GPU Market Share Q3 '19

MangoSeed

[H]ard|Gawd
Q3 numbers are in and GPU sales are looking good across the board. PC gaming is dead! Long live PC gaming!

"Despite the overall PC churn, somewhat due to tablets and embedded graphics, the PC gaming momentum continues to build and is the bright spot in the AIB market. The impact and influence of eSports has also contributed to market growth and has attracted new users. VR continues to be interesting but is not having a measurable influence on the AIB market."

Nvidia sales up 38%
AMD sales up 8%

IMG-20191127-052329.jpg

https://www.jonpeddie.com/press-rel...-soars-led-by-nvidia-reports-jon-peddie-rese/

Shit that's interesting. I thought with the release of Navi, AMD would be gaining market share. I guess RTX isn't such a dud afterall.

I'm guessing that NV is far in the lead due to it's superiority at the lower end of the range.

All AMD has is the 5700/XT. Those are winners at their price points and that's where most of the glam currently is at aside from the 2080TI, but I'm guessing that most of the sales are had at the GTX 1650/1660 level. As much as reviewers didn't like the 1650, it's still easier to recommend a 'newer' product than the RX 570 that was there since 2017(?), even if the latter is technically superior. This is probably why AMD/NV have to do the yearly OEM rebrand for their older GPUs -- just to say 'new' to the end users who don't know better.

I'm guessing that NV is far in the lead due to it's superiority at the lower end of the range.

All AMD has is the 5700/XT. Those are winners at their price points and that's where most of the glam currently is at aside from the 2080TI, but I'm guessing that most of the sales are had at the GTX 1650/1660 level. As much as reviewers didn't like the 1650, it's still easier to recommend a 'newer' product than the RX 570 that was there since 2017(?), even if the latter is technically superior. This is probably why AMD/NV have to do the yearly OEM rebrand for their older GPUs -- just to say 'new' to the end users who don't know better.

The 5700xt and 5700 although selling well, are not selling that well. You can tell this is the case by the specials and new game bundles with the 5700 and 5700xt. If your selling well, you would not need to have sales. But as we can see, manufacturers have been selling $290 5700 and $350 5700xt on top of a new game bundle that did not come with the card when launched. These are the effects of supply and demand. We do not see regular sales of Ryzen 2 products because those products are selling well.

I think AMD turned away many of their customers because lots of them expected them to correct the market and launch their cards at similar price points to polaris. When they priced their cards just like Nvidia, they threw away this goodwill and trust. Particularly because of the Guerilla marketing compaign lead by people like gamer X(who disappear shortly after launch), people expected lots of performance for cheap. This just didn't happen and they became like Nvidia and AMD cannot be like Nvidia because they don't have the brand prestige and the AMD name carries alot of baggage. Lots of people waiting for AMD just went to Nvidia and that is showing up in their financials and marketshare gains. Did anyone notice how much growth in the gaming market occurred for Nvidia after Navi's launch? They gained 25% more revenue vs q2 in the gaming segment. If Navi was providing more resistance, this would have been flat at best but AMD charging Nvidia prices with a poor launch(buginess, loud coolers and high temps) gave Nvidia the keys to AMD's marketshare.

The 5700xt and 5700 although selling well, are not selling that well. You can tell this is the case by the specials and new game bundles with the 5700 and 5700xt. If your selling well, you would not need to have sales. But as we can see, manufacturers have been selling $290 5700 and $350 5700xt on top of a new game bundle that did not come with the card when launched. These are the effects of supply and demand. We do not see regular sales of Ryzen 2 products because those products are selling well.

I think AMD turned away many of their customers because lots of them expected them to correct the market and launch their cards at similar price points to polaris. When they priced their cards just like Nvidia, they threw away this goodwill and trust. Particularly because of the Guerilla marketing compaign lead by people like gamer X(who disappear shortly after launch), people expected lots of performance for cheap. This just didn't happen and they became like Nvidia and AMD cannot be like Nvidia because they don't have the brand prestige and the AMD name carries alot of baggage. Lots of people waiting for AMD just went to Nvidia and that is showing up in their financials and marketshare gains. Did anyone notice how much growth in the gaming market occurred for Nvidia after Navi's launch? They gained 25% more revenue vs q2 in the gaming segment. If Navi was providing more resistance, this would have been flat at best but AMD charging Nvidia prices with a poor launch(buginess, loud coolers and high temps) gave Nvidia the keys to AMD's marketshare.

One needs a compelling reason to upgrade from the card they currently have and at the prices video cards are at that makes people even more resistant to upgrading. I have never cared which brand I used for a video card, it came down to what performed best for what I was willing to spend and right now to upgrade from my 1080 the cost is far too high compared to what I would gain.

Back