GPU prices — is the worst behind us ?

If you are ready to pay $1,400 USD for a video card, you can buy it right now I think:
https://www.evga.com/products/product.aspx?pn=12G-P5-3967-KR

Or that one:
https://www.evga.com/products/product.aspx?pn=12G-P5-3955-KR

For it to work:
i just logged into the evga online store, selected what i wanted, and checked out.

Require to want something very expensive with not much demand and a bit of luck, but I can see it happen, considering that right now 2 of the 3080Ti Evga are not out of stock.
i accounted for the fact that the high end gpus are (as always) not in as much demand as the mid range in my post. the point is that for a long time even the 3080 tis would go out of stock really fast (especially closer to the FE's price point of $1199). all i'm saying is that it hints at a general relaxing of demand (or slight increase of supply), even if it's not much. don't crucify me for it, jesus christ.

don't crucify me for it, jesus christ.
I think you are misreading here, I responded to the person that called bullshit on your claim by showing that right now there are 2 different 3080TI you can buy directly on the EVGA website, with no bots, no waiting in line.

Repeating exactly your scenario to the person that I am not sure read your message.

Last edited:
I think you are misreading here, I responded to the person that called bullshit on your claim by showing that right now there are 2 different 3080TI you can buy directly on the EVGA website, with no boot, no waiting in line.

Repeating exactly your scenario to the person that I am not sure read your message.
sorry, i misunderstood then. (y)

When did it stop, when did it return ?

View attachment 454324

I think to really talk about video card being made fully to respond to crazy demand like the previous mining boom, we should see 15-16 million unit a quarter like back in the days, 4 millions video card of intel in a short 4-5 months windows would be about the difference between now and the previous peak maybe.

mass-production requires regular sources plus shipments of an entire system to lower prices!

When you have a lot of waste (factory idle while waiting for parts, or parts waiting on more limited shipping channels), then you have higher prices

The semi industry produced record devices, but that was done with poor efficiency (they could have made much more with the same factory floor utilized, pre-pandemic); the fact that costs are falling tells us that they have figured-out how to work around Covid for the first time since it began

Last edited:
AMD card prices are dropping below msrp

AMD Prepares New "Raise The Game" Bundle - Rushing to Counter Falling Card Prices

https://www.anandtech.com/show/1738...cialflow&utm_medium=social&utm_source=twitter

: in the last 2 days alone, the cheapest Radeon RX 6900 XT on Newegg has dropped from $949 to $849, which now puts it a good $150 below AMD’s original MSRP.

AMD Radeon RX 6000 Series Product Stack​
MSRP​
Lowest Retail Price
(Newegg)​
RX 6950 XT
$1099​
$1099​
RX 6900 XT
$999​
$849​
RX 6800 XT
$649​
$799​
RX 6800
$579​
$759​
RX 6750 XT
$549​
$549​
RX 6700 XT
$479​
$484​
RX 6650 XT
$399​
$399​
RX 6600 XT (Retired)
$379​
$399​
RX 6600
$329​
$335​
RX 6500 XT
$199​
$199​
RX 6400
$159​
$169​
And while lower prices are a boon for consumers, they are potentially a real problem for AMD and their partners.

[Bullshit gif]
? You can buy one on stockx right now for less than that, and someone just got one for $1050. I've seen them locally (microcenter) for <$1200 for months (some luck required).
https://stockx.com/nvidia-asus-tuf-...2g-oc-graphics-card-tuf-rtx3080ti-o12g-gaming
https://stockx.com/nvidia-zotac-gaming-geforce-rtx-3080-ti-amp-holo-12g-graphics-card-zt-a30810f-10p

With the 100% LHR unlocks out (3080 12GB and 3050 seem to also be unlocked now) prices should hopefully normalize in accordance with MSRP mostly, so I expect situations like the $800 12 GB 3080 being cheaper than the $850 10GB 3080 on newegg to reverse. 3070TIs and 3080TIs are way better for mining now than previously thought. Also, crypto is tanking pretty hard and is below profitability now for European miners so I'd expect to see prices keep falling for a bit. The stubborn home miners might hold out for a bit and mine at a loss but eventually most will capitulate and ebay their stuff.

