonable.
I wanted to wait for the the next gen but playing at 4k with the 1080ti wasn't great and I had enough.

I'm sure it'll be possible to buy the same/similar performance with a cheaper 4000 in a few months but I decided to buy now while the price are reasonable.
The 3080ti might not last me as long as the 1080ti since I bought so late in the cycle but I expect to get ~4 years out of it and will probably wait for a 5080ti to replace it.

PSA to everyone planning to use their already old GPU to wait until market conditions are more favorable:

CLEAN AND REPASTE YOUR DIE AND CHANGE YOUR VRAM AND VRM THERMAL PADS AND CLEAN YOUR PCB NOW. LIKE RIGHT NOW.

If you don't feel comfortable doing it, take it to a shop. You can't play hardball with GPU manufacturers if you're desperate and you have a dead card.
Great advice! I just repasted my EVGA 3080 and put on Gelid thermal pads to a nice positive improvement.

My brain is in that special loop of getting on the anxiety bandwagon about upgrading to the latest gen or waiting for the 4xxx, 7xxx etc...

But I already fucking did the upgrade in April on a flash sale lol. Come on brain.

As others have noted, I guess they don't need to move these video cards so much after all. Been watching the Sapphire Pulse RX6600 for a friend, newegg had it on ebay for quite awhile for $260 with free shipping and I figured it would get a bit cheaper. Looked now and it's $280 and $10 for shipping. Also doesn't look like they have sold any since raising the price, and not much activity even before the increase.

As noted above, TechSpot posted an article called "Nvidia and AMD Seriously Want to Offload Current-Gen GPUs" linked here: https://www.techspot.com/article/2519-gpu-pricing-update/

Watching all the new RX6600 prices actually increase lately tells me something different then the article above. At least ebay is flooded with mined RX470 through RX580 series cards! Good times! :rolleyes:

Last edited:
All manufacturers...both Nvidia and AMD...are in for a rude awakening on pricing of current generation.
They seem to still want top dollar for almost two year old tech and are sticking to those numbers...despite unfavorable market conditions.
If people hold strong and not buy these products, they'll eventually have no choice but to price them closer to what they should have been originally.
The longer they hold onto those cards, the less value they'll represent...especially with the flood of used GPUs coming in the next few months.
Neither company is going to go broke but they'll have to correct their business practices a bit.
The extreme prices and sheer volume they've already sold, is more than sufficient to offset the volume they still have in warehouses.
At the height of it many Nvidia cards were being sold in some cases...four times the MSRP.
That means they only had to sell one card to gain the profit of four regular sales.

Last edited:
All manufacturers...both Nvidia and AMD...are in for a rude awakening on pricing of current generation.

I think AMD has a much larger advantage over Nvidia, or rather, much smaller disadvantage. First of all, if there are too many video cards, they can just allocate to CPUs. Everyone wants CPUs.

Second, they don't have to compete with themselves the way Nvidia does. I'm sure there are miners flogging AMD cards, but they're small operations, mostly hobby miners. Nvidia was selling cards to miners by the container.

They seem to still want top dollar for almost two year old tech and are sticking to those numbers...despite unfavorable market conditions.
If people hold strong and do not buy these products, they'll eventually have no choice but to price thew closer to what they should have been originally.
The longer they hold onto those cards, the less value they'll represent...especially with the flood of used GPUs coming in the next few months.
Neither company is going to go broke.
The extreme prices and sheer volume they've already sold offset the volume they still have in warehouses.
At the height of it many Nvidia cards were being sold...in some cases....at three times the projected costs.
That means they only had to sell one card to gain the margin of three regular sales.
IF the economy regresses as much as some say then you'll see supply constrict to keep prices up. With wafer and R&D prices skyrocketing you just aren't going to get GPUs cheaply anymore. I think EVGA was the first of soon to be several AIB partners to throw in the towel.

