GPU prices — is the worst behind us ?

Who cares if "the worst" is behind us? It still sucks. Hopefully the people that were crazy enough to actually buy at these stupid prices have gotten their fill and now the stocks are just sitting around.

Prices are fast to rise, but slow to fall, and I don't think we'll ever see a return to $700 flagship GPU's with the momentum that the past six months have created.

If they don't, I think PC gaming might take quite a hit over time. Not everyone is willing to pay out $400-500+++ just for a serviceable contemporary GPU. It's asinine. Steams sales don't make up for the entry bar being that high, and console gaming is going to take off.

Of course there are plenty of good indie/old games out there that don't even need a GPU, but I guess people like to forget that, or it's just not for them. The psychology of this entire thing is frankly just astounding. Why does everyone suddenly need a great GPU when they're in short demand? Your 1080 and above is perfectly serviceable for many resolutions and settings. Buying anything at the current prices isn't helping anyone...

The entire market is cooling off, used GPUs are said to be appearing for prices near MSRP. Overall, the GPU market appears to be moving back towards something like normalcy.

https://www.extremetech.com/computing/324393-bitcoin-and-ethereum-both-show-signs-of-cooling-off

It may still take 6-12 months for backlogs to clear, however. Most of the PC gamers who would have bought Ampere cards have been stuck not doing so thanks to bad pricing. We’re probably looking at some months of elevated gaming-related demand after prices fall low enough to trigger increased gamer demand in the first place.
If it takes a year, best advice possible is just wait until the 4K series drops. Otherwise you’ll just be paying retail right before performance is eclipsed again.

Of course that was the mindset of those waiting for the 30 series of cards, see how well that kind of advice worked out?

Unless they are rocking something extremely old then they are fine, without ray tracing most games play just fine on older hardware still unless you have to have 4K, then well you made your own bed with that choice. I am rocking a 1080 and have no issues playing games at 1440p with settings cranked up and most gamers are at 1080p which is even easier to run. Only ones upgrading I see are the must have the best bunch and miners, most of the rest of us looked at those prices and said no thanks.

Seems getting a gpu is the new version of “what would you do for a Klondike bar.”

I would say no. Most of the AIBs are still upping their MSRP's. The only one I haven't seen up it yet is EVGA. If you can't get an EVGA 3080ti, as an example, you're paying a bare minimum of $1600+ now. Many are now near/at $2k. This isn't the retailers just jacking up the price, this is what the AIB's are setting the MSRP at now. Used GPU's are still climbing as well. A 2080ti is now $1200-$1300 on eBay.

I still pity the idiots that sold their 2080ti (Or similar) prior to the Ampere launch for like $400.

I don't expect the problem to get any better for the US market as the USD continues to inflate, thus increasing the prices on products from Asia.

I would pay MSRP, or less, what would you do?
What MSRP do you mean? Reference MSRP, original AIB MSRP, adjusted for "tariffs" MSRP, or the recently inflated even more MSRP that most AIBs are charging?

Personally I expected to pay $50-100 more than reference MSRP for a decent custom card, I would be willing to extend that to $150-200 above reference MSRP but beyond that it's just not worth it.

I would say no. Most of the AIBs are still upping their MSRP's. The only one I haven't seen up it yet is EVGA. If you can't get an EVGA 3080ti, as an example, you're paying a bare minimum of $1600+ now. Many are now near/at $2k. This isn't the retailers just jacking up the price, this is what the AIB's are setting the MSRP at now. Used GPU's are still climbing as well. A 2080ti is now $1200-$1300 on eBay.

I still pity the idiots that sold their 2080ti (Or similar) prior to the Ampere launch for like $400.

I don't expect the problem to get any better for the US market as the USD continues to inflate, thus increasing the prices on products from Asia.
Don’t feel bad for them, they mis-timed the whole market situation. Next time maybe they won’t be so greedy 🤗. And yes, the low end is never gonna be the same.

I would pay MSRP, or less, what would you do?
Apparently - not much, since I still have a card from 2017 blowing hot air into the room.

I'd probably pay a little above "MSRP" to get something. But stuff is nuts right now, and I'll just throw a ball to the kids outside until this settles down.

Then I can get right back to ignoring them, as god intended.

Heh, MSRP. Rumors in the last week are that the RX 6600XT will be $399 MSRP, on sale in August.

1626180189563.png

RUMOUR (from Chinese website)

According to the latest news, the delivery of orders for RTX 30 series GPU chips has been delayed again, and the delivery time of various graphics card brands has also been delayed simultaneously , but the specific scale and involved models are temporarily unknown. It seems that the entire RTX 30 series has been affected. .

