GPU mining moves to RTX 3000 laptops (AKA exploring new lows)

SamuelL421

Gawd
https://www.guru3d.com/news-story/cryptocurrency-mining-makes-a-move-to-rtx-3000-series-laptops.html

For those not following the latest, the price of Ethereum has made GPU mining about as profitable as it previously was during the frenzy in 2017. Since buying a new GPU is nigh impossible, some miners have moved over to RTX 3000 laptops instead.

Images and a clip from one of these installs:
https://twitter.com/harukaze5719/status/1359169998938324999

I recognize the boxes from some of my clevo purchases, I'd bet they're using NH55DPQ models or similar.

So when is it predicted this Ethereum thing hit a break even point where it's no longer worth it to mine? Or is it not like bitcoin in that there isn't a finite amount? Or worse, the next coin comes about that does something similar with block chains trying to decentralize transaction so people can't get rich... by making individuals get rich.

1612981746402.png

What a waste of hardware and electricity.
That is one of the biggest issues with crypto as it stands is it is a MASSIVE waste of natural resources. Compared to existing solutions for moving money around, it is literally billions or trillions of times more energy per transaction. Of course advocates are quick to point out various new kinds of crypto that supposedly don't have that downside... but then none of those seem to get traction, everything keeps going Bitcoin and Ethereum which are massively wasteful.

That's nuts.... a quick google shows that these laptops mine at the equivalent rates of a 3060Ti/3070 but of course way more expensive since it's a laptop part. Crazyyyy

That is one of the biggest issues with crypto as it stands is it is a MASSIVE waste of natural resources. Compared to existing solutions for moving money around, it is literally billions or trillions of times more energy per transaction. Of course advocates are quick to point out various new kinds of crypto that supposedly don't have that downside... but then none of those seem to get traction, everything keeps going Bitcoin and Ethereum which are massively wasteful.
Yup, time to put a stop to this trash.

Ethereum transitioning to POS. It's nearest competitors are already on POS and gaining marketshare fast. A few years ago, Bitcoin's marketshare nearly flipped and Bitcoin cash (still POW, but a more efficient protocol) nearly took over. It will happen.

Bitcoin is a stepping stone. It launched crypto and will replace the current monetary system with a faster, more efficient system that will transcend borders and has the potential to eliminate many banking functions - good riddance!

The downside is, of course, with everything electronic, world governments will be able to better monitor every action you take and try to control it. However, with privacy focused crypto coins, this will ultimately be impossible.

And all car companies are also at stall because of this. AMD and Nvidia + CPU from AMD, and Apple and Intel to come to the party, picking all the silicone left. Also said washing machines and chicken devices using electronics are lacking components made from silicone.
Let's stop using fragile electronic components in cars and at home. Everything exists using electro mechanics. Ignition, injection, assisted hydrolic gear, assisted brakes with hydro-electro-mechanic ABS and active suspension like the Citroen SM from 1970, and this is including clean energy using a hydrogen turbine and printed Michelin maps preferred to GPS. The good old ways. Yeah !

Ethereum transitioning to POS. It's nearest competitors are already on POS and gaining marketshare fast. A few years ago, Bitcoin's marketshare nearly flipped and Bitcoin cash (still POW, but a more efficient protocol) nearly took over. It will happen.

Bitcoin is a stepping stone. It launched crypto and will replace the current monetary system with a faster, more efficient system that will transcend borders and has the potential to eliminate many banking functions - good riddance!

The downside is, of course, with everything electronic, world governments will be able to better monitor every action you take and try to control it. However, with privacy focused crypto coins, this will ultimately be impossible.
Not Ethereum fault but AMD and Nvidia fault.
They stopped all their existing graphics cards and replaced them only with huge silicone ones. If you look close, you'll see the the only graphics cards available are the RTX 3090 and the AMD RX 6900XT. All the other aren't in fact really produced apart from some units.
I think those two and Intel who provides GPU only for their CPU, need a huge anti-trust class action. I mean the whole planet including all the industries that depend on chips.
This is clearly a manufactured shortage.

Manufactured shortage...yes, companies want to not be able to sell as much as they can and they want to allow the graymarket to make add'l profits due to inability to deliver based on demand. Yes.

And all car companies are also at stall because of this. AMD and Nvidia + CPU from AMD, and Apple and Intel to come to the party, picking all the silicone left. Also said washing machines and chicken devices using electronics are lacking components made from silicone.
Let's stop using fragile electronic components in cars and at home. Everything exists using electro mechanics. Ignition, injection, assisted hydrolic gear, assisted brakes with hydro-electro-mechanic ABS and active suspension like the Citroen SM from 1970, and this is including clean energy using a hydrogen turbine and printed Michelin maps preferred to GPS. The good old ways. Yeah !

Pure mechanical and electromechanical systems are never coming back. They're too reliable (when designed properly), too expensive to make in a modern disposable economy and not efficient enough to pass modern tree hugger requirements.

There are still steam engines from the Victorian era running today over 130 years later. The same won't be said 130 years from now.