AMD Prepares New "Raise The Game" Bundle - Rushing to Counter Falling Card Prices

https://www.anandtech.com/show/1738...cialflow&utm_medium=social&utm_source=twitter

: in the last 2 days alone, the cheapest Radeon RX 6900 XT on Newegg has dropped from $949 to $849, which now puts it a good $150 below AMD’s original MSRP.

MSRP​
Lowest Retail Price
(Newegg)​
RX 6950 XT
$1099​
$1099​
RX 6900 XT
$999​
$849​
RX 6800 XT
$649​
$799​
RX 6800
$579​
$759​
RX 6750 XT
$549​
$549​
RX 6700 XT
$479​
$484​
RX 6650 XT
$399​
$399​
RX 6600 XT (Retired)
$379​
$399​
RX 6600
$329​
$335​
RX 6500 XT
$199​
$199​
RX 6400
$159​
$169​

And while lower prices are a boon for consumers, they are potentially a real problem for AMD and their partners.
I won't shed any tears for AMD AiB. They were the worst price gougers.

Pre-scalping companies are just as bad as individuals who buy at retail and then scalp the product. In both cases they can FOADIAF.

MSRP​
Lowest Retail Price
(Newegg)​
RX 6950 XT
$1099​
$1099​
RX 6900 XT
$999​
$849​
RX 6800 XT
$649​
$799​
RX 6800
$579​
$759​
RX 6750 XT
$549​
$549​
RX 6700 XT
$479​
$484​
RX 6650 XT
$399​
$399​
RX 6600 XT (Retired)
$379​
$399​
RX 6600
$329​
$335​
RX 6500 XT
$199​
$199​
RX 6400
$159​
$169​

the *50XTs were introduced so they made price adjustments, tis normal.

? You can buy one on stockx right now for less than that, and someone just got one for $1050. I've seen them locally (microcenter) for <$1200 for months (some luck required).
https://stockx.com/nvidia-asus-tuf-...2g-oc-graphics-card-tuf-rtx3080ti-o12g-gaming
https://stockx.com/nvidia-zotac-gaming-geforce-rtx-3080-ti-amp-holo-12g-graphics-card-zt-a30810f-10p

With the 100% LHR unlocks out (3080 12GB and 3050 seem to also be unlocked now) prices should hopefully normalize in accordance with MSRP mostly, so I expect situations like the $800 12 GB 3080 being cheaper than the $850 10GB 3080 on newegg to reverse. 3070TIs and 3080TIs are way better for mining now than previously thought. Also, crypto is tanking pretty hard and is below profitability now for European miners so I'd expect to see prices keep falling for a bit. The stubborn home miners might hold out for a bit and mine at a loss but eventually most will capitulate and ebay their stuff.
That's good to hear, but last I checked Asus still operates in Russia, which is a no buy for me.

From what I've seen in the past, Nvidia has a tendency to replace GPUs rather than lower the price. (I don't know if it's inflation implying the price would be lower because it's "old tech".)

From what I've seen in the past, Nvidia has a tendency to replace GPUs rather than lower the price. (I don't know if it's inflation implying the price would be lower because it's "old tech".)
So many second-hand cards flooding the market I would not be surprised if AMD and Nvidia are both going to hold back their new hardware launches, not delay them but cut them down in size to create artificial scarcity.

So many second-hand cards flooding the market I would not be surprised if AMD and Nvidia are both going to hold back their new hardware launches, not delay them but cut them down in size to create artificial scarcity.
New hardware will be only the top end and a different product tier than second hand cards, I feel what you describe is already fully captured in the official launch schedule plans.

Street price of AMD's RX 6600 cheaper than Nvidia's RTX 3050 in Germany.

How many saw that coming ?

