GPU Market Gets Flooded With Used GeForce RTX 2080 Ti’s

I sold my 2080 and put my 1080 back in my computer. Don't have a ton of time to game anyway.

I am on the fence about saving for the 3080 or saving for a new DSLR camera I have been drooling over for a while.

Buy the camera. Much better investment in the long run.

camera-collection.jpg

Now I just want Nvidia to release a "Pre-release Mining" driver or BIOS update that sets the voltage to infinity.
Yes, infinity.

some of us on here are driven to our upgrade decisions based on the fear of being made fun of and so forth

some were traumatized in the early enthusiast days
erek, with the specs of your rig, few have better parts so being made fun of is nothing to worry about.

Do you realize that your present rig is easily in the top 5% of gaming rigs?

If you were to upgrade a 7+ year old PC would you wait for the 3xxx launch or get something now-ish? Haven't gamed in almost 2 months since my PC keeps locking up (I blame the aging GPU, let's be honest 7 years is old as fuck, if I remember correctly I have a 7950 and an old I5 3750 or something like that).

I miss gaming, not that I can do much of it now since I have a 10 month old but still, once in a while it's nice, so I wouldn't get a 500$+ GPU or CPU more like 1200-1500 (CAD$) top for the whole system.

Meh, I hate shopping.

I think the "Super"
If you were to upgrade a 7+ year old PC would you wait for the 3xxx launch or get something now-ish? Haven't gamed in almost 2 months since my PC keeps locking up (I blame the aging GPU, let's be honest 7 years is old as fuck, if I remember correctly I have a 7950 and an old I5 3750 or something like that).

I miss gaming, not that I can do much of it now since I have a 10 month old but still, once in a while it's nice, so I wouldn't get a 500$+ GPU or CPU more like 1200-1500 (CAD$) top for the whole system.

My daughter learned to sleep on a pillow next to me on the floor after night feedings.....she helped me grind through Project Gotham Racing 2 and a half dozen other games on Xbox........gaming, like life, finds a way....

giphy.gif

If you don't need to upgrade now, don't. If 3070's are as powerful as 2080 Ti's, and 3070's will cost $500 when available...that means the longer you wait the more card you'll get for $200, $300, $400. The supply won't be drying up anytime soon....in fact the flood hasn't started. When 3070's start shipping en masse, then you'll see the used market overflowing with 7 different flavors of 2080, all the 100 series cards and all the 900 series cards that are now basically aging out for most new games due to their usually limited RAM situation.....

Meh, I hate shopping.

When it comes to new hardware, minimize the upgrades you give it that couldn't be brought directly over into a fresh new build. I'm leaning toward an RTX 3070, but man, I wish they'd stretched for a 16GB option. Maybe the 3070 Ti will be the ticket, or AMD will offer a 16GB competitive part. This is all exciting, but it's very early.

As for the existing build, I'd be inclined to test your power supply and apply fresh thermal paste to the 7950 and CPU before writing those off. If you haven't aggressively overclocked your hardware and ventilation is good, it won't keel over unless something flat out fails. Props on prioritizing your ten month old - time will come for games later. Enjoy the kid!

So glad I got rid of all my 10xx series cards late last year and replaced them with 2080ti's, both for then-decent prices.

But I plan to keep the ti's for quite some time, probably until the 40xx cards come out...so no worries there since I don't game :)

The issue is that they are using the cards right now to mine, but the release date is the 17th.
The year is 4718 in China. The RTX 3080 is 2000 years old. Jensen said something about traveling to the future...

If you don't need to upgrade now, don't. If 3070's are as powerful as 2080 Ti's, and 3070's will cost $500 when available...that means the longer you wait the more card you'll get for $200, $300, $400. The supply won't be drying up anytime soon....in fact the flood hasn't started. When 3070's start shipping en masse, then you'll see the used market overflowing with 7 different flavors of 2080, all the 100 series cards and all the 900 series cards that are now basically aging out for most new games due to their usually limited RAM situation.....

The more you wait, the more you save?

nvidia-weforce-v3.jpg

Well sure, if you wait forever and never buy a GPU, you'll save a bunch of money.

