GPU prices — is the worst behind us ?

I don't think that's what he was saying at all.

When a lot of this started people said things like "don't like these prices? Well you don't have to be a gamer. It's a luxury," when it's more than that, and not a luxury.

Now we're on the cusp of a series of international economic issues that are poised to permanently damage PC gaming, PC building, and PC ownership in general. So maybe we shouldn't act like this is just prices going up on a luxury, but address some of the larger underlying problems that will expand well beyond how much money it takes to play Call of Duty.

Except prices have been steadily going up before that. Even back before the original "ROG" back in the AM2 days there were blinged out gamer cards that cost more than other cards just because the PCB was a different color, the heatsink was a different color or silly thing had LEDs. Then shit went bonkers and it went bonkers because people bought it. The entire community spent years agreeing to pay higher and higher prices and then boasting pictures of how proud they were of it, they voted with their wallets and then here we are. Don't blame companies for realizing who their customers were.

Prices won't come back down because they should not. Prices are going to keep going up. We've proven we want more expensives mobos and gpus and they should make them more epensive. We long ago proved we want more expensive CPUs with FX and Extreme editions and those prices should go up as well. We voted for it, we get to eat it.

When this shipping and manufacturing glut ends, the affordable PC should be an IGP based system on a non OC board. That's already where it was heading before.
I agree with this, I've lost almost all interest since I can't have what I want and it's ridiculously overpriced. It's now time to put down the keyboard and mouse and look at other things like getting on the bike and enjoying the outdoors.

Funny you bring this up but I cycle as well. Good ones cost four or five figures. Cycling is also having a parts shortage. That's not going away either. It's junkers or high end there now.

...how proud they were of it.....the affordable PC should be an IGP based system on a non OC board. That's already where it was heading before.
e-peen.
like the walmart specials that have been around forever?! the is the real "mainstream" pc.

Prices won't come back down because they should not. Prices are going to keep going up.

I don't know what to say if you think this is caused by gamers willing to spend money. Some are. Some are holding out, or moving on.

And ultimately prices are up for a couple of reasons: global currency inflation, and component manufacturers basing next-gen pricing compared directly to current-gen performance. That is completely out of gamers' hands. It used to be that as a newer generation displaced an older generation, the older hardware would lose value and the newer hardware would replace it at similar price points. Due to the shortages, this happens.

Supply chain problems make this happen. Inflation makes this happen. Bailouts make this happen. But these are outside factors that can be addressed, and must be addressed, or it's not gaming that will suffer, it will be entire industries and economies. We're already seeing it dump into other markets. But if we're careful, we can reverse this trend.

On a longer timeline, PCs have gotten cheaper as they become more common, and necessary. A basic PC in 1990 was about $2,000. Fancy would run up to $4,000. Not even adjusted for inflation, that's way more expensive than comparable PCs today.

And GPU prices are dropping. We'll see more of it, and either Nvidia will buckle and start competing on the value front, or Intel will. Either way, we're not on this track for good. And Intel will sell GPUs at a loss if they have to in order to recapture market share. Losing money to hold or take market share is a primary Intel strategy.

I don't care anymore. I was holding out for a while, but I couldn't take it and I blew $1,500 on a GPU from eBay.

At first I felt kind of bad, but I got to build my new computer and I am 100% happy with it. Not gonna let market forces dictate my life. You only live once.

I agree with this, I've lost almost all interest since I can't have what I want and it's ridiculously overpriced. It's now time to put down the keyboard and mouse and look at other things like getting on the bike and enjoying the outdoors.
That's exacrly what I did. Many other hobbies to enjoy life. Not ball & chained to a single one.

Reactions: Epos7
like this
I don't care anymore. I was holding out for a while, but I couldn't take it and I blew $1,500 on a GPU from eBay.

At first I felt kind of bad, but I got to build my new computer and I am 100% happy with it. Not gonna let market forces dictate my life. You only live once.
At the same time I agree with this also. I bought a 2080ti Seahawk EK-X when it was released for 1200 & everyone told me it was a mistake and wait etc..... look who's laughing now LOL with performance landing in between the 3070 & 3080 I can completely skip the 3000 series cards all together & not worry about any of this nonsense for another few years. So that would be 4-5 years of awesome performance and enjoying it every day. Worth every penny and would do it again!