AMD Radeon & NVIDIA GeForce Graphics Card Prices Are Back To Normal & Below MSRP In Some Regions As GPU Mining Days End​

https://wccftech.com/amd-radeon-nvi...n-some-regions-as-gpu-mining-days-end/?beta=1

I wonder if the mining benefits of 3050 are keeping its price in the same league as RX6600 RX6600 XT 🤔
Its RT capabilities are modest and only benefit over a 6600/6600XT is DLSS

a current listing (Best Buy link) for an XFX Radeon RX 6600 XT for the same $359.99 as this MSI RTX 3050. It does more than just complicate things when you consider that, depending on the vendor and card version, an AMD Radeon RX 6600 XT can be found for close to the same price of the RTX 3050 these days. Ouch! I assume that prices will eventually become more balanced, but as of this writing an RTX 3050 starts at $329, with the reviewed MSI card at $359, and an RX 6600 XT starting at $359.

https://pcper.com/2022/06/msi-gefor...review/?utm_source=dlvr.it&utm_medium=twitter

After looking at the results it only makes sense to spend the additional $20 – $30 to realize such significant gains based on current Newegg pricing, and it makes even more sense to snag that RX 6600 XT while it’s on sale for $359 (or wait for the prices to drop even further).

it depends o whether the upcoming generation happens at the same time as a massive GPU selloff (if they still have stock, they will have to liquidate it like the Pascal->Turing transition)

In the meantime,anyone comparing MSRP of major retailers rtx 3050s to AMD rx 6600 xts is forgetting the fact you can buy this anytime (been in-stock for nearly a month now):

https://www.evga.com/products/product.aspx?pn=08G-P5-3551-KR

The rest of the industry is propping-up high prices from their Chinese suppliers still in lock-down, but there seem to be plenty in-stock most places.

All it would take is a transition to proof-of-stake by the end of the year, and suddenly they will have tons of unsold 3050s!

Last edited:
it depends o whether the upcoming generation happens at the same time as a massive GPU selloff (if they still have stock, they will have to liquidate it like the Pascal->Turing transition)

In the meantime,anyone comparing MSRP of major retailers rtx 3050s to AMD rx 6600 xts is forgetting the fact you can buy this anytime (been in-stock for nearly a month now):

https://www.evga.com/products/product.aspx?pn=08G-P5-3551-KR

The rest of the industry is propping-up high prices from their Chinese suppliers still in lock-down, but there seem to be plenty in-stock most places.

All it would take is a transition to proof-of-stake by the end of the year, and suddenly they will have tons of unsold 3050s!

Mining has zero effect on the price or availability of the 3050. It was never profitable to mine with even at the height of mining.

Mining has zero effect on the price or availability of the 3050. It was never profitable to mine with even at the height of mining.
It’s not nearly that simple. If the 3050 is one of the more powerful cards available that is NOT being snagged by miners, it creates a demand for it that would otherwise not be there since everything else is being picked up by miners. Affecting both price and availability.

Gigabyte RTX 3070 for $600:

Right here.

There are other models and other versions from different AIBs but this is the cheapest one overall. Maybe the cooler isn't as good but I'm assuming it is still decent enough. Still more than I paid for my EVGA one 15 months ago but the price is getting reasonable. If you need a GPU now, might not be a bad option.

Checked Newegg and the my RTX 2060 is back at the price that I paid for it back in 2019. Is that progress? lol
What's your definition of progress? Having your equipment becoming less valuable over time? I mean how many have cursed/moaned/etc when they bought a piece of computer equipment (or anything for that matter) and a month later it drops in price? It's a neat little window into the "supply/demand" argument of economy, what you're seeing now is the trickling off and businesses still trying to get top dollar but if the demand isn't there then price will drop.

Right here.

There are other models and other versions from different AIBs but this is the cheapest one overall. Maybe the cooler isn't as good but I'm assuming it is still decent enough. Still more than I paid for my EVGA one 15 months ago but the price is getting reasonable. If you need a GPU now, might not be a bad option.
It looks like a variation on their RTX 3070 Eagle from when the series was new. I liked mine a lot before I sold it here on [H] a few months back, for the simple reason that for my use cases I couldn't argue it was better enough than my spare GTX 1080 Ti to justify not pocketing $650 when that was still possible. It'll treat you right.

Right here.