Perhaps. I have a couple of pretty expensive hobbies though (besides women and gambling).

Well... if the miners buy all the new cards, then they will dump the "old" 2 series cards and the prices will probably plummet on them.

If that is the case and 3 series cards are not available then maybe I will just get a 2080Ti.

No, I don't care if it has been mined on. Family member still has a 7970 that I bought used quite a few years ago that I am almost 100% sure had been mined on. I have the other 7970 that I had it paired with that I also bought used that was mined on before I got it. Neither one ever gave me any issues.

Still leaning towards the camera though.... going full-frame 36.4MP from APS-C 16MP will be glorious.

The more you wait, the more you save?

View attachment 277644

It's not as simple as wait an indefinite period of time and you'll get a better deal. You're really looking at 3 months. If you can wait 3 months, you'll have a lot more cheap cards at your disposal (assuming there isn't a big crypto boom or extremely tight supplies of 3XXX, etc.).

$400-450 for a 2080Ti vs. $550-600 now? I'd just wait and see with whatever I have now. Once we get mid range cards also, you could be looking at sub-$200 2060 Supers and 2070's.

It's not as simple as wait an indefinite period of time and you'll get a better deal. You're really looking at 3 months. If you can wait 3 months, you'll have a lot more cheap cards at your disposal (assuming there isn't a big crypto boom or extremely tight supplies of 3XXX, etc.).

$400-450 for a 2080Ti vs. $550-600 now? I'd just wait and see with whatever I have now. Once we get mid range cards also, you could be looking at sub-$200 2060 Supers and 2070's.

I realize that of course; then there's this: Ethereum Miners Eye NVIDIA’s RTX 30 Series GPU as RTX 3080 Offers 3-4x Better Performance in Eth

I saw that, but it doesn't go into power numbers. I would be very surprised if the RDNA2 cards don't crush Nvidia in terms of hash per watt. If those 3080 numbers are to be believed, then it's essentially only slightly ahead of the Radeon VII at a higher power draw. Navi already makes up the hit from GDDR6 vs. HBM and will net a similar hash per watt. If RDNA2 gets to 50% less power like they were claiming, then Big Navi would likely be the ETH mining champ...which would leave the RTX cards for the gamers. Obviously, this is only ETH and there are multitudes of alt-coins out there.

Red Falcon My ATI All-In-Wonder 128 32MB card with TV Tuner...people couldn't understand how i could watch TV on my computer and record stuff...
Somewhere in my home I have a AIW Radeon as well as a AIW Radeon 8500 and a 3DFX Voodoo 3 3500 TV. Those were the days.

Haven't gamed in almost 2 months since my PC keeps locking up (I blame the aging GPU, let's be honest 7 years is old as fuck, if I remember correctly I have a 7950 and an old I5 3750 or something like that).
That would still be a good gaming setup even today, if it worked. Linux would get you the most performance out of it.

Well... if the miners buy all the new cards, then they will dump the "old" 2 series cards and the prices will probably plummet on them.

If that is the case and 3 series cards are not available then maybe I will just get a 2080Ti.

No, I don't care if it has been mined on. Family member still has a 7970 that I bought used quite a few years ago that I am almost 100% sure had been mined on. I have the other 7970 that I had it paired with that I also bought used that was mined on before I got it. Neither one ever gave me any issues.

Still leaning towards the camera though.... going full-frame 36.4MP from APS-C 16MP will be glorious.

Yeah after getting my wife an A7iii and 2 lenses I am debating going 3090 myself or just keeping my 2080tis for a while. That camera does absolutely destroy the A6000 she had been using before.

Any chance vendors slap a "limit 1 per customer" on these cards? Which sure wouldn't stop a miner completely, but it may slow down the average miner from just buying 10 cards at a shot as an "investment"
Miners likely to raid the party from how it seems? 🙁

I decided to heck with the new series and the initial availability and markup issues, and picked up a $450 ASUS Strix 2080.