I don't think that's what he was saying at all.

When a lot of this started people said things like "don't like these prices? Well you don't have to be a gamer. It's a luxury," when it's more than that, and not a luxury.
Bingo, hit the nail on the head, rang the bell (I can't think if any more at the moment)

Reactions: Axman
like this

At first I felt kind of bad ...
LOL I've heard of guilt by association but not guilt by GPU purchase :p :) ;)

Last edited:
I was looking at Radeon 6800 XT prices on eBay, and I noticed someone paid $161 for an *Nvidia* 6800 XT. LOL, people desperate.

1628121561007.png

I was looking at Radeon 6800 XT prices on eBay, and I noticed someone paid $161 for an *Nvidia* 6800 XT. LOL, people desperate.

View attachment 381648
I think I paid 199 dollars for my original PNY AGP 6800 256 MB at CompUSA back when they came out. It was quite a nice upgrade from my Geforce 3 (original non Ti model) that was $299 when I got it lol. The fan on the GF3 died so I bought a cheapo quadro and did a heatsink swap on it lol.

Last edited:
6700xt, 6800, 6800xt, 6900xt's are also coming in stock. They might be twice the original msrp... but at least you can buy them at vendors with actual warranty.

3080 ti's are next. I also see a few 3090's.

I want one of the rx6800xt's that are water cooled but I won't pay 1350 for it. I could also do a 3080/3080ti but at the current oem 3080ti's, that's going to be awhile, lol.

From Toms Hardware review of the 6600 XT

If you can't find a graphics card upgrade at a price you're willing to pay, just keep waiting, and maybe lower your resolution and detail settings in the meantime. The best way to get prices to come down is for PC gamers to simply refuse to pay the current high asking prices. Which obviously isn't working, because some people are apparently willing to do so. Are those people miners, gamers with deep pockets, or just impatient people? Yes. Yes, they are. Unfortunately, boycotts only work if a sufficient number of people are willing to abstain.

Also this card might be in stock at $500 ...
Despite the massive cut in memory bandwidth, the RX 6600 XT ends up tied with the old GTX 1080 Ti, and it uses about two-thirds as much power while doing so. It also nearly ties the Radeon VII and outperforms the RTX 3060 and RTX 2070 — at least in games that only use rasterization. So how much should a card like that cost in the latter part of 2021? Considering the old GTX 1080 Ti still sells, used, for $500 or more on eBay, with an average price of $575 over the past month, people will obviously be willing to pay a lot more than $300 or even $380 for a brand new RX 6600 XT.

https://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/amd-radeon-rx-6600-xt-review/6

EDIT:
the 5700 XT can do around 55 MH/s after tuning and optimizing performance. As a result, average prices for sold listings on eBay are around $800 for the RX 5700 XT. With only 30 MH/s, miners would likely only pay around $500 or less for the RX 6600 XT.

https://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/amd-radeon-rx-6600-xt-review/5

worst behind us? not yet...

I would say it is the first step to scaling the mountain

RTX 2080 rasterization performance & RTX 2060 ray tracing performance for a street price between $500 to $700

(But strictly for 1080p monitors. More of a 2060 replacement than a 2080 replacement )

I don't know, I thought those scores looked okay. Especially for people on a 1060 or 580, or something, it would be meaningful upgrade.

I don't know, I thought those scores looked okay. Especially for people on a 1060 or 580, or something, it would be meaningful upgrade.
we'll have to wait(im lookin) for someone to compare to older gens. i thought the 5700 should have been in this one, figure its about the level the 6600 is.

we'll have to wait(im lookin) for someone to compare to older gens. i thought the 5700 should have been in this one, figure its about the level the 6600 is.
The 6600 beats the 5700 at 1080p
Roughly same at 1440p
Inferior in 4k (if you game at 4k low settings similar to consoles)

I feel like it's necessary to point out that $200 had a good run, but $200 won't buy $200's worth of anything anymore.
That’s not entirely accurate. $200 will buy like $300 worth of hotel stays and like $400 worth of trans Atlantic flights.

like this
Also, clothing hasn't really changed cost. Got a Cyberpunk 2077 shirt at GameStop for $15.