Quoting myself. Use this coupon for an additional $50 off. That is $550 shipped before tax:

VGAGBET246​

Used GPU Prices Fall by up to 50% in Recent Months as Mining Stops​

https://www.tomshardware.com/news/mining-dead-used-gpu-prices-down-50-percent

According to a report by Bloomberg this morning, the cryptocurrency mining industry is dying at a rapid pace. With many of the world's major cryptocurrencies, such as Bitcoin and Ethereum, crashing, mining is no longer a sustainable form of income for many people. As a result, miners are selling off the best GPUs in droves, causing GPU prices on the second-hand market to plummet as much as 50% in recent months. (Bloomberg's data starts at the end of May) .

Nvidia's response
👇
The consumer electronics market is slowing down rapidly. The interest in new TVs, mobile phones and PCS and has declined as quickly as pandemic has ‘ended’ and inflation struck global markets.

Both AMD and NVIDIA are revising their TSMC orders, reports DigiTimes. The website citing their industry sources claims that Apple, AMD and NVIDIA all wish to change their orders. AMD reportedly wants to lower its 7/6nm wafer orders while NVIDIA is now facing a problem of over saturated GPU market and possibly lower demand for next-gen GPUs.

NVIDIA now has a large stock of GeForce RTX 30 graphics cards for sale, yet the company is now willing to lower the price just yet. This is despite the second-hand market now being inflated by mining cards which are no longer profitable to use and keep. There are simply too many cards now, which paints a grim outlook for RTX 40 demand

www.videocardz.com

Nvidia being Nvidia. Smart bidness moves I suppose but shades of 2018's crash again.

https://twitter.com/i/web/status/1542733213730508800

Screenshot 2022-07-01 at 14-20-08 RetiredEngineer® on Twitter.png

For anyone shopping right now I recommend carefully comparing the prices across models. For instance, I just checked and a 3070 FE is available at Bestbuy for $500 but could find no 3060 ti models below $500. Obviously the 3070 is a better GPU.

For anyone shopping right now I recommend carefully comparing the prices across models. For instance, I just checked and a 3070 FE is available at Bestbuy for $500 but could find no 3060 ti models below $500. Obviously the 3070 is a better GPU.
Yeah, I like the price charts too on pcpartpicker. You can actually see how quickly some prices started to dive. I think some prices like for the 3050 can go down even more, I mean $330 US instead of $250 MSRP? Whoa, give me a break.

I have no plans to upgrade from my 3080. It pushes my 100Hz gsync 3440x1440 display just fine. I'll wait a bit and see what happens. I'm simply not willing to pay the price anymore. Sell me a 4080 for $800 and we'll talk.

Unless prices get really low I'm not replacing my 3080 either. Good enough for 4k60; and with my baseline system (i7-4790k) due for replacement at the end of the year and my wanting to get a newer laptop so I can figure out how to handle W11 issues prior to upgrading my main system neither a new GPU nor a 4k144 monitor are really in this years budget.

As someone who runs his cards 24/7 for science, the overall power numbers are also a concern. Based on the reported values for those, if I do upgrade this generation; it'll probably only be to a 4070.

CPU isn't bottle necking the GPU?
CPU probably is. Which is why I'm planing to replace it soonish. (Waiting for AMDs next gen chips and new socket; after a long period of stagnation it looks like a 2-3 year later CPU upgrade might be worthwhile again so I want to leave the opportunity open.)

CPU probably is. Which is why I'm planing to replace it soonish. (Waiting for AMDs next gen chips and new socket; after a long period of stagnation it looks like a 2-3 year later CPU upgrade might be worthwhile again so I want to leave the opportunity open.)

Not sure how accurate the "pc build bottleneck calculator" is.. but this doesn't seem like that is too horrible of a bottleneck.. I thought it would be higher.. but I did input 1440p for this setup.. (1080p is nearly a 50% bottleneck)

1657803671989.png

Not sure how accurate the "pc build bottleneck calculator" is.. but this doesn't seem like that is too horrible of a bottleneck.. I thought it would be higher.. but I did input 1440p for this setup.. (1080p is nearly a 50% bottleneck)

at 4k it says only 5%. OTOH I've got non-gaming workloads that would love having maybe 5x the available CPU power.

Back