Pure mechanical and electromechanical systems are never coming back. They're too reliable (when designed properly), too expensive to make in a modern disposable economy and not efficient enough to pass modern tree hugger requirements.

There are still steam engines from the Victorian era running today over 130 years later. The same won't be said 130 years from now.

House appliances are the perfect example of this.

House appliances are the perfect example of this.

Oh yeah most definitely. I lamented having to buy a new stove a few months ago because all of the new models were chock full of electronic bullshit. Our 15 year old stove started leaking gas when the burners were lit because rust-jacking had rotted out the pipes to the burners. The stove could have been re-piped, but it would have cost several times that of a new stove. The thing I really hate about our new stove is that there is no direct control over the oven. All of the burners are mechanically controlled, but the oven requires complicated settings on several different buttons. I can't wait for one of the electronic solenoids or the control board to fail and either kill us with leaking gas or cost a fortune to repair.

theyre not having much luck since its mostly chromebooks/macbook airs and the network is now locked down but the little bastards keep trying...

Kids will be kids.

I think most of us tried to poke and prod at the network security or lack thereof of school networks back when we were them.

In my case, we had to deal with Novell Netware ugh. I guess it made sense for the district since they had a cornucopia of different machines and Netware worked on pretty much all of them. We had 68k and PPC Macs and every range of PC hardware from Windows 3.11 to 2000. You could login with your network credentials on all of them and be able to access your personal storage. It wasn't until a couple of years after I graduated that they finally migrated to Active Directory.

Kids will be kids.

I think most of us tried to poke and prod at the network security or lack thereof of school networks back when we were them.

In my case, we had to deal with Novell Netware ugh. I guess it made sense for the district since they had a cornucopia of different machines and Netware worked on pretty much all of them. We had 68k and PPC Macs and every range of PC hardware from Windows 3.11 to 2000. You could login with your network credentials on all of them and be able to access your personal storage. It wasn't until a couple of years after I graduated that they finally migrated to Active Directory.
we've never had crypto/stonks related traffic until this year. i had to tell the network guys what they were seeing.

Considering the power of the 3080's in these new laptops it seriously has me wanting to sell my rig to get one. Anyone know how a 10850K, 2080Ti, and DDR4-3200 system compares to these laptops?

we've never had crypto/stonks related traffic until this year. i had to tell the network guys what they were seeing.

That's kind of surprising with how long crypto currency has been around. I guess it's all of the attention that it's been getting lately.

Kids will be kids.

Yep... Guilty... well getting around the local machine security at least.. (I was not going to mess with the hornet's nest when it came to networks).

When I was a student in high school 11 years ago, my work around for running programs on school issued HP netbooks (yes, netbooks that we could take home everyday, HP Mini 210 if i remember correctly) was to convert programs into a "portable exe" using Cameyo Package software. https://cameyo.com/cameyo-offline/

Never got in trouble for it but I knew I.T. was watching me after they gave the nickname "(insert teacher name) little helper".

I was converting programs that teachers ask us to install on our home computers like virtual TI-84 calculators (or something like that) but I made it portable so everyone in the class could run it. I knew not everyone in my school back then had computers at home and couldn't do that. (I know the teachers loved it because it meant the student had no excuses for not being able to finish their home work).

At least for my school I.T., I never gave anyone the knowledge on how to do it (so no one in my school was running any program though my method... if they could even attempt to do it since you needed un-restricted computer to capture a program.) and I was only doing it to programs that teachers were wanting us to install on our home computers (if we had one). So I was keeping IT troubles to a minimum... (Probably why they never formally confront me about it... instead just giving the nickname.)

Never saw the need to run programs that weren't school related as I had personal computer that was faster and unrestricted for those kind of things.

Last edited:

I don't think you've ever owned a pinball machine. Mechanical and electromechanical systems require lots of maintenance. Sure, old steam engines still work, the ones that never exploded and were regularly maintained.

trying to decentralize transaction so people can't get rich..
? Not sure I get the link between the 2.

I cannot start to really simulate it in my head, but if we look at the Euro for certain countries during 2008, nation losing all controls on their money and sharing same currency with very different market/economy or how bad the 1929 crisis spiraled when deflation occurs and 30% of the money retired from circulation to sit in basement has gold versus how robust it is now with how modern states can use money to help, that the potential downsides of state not having the tool that is national modern money could be quite numerous.

https://www.guru3d.com/news-story/cryptocurrency-mining-makes-a-move-to-rtx-3000-series-laptops.html

For those not following the latest, the price of Ethereum has made GPU mining about as profitable as it previously was during the frenzy in 2017. Since buying a new GPU is nigh impossible, some miners have moved over to RTX 3000 laptops instead.

Images and a clip from one of these installs:
https://twitter.com/harukaze5719/status/1359169998938324999

I recognize the boxes from some of my clevo purchases, I'd bet they're using NH55DPQ models or similar.
Fuck Comcast

I don't think you've ever owned a pinball machine. Mechanical and electromechanical systems require lots of maintenance. Sure, old steam engines still work, the ones that never exploded and were regularly maintained.

