GPU prices — is the worst behind us ?

I saw prices for all major targets P, X and RTX creep up this week fwiw...may be Covid resurgence is playing a part? Hard to believe we are over 10 months into this 'season'...
could be, could also be business decisions that look after the desires of the shareholders more so than that of potential customers too.

E7gXMoPXoAUAWLF.png

https://twitter.com/Kepler_L2/status/1420911318920581123?s=20

This actually looks like a somewhat decent deal to me. As others noted, custom hard tubing and everything pretty much in place, just need to put your own CPU in. I'm assuming that part of the price is the custom water block on the GPU. On the other hand the MSRP of the 3080 is $699 apparently so you're paying roughly $1200 for the mobo, case, custom water loop, CPU block, GPU block (or does this have one? I don't know if only the CPU is water cooled, if so that kind of sucks), and PSU.

So let's break that down.

- Motherboard is 330$ right now on Amazon. $870 left.
- Someone quoted the price of the water loop at about $400. $470 left to account for.
- Case... is hard to put a price on. Let's say it's a higher end case in the $150 range, just looking at it visually. $320 left
- PSU is about $120 on Microcenter. I don't know if it's worth that much but $200 left

$200 for labor on a custom loop and assembly is somewhat reasonable. This is actually kind of smart, because a system like this is an easier way to avoid miners. They wouldn't want all of this nonsense and the system would be harder to sell off like this, but gamers get overcharged at most about $100-200 on the price of the system. Supposing that water cooling quote was actually accurate; I'm a little dubious about it.
The MSRP for the evga ftw 3 is almost $900. People need to get off the Nvidia/AMD MSRP crap. Case is $160 at MC with no fans. You you got to add another $100ish for quality fans.

I saw prices for all major targets P, X and RTX creep up this week fwiw...may be Covid resurgence is playing a part? Hard to believe we are over 10 months into this 'season'...
Prices are going up and up for raw materials and memory prices keep spiking up.

That is their MSRP. AiBs are not bound to it.
Where not talking about AiB's here. Everyone already knows theyre always overpriced. Well atleast I was, AiB's aren't Nvidia and AMD.

When they make their presentation and announce MSRP pricing, they sets the price in everyone's head of what they can expect to pay. They should stop doing it.

Where not talking about AiB's here. Everyone already knows theyre always overpriced. Well atleast I was, AiB's aren't Nvidia and AMD.

When they make their presentation and announce MSRP pricing, they sets the price in everyone's head of what they can expect to pay. They should stop doing it.
Nvidia and AMD haven't changed their prices. Everyone that gets pissy about AiB prices aways bring up Nvidia/AMD MSRP.

Pepperidge Farm remembers a time when the AIB markup was $30-50 instead of $300-500.

image.png

They need to dump the aibs then and sell all the cards themselves, the difference in prices is insane.

I mean I went from a 3570k to a 5950x...

But I upgrade GPUs every 4 years

But im on a GT 1030 cause I sold my 2070 last August 🙃🔫
There was a distinct point in which upgrading GPUs no longer delivered dramatically better visuals, instead simply increasing fps at almost identical settings. Looking back at my gaming evolution from early 80s to present day, a lot of us are in that golden videogame generation that got to see graphics leap ahead in dramatic iterations every few years. For a kid coming into gaming today, is there even a dramatic wow factor that would deliver similar impressions from the jump of 8 bit to 16 bit to 32 bit 3d?

For me, the moment when a new graphics card simply meant slightly higher fps at the same settings was when I got 2 7900gtx's for bf2. Yeah there was a little more umph, but rationally the game looked the same despite the better part of a thousand dollars parting ways with my bank account.

is there even a dramatic wow factor that would deliver similar impressions from the jump of 8 bit to 16 bit to 32 bit 3d?
Maybe not the huge jump as in the old days, but play Metro Exodus with full 4K HDR Ray-Tracing and it will blow you away.

Maybe not the huge jump as in the old days, but play Metro Exodus with full 4K HDR Ray-Tracing and it will blow you away.

Yeah, it seems like the big jumps follow Direct X revisions, but this generation both AMD and Nvidia are pushing things forward.

Well, looks like the rumor mill was close this time. $400 was predicted a couple of weeks ago. $380, it better beat my 2060 Super that is 1.5 years old let alone a 5700XT that beat that and was around $375-430 in late 2019.

Lol comparing today's prices to two years ago.

The last GPU maker that tried that went bankrupt because of it I believe.
Well let amd or nvidia go bankrupt then. Alternatively, they can exit the retail card business entirely and let the aibs price them, that way they don't get the bad press of impossible msrps. Right now we're pissed at both of them, with nowhere to turn. Mark my words, they will never make this mistake again. MSRPS for their next generations will start off high like nvidia's 2k series and only go up from here. The market has shown they are willing to pay these insane prices.