As for when the large quantities will arrive again, it is expected to wait until the end of July or the beginning of August.

https://news-mydrivers-com.translat...r_tl=en&_x_tr_hl=en-GB&_x_tr_pto=ajax,nv,elem

Via HardwareTimes
https://www.hardwaretimes.com/nvidi...of-ether-crash/amp/?__twitter_impression=true

I am guessing above report is China only...

just checked used card prices on ebay for GTX 1660 Ti and quite a few there (dual fan models) for $450. Just a few weeks ago and months before that nothing could be found there under $500. GTX 970 cards are now under or around $190 so it seems the prices are slowly dropping at least on the GTX 1080p @ 60 Hz cards

The local microcenter has had 6900XTs in stock for 2 or 3 months now, all over 2000, and the liquid red devil is nearly 3000. Guess 2k is more than people want to pay for a 6900. Maybe 1799 will sell?

This card is in stock at memory express in my area selling for 2k Canadian. Well above my "nope" threshold in this current market. They also have a LC AIO Strix model "on sale" for 2499 CDN. Has sat for over a week now.

This card is in stock at memory express in my area selling for 2k Canadian. Well above my "nope" threshold in this current market. They also have a LC AIO Strix model "on sale" for 2499 CDN. Has sat for over a week now.
There were some GTX 1650 available at Canada Computers although sometimes you have to buy online and pick up in store.

Yeah and it isnt even a 6900XT, just a regular 6900 and they want $1800 for it....
I didn't think there was a vanilla 6900, regardless if you look at the box in the corner there's an xt next the 6900. The price is still ridiculous though.

Edit: If you look at the model number on the tag it says xt too.

[/QUOTE]
I didn't think there was a vanilla 6900, regardless if you look at the box in the corner there's an xt next the 6900. The price is still ridiculous though.

Edit: If you look at the model number on the tag it says xt too.

Yeah it does say below where it just says 6900 on the first line, didnt zoom close enough into the pic to see that. Guess I got to break out the reading glasses in the future.

The local microcenter has had 6900XTs in stock for 2 or 3 months now, all over 2000, and the liquid red devil is nearly 3000. Guess 2k is more than people want to pay for a 6900. Maybe 1799 will sell?
If it were a Fire Liquid Dragon version it would sell at 3k. ;-)

lol and watch them out-of-stock in record time. :ROFLMAO:
We're all sort of whistling past the graveyard about the fact that SOC and APU are going to be the future for anyone who's not throw 10's of thousands at pro system. Get used to it now.

Earlier this month, it seemed GPU prices might fall back to normal more quickly than anticipated. Once China cracked down on cryptocurrency mining, the price of GPUs plunged worldwide. Unfortunately, the decline has stalled out at least in Europe. Things in the United States don’t look much different.

Thanks to 3DCenter.de, who has been keeping an eye on this problem for the last few months and published these results.

AMD-nVidia-Retail-Price-Trend-2021-v4-640x329.png
Image by 3DCenter.de
Nvidia GPU prices have dropped 3 percent but AMD prices have risen 3 percent, so the net change is zero relative to July 4. Other regions haven’t shown the same declines that Germany has, according to 3DCenter, but the drops are stalled out everywhere.

https://www.extremetech.com/gaming/324876-gpu-prices-are-stuck-well-above-msrp

My guess only:

The pricing is being kept up by demand.

Must be quite a few miners or gamers who want to get in for 'cheaper', and when they see that kind of a drop, jumped in on it.

If the AIBs/scalpers notice a demand spike, they can keep the price there a little longer -- just maximizing their profits.

I myself made an inquiry on a local-to-me $860 3070TI the other day, already tax inclusive. Was thinking about jumping in on it, but a 3070TI is overkill for 1080/144.

holy fucking shit, look what i found in stock, in store at best buy this morning

View attachment 376032
AMD cards are not that hard to come by. They are all stupidly over priced. MC had stock of the entire line for 2 months now. When the 6700 been going for $900+ no one is biting. Scalpers can't even make a small profit on them. That said I noticed prices slowly coming down on them over the past couple weeks at my MC.

The new landscape completely sucks if you are a mid-range budget gamer..

The days of Nitro RX 580's for $199 are done and are a distant memory .. luckily I'm not a [H]ardcore gamer and play mostly older titles

The new landscape completely sucks if you are a mid-range budget gamer..

Nah, we're just at a turning point. Between things like AMD APUs, FSR, and Nvidia+Arm, and crazy next-generation discrete graphics around the corner, we're going to see a lot of lower minimum requirements, with a lot more fine or granular control, so that games can run on a very wide range of hardware.

I also suspect we're approaching another standards plateau. But we're not quite there yet, and it won't be as long and stable as 4c/8th, but right now is an exceptional time, not a new normal.

Last edited:
Nah, we're just at a turning point. Between things like AMD APUs, FSR, and Nvidia+Arm, and crazy next-generation discreet graphics around the corner, we're going to see a lot of lower minimum requirements, with a lot more fine or granular control, so that games can run on a very wide range of hardware.

can you please elaborate on those claims for those of us who are not fluent when it comes to reading or speak Techanese?

Or just the second a PS5 digital edition is possible for people to buy in store, an argument could be made that for a large range of game that it will be quite the time for low-mid budget gamers in that regard (and possibly that PC will need to compete with that when it happen).

Back