I'll eventually want both my desktop and my HTPC (which is what I'll be using for VR) to both have good video cards, and the Strix is easily a $100 premium on the new cards, so, yes, $450 is a pretty good deal. The Strix should be the most quiet of the 2080 cards from what research I've done, since it has a built-in "silent" mode, which has placed it at the bottom of the graph in multi-card shootouts as far as load noise goes.

I'll probably eventually get a 3080, but I'll wait for stock levels to stabilize.

Reactions: erek
like this
Any chance vendors slap a "limit 1 per customer" on these cards? Which sure wouldn't stop a miner completely, but it may slow down the average miner from just buying 10 cards at a shot as an "investment"

Again, I think we'll have to wait and see, but I'm not sure I'd keep my hopes up given what we've experienced the past few years. Everyone from manufacturers to official vendors to "professional" gougers is in the game to make a profit.

It could be interesting to see just how much of NVIDIA's profits with respect to the series are attributed to mining though.

Was looking to get a 3070 but may just try to get the 3080 instead to lock one in. The chances to get one should be best at launch.

Why would Nvidia care what users do with the cards? A sale is a sale.

They do care as they're being sued for manipulating their sales information during the last cryptoboom. Do you not follow the industry at all?

It could be interesting to see just how much of NVIDIA's profits with respect to the series are attributed to mining though.
It depends on the cost efficiency is there. Maybe if they undervolt well.

I haven't seen anything to indicate that Ampere will be more efficient than Big Navi. While that is gaming performance-related, it stands to reason it applies to compute as well.

They do care as they're being sued for manipulating their sales information during the last cryptoboom. Do you not follow the industry at all?
Shareholder lawsuits, yes I’m aware. It’s just idiots who bought at a high and got upset the stock didn’t go straight up after their purchase. Nvidia doesn’t care if you are a gamer or miner, as long as you buy the card.
They are being sued for allegedly making false/misleading statements.

Are we at a point where the cards outperform the monitors?
I see a lot about the 3090 setting new standards for resolution and refresh frequency, but zippo about the monitors that can provide a good picture while driven that way.
Do we have to wait for the 32" OLED screen or is there a currently available option?

Shareholder lawsuits, yes I’m aware. It’s just idiots who bought at a high and got upset the stock didn’t go straight up after their purchase. Nvidia doesn’t care if you are a gamer or miner, as long as you buy the card.
They are being sued for allegedly making false/misleading statements.

NVIDIA does care because they end up with stock glut and a flooded used market. Look at what happened with Pascal and Turing.

Are we at a point where the cards outperform the monitors?
I see a lot about the 3090 setting new standards for resolution and refresh frequency, but zippo about the monitors that can provide a good picture while driven that way.
Do we have to wait for the 32" OLED screen or is there a currently available option?

Why would you need an OLED? There's 240 Hz and 360 Hz screens that are designed around these high performance cards. Most gamers don't use 4K or OLED screens.

Why would Nvidia care what users do with the cards? A sale is a sale.
Yes and no, sure if they sell all their cards, they sell all their cards and make the same amount of money regardless of who buys them, however the long term thinking is that a lost sale due to unavailability for say a gamer or average user may push said user to buy their competitor's card which it looks like AMD is going to be announcing/releasing somewhere in October(?). Now sure back to the original bit of they maximized profits with all the sales, but they may have lost the long term war with brand loyalty, now these gamers might be like "AMD is way better anyways" (irregardless of truth), so that potentially loses a future sale which any big company is going to care about. More sales your competitor gets means they get stronger too, and I think everyone can agree that the 20 series showed us what Nvidia is capable of with no competition.

NVIDIA does care because they end up with stock glut and a flooded used market. Look at what happened with Pascal and Turing.

Didn't seem to hurt the bottom line. Nvidia is crushing it. Well run company.

Didn't seem to hurt the bottom line. Nvidia is crushing it. Well run company.

That’s not the point. It creates problems for the market and extends inventory clearance time. I think when I read the NV lawsuit that they did in fact lie about growth because said crypto was a minor factor in their explosive quarter earnings but once it slowed down they were left with excess inventory and subsequent quarter showed declines.

Back