I did own a pinball machine, and a tabletop centipede machine. I also have a 34 year old truck, I'm well aware of how to maintain old electromechanical systems.

Oh yeah most definitely. I lamented having to buy a new stove a few months ago because all of the new models were chock full of electronic bullshit. Our 15 year old stove started leaking gas when the burners were lit because rust-jacking had rotted out the pipes to the burners. The stove could have been re-piped, but it would have cost several times that of a new stove. The thing I really hate about our new stove is that there is no direct control over the oven. All of the burners are mechanically controlled, but the oven requires complicated settings on several different buttons. I can't wait for one of the electronic solenoids or the control board to fail and either kill us with leaking gas or cost a fortune to repair.
I recently moved into a house that has a 35 year-old, top-of-the line (for the time) kitchen. Every single appliance (D/W, oven, hobs, fridge; Neff/Thermador and Bosche) still works like the day they were made, and the kitchen fittings are made like they could last another 50 years.

Our prior house had higher-end appliances (Samsung mostly) and an expensive kitchen: much of it had had or was starting to have issues 5 years later, even with constant care.

The old adage "they don't make them like they used to" is a literal one. When you compare the compressors, for example, on the fridges our current Neff looks like it was made to take on a deep-sea dive; the Samsung looks like a tin can.

The old adage "they don't make them like they used to" is a literal one. When you compare the compressors, for example, on the fridges our current Neff looks like it was made to take on a deep-sea dive; the Samsung looks like a tin can.

I chuckle every time I hear Ky Ryssdal talk about durable goods orders...I'm honestly not sure what he's referencing anymore

Considering the power of the 3080's in these new laptops it seriously has me wanting to sell my rig to get one. Anyone know how a 10850K, 2080Ti, and DDR4-3200 system compares to these laptops?
It really depends on how the power limit for the GPU is set and what the cooling capability of the laptop is like, the benchmarks out for Mobile 3080 are all over the place. Any of the new gen top-end mobile CPUs should, for gaming purposes, perform generally comparably to a top desktop CPU (will be slower for bigly multithreaded content creation etc work of course) but the GPU could be anywhere from about as fast as a desktop 2080Ti (in the really beffy laptops with over 150W GPU limit) all the way down to maybe desktop 2070 performance in the case of the relatively low-power (like 85W) models or anywhere in between depending on how much juice the GPU has. So, yes, we do technically have 2080Ti performance available in a laptop now but there's a lot of caveats and it's far from guaranteed, so read the GPU specs (and reviews) carefully if you decide to go that route.

Although, if this mining-on-a-laptop thing is any indication, good luck obtaining anything with a 3080 in it.

Last edited:
I recently moved into a house that has a 35 year-old, top-of-the line (for the time) kitchen. Every single appliance (D/W, oven, hobs, fridge; Neff/Thermador and Bosche) still works like the day they were made, and the kitchen fittings are made like they could last another 50 years.

Our prior house had higher-end appliances (Samsung mostly) and an expensive kitchen: much of it had had or was starting to have issues 5 years later, even with constant care.

About the only bit of good advice my family has given me in recent times: When you need a new washer/dryer, but buy the cheapest thing you can get your hands on because the high-end models don't last any longer than the cheap models...they're just more expensive to replace.

It really depends on how the power limit for the GPU is set and what the cooling capability of the laptop is like, the benchmarks out for Mobile 3080 are all over the place. Any of the new gen top-end mobile CPUs should, for gaming purposes, perform generally comparably to a top desktop CPU (will be slower for bigly multithreaded content creation etc work of course) but the GPU could be anywhere from about as fast as a desktop 2080Ti (in the really beffy laptops with over 150W GPU limit) all the way down to maybe desktop 2070 performance in the case of the relatively low-power (like 85W) models or anywhere in between depending on how much juice the GPU has. So, yes, we do technically have 2080Ti performance available in a laptop now but there's a lot of caveats and it's far from guaranteed, so read the GPU specs (and reviews) carefully if you decide to go that route.

Although, if this mining-on-a-laptop thing is any indication, good luck obtaining anything with a 3080 in it.

Yeah prices have already sky rocketed, should have done it when I had the chance. My desktop would have sold for as much as I could have gotten a TOTL 3080 laptop.

they're just more expensive to replace.

But they also do a lot more. Whether it's being a front loader and handling a larger load or has sanitary options like steam and UV or has better components and build quality? You don't think the $850 washing machine has a better motor in it than the $300 one? And that's just washers, same type things apply with dryers too.

Now I'm not saying that you should go top of the line but I certainly wouldn't go bottom barrel.

I don't mine but for shits and giggles i downloaded something from nicehash called quick miner. Installed it on my rtx2070 laptop and it is making $4.50 a day at what is shows as 100 watts. I can see why they would do it. Now uninstalling nicehash as my experiment is completed and running antivirus as we speak

Back