And some tech has gotten cheaper. You can get some nice high refresh monitors for under $200, or like budget tablets for $100.

It's just that PC gaming has become this luxury thing, for better or worse. I mean, I remember when you could build a rig for $500. Those days are long gone and never coming back.

Also, clothing hasn't really changed cost. Got a Cyberpunk 2077 shirt at GameStop for $15.

And some tech has gotten cheaper. You can get some nice high refresh monitors for under $200, or like budget tablets for $100.

It's just that PC gaming has become this luxury thing, for better or worse. I mean, I remember when you could build a rig for $500. Those days are long gone and never coming back.
I just saw my first sale on Ryzen 5600Xs at microcenter for 50 under msrp last weekend, and that is before combo pricing. Not that you could realistically build for under 500 right this second, but it’s coming back. If crypto would just finally die in a fire, it would be right back to value video cards too.

I feel like it's necessary to point out that $200 had a good run, but $200 won't buy $200's worth of anything anymore.
the $200 price point has always been the mid-range segment, historically....from the early 2000's...2010's and through recently.... a good run indeed..
Unfortunately the new normal is here 🤣

$200 mid-range is DEAD 😥
As long as there is a shortage of silicon companies have no motivation to use some of their precious resources on a card that doesn't have as much ROI

I see $200 coming back out, but they're not going to make a "26 series" card as long as they have limited resources and demand is still sky high for what they do put out.

Unfortunately the new normal is here 🤣

Well, no, I'm saying this is the old normal.

In 2003, 2004, in preparation for HL2, I remember budgeting about $800 for all my core components, back when the $200 rule was pretty much set. $800 for core parts, about $200-$300 for everything else, although I probably overshot it, if memory serves.

Back then, $1,000 was all I could save over the course of about three months, eating nothing and bicycling to work. I was both tan and cut. I spent hours toiling over every part and each performance tradeoff.

But now, $1,000, while it's not chump change, man, since then I've impulse-purchased larger items, and shrugged off bills twice that size and then some.

This is the same as people complaining about video games costing more than $60. It's a price point that only has a specific context in memory, not reality. You might as well expect an $0.49-cent pack of Starbursts to be the same size as they were 20 years ago. It's not going to happen.

But the reverse is also true, and that's that this is no normal anything. Prices are high and commanding, and we should fight them any way possible, since there is no measurable depreciation of previous-generation hardware. That's not right. It's not in line with inflation, either. It's not even in line with how much money can be made mining to offset the inflated pricing.

If anyone folds and laughs, they better be the Comedian, because this is serious for everyone else.

I actually support the $70 price for next-gen games. When you account for inflation (or even if not in some cases) games were more expensive in the 90's. And they cost far less to make in terms of budget and time investment.

People just get stuck on like a AAA game should always cost $60, that argument just doesn't make sense. I mean, back in the 90's, I could get a two cheeseburger meal at McDonald's for $1.99. People are going to claim it should always cost $1.99 just cause?

I actually support the $70 price for next-gen games.

I pretty much agree. Back in the '90s, we were looking at games that cost $50, $60 dollars, but they had considerable high production costs per buyer. As gamers grew in numbers, we could spread out those costs on the other side, by making cheaper games affordable. By the mid '90s, a lot of games were in the $50-$60-dollar range, but in just a few years, $40 was the high-end.

We're on the outside of the same thing today, but on two fronts. Games are getting to all the gamers there are, and gaming hardware is, too. We gotta face some new prices, they're not normal, and they were in the making for a decade straight.

Simultaneously, we gotta push back on "new normal" thinking, because that's divisive, exclusionary, and callow.

That’s not entirely accurate. $200 will buy like $300 worth of hotel stays and like $400 worth of trans Atlantic flights.
I wish but that wasn't the case last time I looked, at least to anywhere I'd want to go. Flights to Greece, Spain, Canary Islands, as well as Azores and several other Portuguese Islands were triple to quadruple what they normally are. Greece is of course on fire right now too so there might be some deals but it wasn't at the time.

There are plenty of deals worldwide on hotels but that's kind of the flip side to supply issues right now on electronics due to the pandemic, lots of hotel capacity available right now because hotels can't suddenly become smaller but airlines are running at a reduced capacity and actually driving up prices in some cases.