They could make a fair queue system, like Valve did on the Deck. Only allow users with existing account history, limit by email/credit card/mailing address/etc. Put Captcha on the cart.

It is not rocket science, and would eliminate most of the bot purchases. But everyone in the chain is still making their money, eBay probably getting some nice fees on scalped cards, etc. It is just gamers that are getting wrecked.

Even though I don't believe in high prices, I think it results in better availability. At "fair" prices, they might be out-of-stock for longer periods of time.
i guess. yesterday was the first time i saw any 6000 or 3000 series gpus on a shelf. they were all $1K CAN+. most people dont want to drop that kind of money on a gpu, so they sit.

They could make a fair queue system, like Valve did on the Deck. Only allow users with existing account history, limit by email/credit card/mailing address/etc. Put Captcha on the cart.

It is not rocket science, and would eliminate most of the bot purchases. But everyone in the chain is still making their money, eBay probably getting some nice fees on scalped cards, etc. It is just gamers that are getting wrecked.

Eventually the market will saturate, unless there is large and unknown contingent of GPUs being bought by some boogeyman like the CCP, or the CIA, or the KGB, or a drug cartel, or a terrorist organization, or who the hell knows...

Mate if you already bought a 1500 dollar gpu, taco doubt you'll be looking for an upgrade for another 2,000dollar gpu with 30% performance increase.

The people that do that are the only ones who buy the $1500 GPUs in the first place. Everyone knows that you pay top dollar for the last few percentage points of performance. If you were content with a card that was 70% as good as a $1500 card, you could get one for $600-700 (3090 vs. 3070Ti or 6800XT).

Even though I don't believe in high prices, I think it results in better availability. At "fair" prices, they might be out-of-stock for longer periods of time.
Meh, either way it's the same result to people like me. No card, because if they don't have it... obviously I can't get it, and if they're too expensive, then I'm not going to buy it just so I can have it.

I wouldn't mind higher prices if the source of them was the primary market that releases them, then you just shrug your shoulders and go "fuck it, I guess that's what it costs these days, I'm out". When it's the secondary (aka scalper) market, that's a hard one to swallow

Meh, either way it's the same result to people like me. No card, because if they don't have it... obviously I can't get it, and if they're too expensive, then I'm not going to buy it just so I can have it.

I wouldn't mind higher prices if the source of them was the primary market that releases them, then you just shrug your shoulders and go "fuck it, I guess that's what it costs these days, I'm out". When it's the secondary (aka scalper) market, that's a hard one to swallow

Judging by the prices of motherboards, power supplies, RAM, used cars, stereo equipment, sirloin steaks, and apartments, it's starting to feel like things will never go "back to normal."

We pumped a lot of money into the economy. This is largely the new normal.
More like pump and dump... :whistle:

Fact is the dollar is being devalued by"just print some more money" policies so this very well could be the new normal.
As anyone who understand basic economics, printing more money doesn't make the whole pie bigger, it just makes each slice of the pie that much smaller.

There was a distinct point in which upgrading GPUs no longer delivered dramatically better visuals, instead simply increasing fps at almost identical settings. Looking back at my gaming evolution from early 80s to present day, a lot of us are in that golden videogame generation that got to see graphics leap ahead in dramatic iterations every few years. For a kid coming into gaming today, is there even a dramatic wow factor that would deliver similar impressions from the jump of 8 bit to 16 bit to 32 bit 3d?

For me, the moment when a new graphics card simply meant slightly higher fps at the same settings was when I got 2 7900gtx's for bf2. Yeah there was a little more umph, but rationally the game looked the same despite the better part of a thousand dollars parting ways with my bank account.

Agreed, hasn't been a huge step-up in graphical fidelity for ages, just minor iterations. The first time I was wowed was when seeing Wolfenstein 3D as a small kid (yes don't ask about the age pls :p) on my aunt's place (her BF was a comp nerd) and (shortly after) Duke Nukem 3D at a friend's place haha. Or well it was also the feature set and maps I suppose like being able to take a piss in the toilet and go into a movie teather amongs other things seemed mind-blowing at the time.

Haven't been blown away since the original Crysis (or the alpha footage stuff before launch). What is also a bit sad is take for example Far Cry series that were a lot into the technological aspects of their engine early on with Far Cry 1 and 2 (remember seeing presentations of how fire would spread and how you could shoot invidual branches down on trees and how the dynamic weather works like etc) but ever since it's not really in the focus and it's more of a "make sure it runs great on majority of systems optimization" and reiterate the same old sand-box like type shooter game.

EDIT: Well to be fair I'm somewhat impressed by the stuff Star Citizen does in how it is able to render such a huge visible space at a time from like seeing the planet atmosphere unfold as you travel near the planet n stuff. The upcoming stuff from Unreal Engine is also a welcomed technological step forward, somewhat minor but still a great leap by today's standards.

Last edited:
Back