Depends what we mean by cheaply, there is a Radeon 6650xt at 299.99 with a $20 rebate card making it 279.99 if you need something else currently on Newegg.com, that about 112% of an 5700xt, $280 is $241 2019 dollars when the 5700xt released for $400

Some 6400 are at $149, if we mean the high end will be costly yes, but the range of SKU is quite quite large.

AMD Cuts MSRPs of Radeon RX 6000 Series Graphics Cards

The new price list was finalized on September 15, and is beginning to take effect in popular online retailers.

https://www.techpowerup.com/299148/amd-cuts-msrps-of-radeon-rx-6000-series-graphics-cards

(US prices before tax!?)

RX 6950 XT = $949
RX 6900 XT = $699
RX 6800 XT = $599
RX 6800 (non-XT) = $549

RX 6750 XT = $419
RX 6700 XT = $379

RX 6650 XT = $299
RX 6600 (non XT) = $239

RX 6500 XT = $169
RX 6400 = $149

AMD Cuts MSRPs of Radeon RX 6000 Series Graphics Cards

The new price list was finalized on September 15, and is beginning to take effect in popular online retailers.

https://www.techpowerup.com/299148/amd-cuts-msrps-of-radeon-rx-6000-series-graphics-cards

(US prices before tax!?)

RX 6950 XT = $949
RX 6900 XT = $699
RX 6800 XT = $599
RX 6800 (non-XT) = $549

RX 6750 XT = $419
RX 6700 XT = $379

RX 6650 XT = $299
RX 6600 (non XT) = $239

RX 6500 XT = $169
RX 6400 = $149
this still sucks. the sweet spot (250) has been pretty stagnant for years now.
RX 580 8GB, (2-3 gen old) still trounces the lower end cards. it launched at $229 (8GB) and $199 (4GB) in 2017.
Current MSRP for 6400 is 159, and the 6500xt is 199.

there has been pretty much no performance movement (unless you count BACKWARDS) on the low end of the stack since 2017 (and probably longer since 580 is rehash of 480).
Nvidia is pulling the same BS too. There is no pressure to push performance down the stack.

RX 580 8GB, (2-3 gen old) still trounces the lower end cards. it launched at $229 (8GB) and $199 (4GB) in 2017.

there has been pretty much no performance movement (unless you count BACKWARDS) on the low end of the stack since 2017 (and probably longer since 580 is rehash of 480).
Nvidia is pulling the same BS too. There is no pressure to push performance down the stack.
Those companies don't want to sell you something cheap that can run games at 4K. Simply a business decision so they don't cannibalize their higher end card sales.

Those companies don't want to sell you something cheap that can run games at 4K. Simply a business decision so they don't cannibalize their higher end card sales.
Why would a company want to invest its limited resources in supplying a low/mid tier where the margins are already slim when it can instead fill that gap with the oversupply of the much more profitable mid/high tier from the previous year?

I mean at $240 the 6600 absolutely smokes the rx 580.

but until recently that card was 329. just sucks they cant launch something better than previous gen at same price point on the lower end of the product stack.
I guess. Idk, I never buy anything at launch anyways. Up until my wife's 5700xt, I always bought used lol.

Still, good prices for now especially compared to what Nvidia still wants.

I personally haven't used an AMD GPU for my personal PC in a VERY long time like 12 years easy. So I am totally open to it as I have a 1080 I would love to upgrade to something good at 1440p but I am stupid out of touch on the AMD offerings at the consumer level so this is a learning experience for me here.

I personally haven't used an AMD GPU for my personal PC in a VERY long time like 12 years easy. So I am totally open to it as I have a 1080 I would love to upgrade to something good at 1440p but I am stupid out of touch on the AMD offerings at the consumer level so this is a learning experience for me here.
That's fair. I have a 50/50 experience ever since my 9800gt. Best AMD card for 1440p would be a 6700xt/6750xt. There's currently a MSI 6700xt on Newegg for $380+ $20 rebate. Amazon has an XFX for $380.

If one doesn't care about raytracing/ whatever non game features on Nvidia this is the best bang for buck for 1440p. Better than the 3060ti at $450 (lol) and can beat/match the 3070 depending on title.

Back