GPU prices have been affected by the triple whammy of supply issues, increased gamer demand, as well as crypto. I don't think any of those have been solved but I do think they've all softened some so hopefully prices will start to drop down a bit over time. Unfortunately even with some luck supply and prices will likely stabilize about the same time that hype for the next gen starts to build up.

Sorry, westerns aren't my thing. But I heard Red Dead was really good.

It isn't really a western since it doesn't take place in the west, and isn't styled after a western. Well, not RDR2 at least. I know the first one was but RDR2 wasn't.

I wish but that wasn't the case last time I looked, at least to anywhere I'd want to go. Flights to Greece, Spain, Canary Islands, as well as Azores and several other Portuguese Islands were triple to quadruple what they normally are. Greece is of course on fire right now too so there might be some deals but it wasn't at the time.

There are plenty of deals worldwide on hotels but that's kind of the flip side to supply issues right now on electronics due to the pandemic, lots of hotel capacity available right now because hotels can't suddenly become smaller but airlines are running at a reduced capacity and actually driving up prices in some cases.

GPU prices have been affected by the triple whammy of supply issues, increased gamer demand, as well as crypto. I don't think any of those have been solved but I do think they've all softened some so hopefully prices will start to drop down a bit over time. Unfortunately even with some luck supply and prices will likely stabilize about the same time that hype for the next gen starts to build up.
We flew to see family in the states in June for 59/person on southwest, and those flights used to be ~129. The hotel was also so crazy cheap we couldn’t believe it. My wife has been watching flights to Ireland to see extended family, and those are running about 1/3 of what they were when we were looking in mid 2019 to travel spring 2020. I suppose each destination is different.

on the GPU front, I think the ~$150 card is basically replaced by the APU. You can get a 5700G now and basically handle all the esports, the old console ports, most of the back catalog, etc fine at 1080p.

I think I paid 199 dollars for my original PNY AGP 6800 256 MB at CompUSA back when they came out. It was quite a nice upgrade from my Geforce 3 (original non Ti model) that was $299 when I got it lol. The fan on the GF3 died so I bought a cheapo quadro and did a heatsink swap on it lol.
Same, I think the vanilla 6800 was around $200 if I recall. Even better, I'm guessing you were able to unmask the shaders to effectively make it a 6800 GT?

I actually support the $70 price for next-gen games.

Heh, "complete" games have been $80-100 for 5+ years now. The $60 price is for the base game and then you add in the season pass/dlc packs where they often discount it $10 or more to get you to pay them $70-90 for a game on release.

Anyway, the 6600XT is just another indicator things aren't changing for awhile, price wise.

like this
on the GPU front, I think the ~$150 card is basically replaced by the APU. You can get a 5700G now and basically handle all the esports, the old console ports, most of the back catalog, etc fine at 1080p.
Endgame hit the nail on the head. If your budget is around $200 for your GPU, get an APU or buy a used 980Ti.

It isn't really a western since it doesn't take place in the west, and isn't styled after a western. Well, not RDR2 at least. I know the first one was but RDR2 wasn't.

I just played the beginning, but it felt quite the western to me, with the classic western theme of exploring the frontier of the law state world to the one in which it is just new or yet to arrive, and did seem to take place in the west (in the context it tend to mean west of the state frontier).

It is also quite style has a western, if you watch Hateful height it will look quite a bit like read dead 2 or John Ford The Searchers (the usual #1 western of all time in western list):

searchers-snow.jpg

On a longer timeline, PCs have gotten cheaper as they become more common, and necessary. A basic PC in 1990 was about $2,000. Fancy would run up to $4,000. Not even adjusted for inflation, that's way more expensive than comparable PCs today.

And GPU prices are dropping. We'll see more of it, and either Nvidia will buckle and start competing on the value front, or Intel will. Either way, we're not on this track for good. And Intel will sell GPUs at a loss if they have to in order to recapture market share. Losing money to hold or take market share is a primary Intel strategy.

next time I start thinking GPU prices are stupid high (because they are) I'll just glance at this receipt from Dubai

Image1.jpg

Back