GPU Market Gets Flooded With Used GeForce RTX 2080 Ti’s

Well depends what you consider by "that far" listening to Jay, I'm 100% sure he's already got a card, just the way he says stuff like "I'll answer questions as far as the NDA allows", or something along those lines. And if Jay has a card, Linus has a card, and probably Hardware Unboxed as well, etc.

You sign an NDA before you get product, not after. Nvidia shared a ton of information with the press a day or so after the official announcement, stuff in there was likely under NDA. Hardware Unboxed just released a video yesterday where they said they don't have a card yet. Anytime reviewers talk about when they get this stuff, it's never "yeah, we've had it for weeks" it's always stuff like "we had to do all this testing over a weekend" or "we weren't given enough time to run all the tests we wanted" etc.

Reactions: Meeho
like this
Where is everyone seeing these $500 2080Tis? I saw one or two close at that price on eBay right after the announcement but going rate seems to be about $600-$699/

edit: Screenshot added...
View attachment 277327
The price won't go down until the release of the RTX 3070, which is sometime in October. Priced at $600-$699 seems about right since this month we only get the 3080 and 3090 which are $700 and above. Plus there's a lot of stubborn people who won't drop the price no matter what. Would you drop the price knowing you spent over $1k for it?

For those upset about resale value, you're looking at RTX 2080Ti + $200 to go to a 3080 right now, versus the RTX 2080Ti + $400 had they priced the 3080 at $1200.

I'm not terribly upset. I bought it for 4K60 at high/ultra settings, any RTX features were extra. I also knew the score going in that I take a risk on the resale value. Though I have had great luck in the last few generations with Titan cards selling for most of what I paid for them. This time I will probably drop the 2080Ti into the wife's machine so she can finally run 4K on the big TV.

I got two years of solid 4K60 gaming out of the card and it will continue being used in the wife's machine.

I also have a habit of saving for the next card as soon as I buy what is current. That way I don't have to bank on resale value. Assuming I can actually get one (and the performance is there...) I'll have a 3090 already paid for. There is always something better if I wait long enough but I'm not getting any younger and you never know what tomorrow will bring. I want my fun now ;)

Same, I only ever bought it for the 30-40% raster improvement over a 1080ti/2080 since I want 4K native. The RT crap was just a bonus.

Given that it's now almost 2 years old, and I fully expect to at least use it until spring of 2021, I don't mind the $1200 I paid for it.

I forgot about those bad batch of 2080 Ti's.

I remember...

zzz.jpg

some of us on here are driven to our upgrade decisions based on the fear of being made fun of and so forth

some were traumatized in the early enthusiast days
I remember bragging to my high school friends about my awesome new GeForce 4 MX4000 circa 2003.
They thought it was cool (we were all broke), but the traumatizing part was trying to game on it... :D

I remember bragging to my high school friends about my awesome new GeForce 4 MX4000 circa 2003.
They thought it was cool (we were all broke), but the traumatizing part was trying to game on it... :D

Same here!

GeForce 2/MX 200 tho

Can you share the conclusion, or did that die with the shutdown of the [H] review section?
I don't really see any reason of rehashing that. I do not have all my sources together any more. NVIDIA knew exactly what the problem was but never confirmed that to the press or customers.

If you guys are looking for really cheap RTX's, head over to Reddit's /r/hardwareswap, I'm constantly seeing 2080 Ti's going for <550 if you're local in their city, and most of the time they also do shipping. Plus you guys don't have to worry about taxes, just the shipping. I've made so many purchases on there lately and saved some mula in the process.

Just be aware that while nvidia sold 2080tis have a 3 year warranty, it’s only good with the original buyer. So a used one won’t have a warranty.

The price won't go down until the release of the RTX 3070, which is sometime in October. Priced at $600-$699 seems about right since this month we only get the 3080 and 3090 which are $700 and above. Plus there's a lot of stubborn people who won't drop the price no matter what. Would you drop the price knowing you spent over $1k for it?
Just depends how bad you want to sell it...

and isn't the 3080 supposed to be $699? And it should be quite a bit faster, no? IF (and this is a BIG "if") the 3080 is widely available at MSRP of $699 to say $749 (with aftermarket coolers), I think the RTX 2080Tis will be sub $650 easily. Otherwise, we'll see I guess.

Just depends how bad you want to sell it...

and isn't the 3080 supposed to be $699? And it should be quite a bit faster, no?
It seems ~35-40% faster than a 2080 Ti going by what we currently now, lees in sub 4K res.

kind of don't feel bad for those who bought the 2xxx series. It wasn't much better than 1xxx series and RTX just didn't matter at all. Still doesn't seem to matter much now.

1xxx cards still perform amazingly well even on new games.

kind of don't feel bad for those who bought the 2xxx series. It wasn't much better than 1xxx series and RTX just didn't matter at all. Still doesn't seem to matter much now.

Not really. If you bought a 2x00 series this summer, with very little research, you could have found out there was a release this fall. It's like buying an iPhone 11 right now with the 12 only being 30 days out.

Further, if you bought at release, well, release was basically two years ago now, so you got value out of it.

The reality is that if you are a normal person with a 1080p HDTV or a standard 1440p monitor, there isn't much reason to upgrade. Even something like the 1660 Super is more than enough if you do gaming at 1080p. Most everyone I know doesn't need a GPU that costs over mid-$200 at this point.

Not really. If you bought a 2x00 series this summer, with very little research, you could have found out there was a release this fall. It's like buying an iPhone 11 right now with the 12 only being 30 days out.

Further, if you bought at release, well, release was basically two years ago now, so you got value out of it.

The reality is that if you are a normal person with a 1080p HDTV or a standard 1440p monitor, there isn't much reason to upgrade. Even something like the 1660 Super is more than enough if you do gaming at 1080p. Most everyone I know doesn't need a GPU that costs over mid-$200 at this point.

I'd argue that even at some higher res @ 60hz or less you are still OK w/o upgrading....

Eh, my 1080 is getting long in the teeth for 1440p stuff, and VR. Looking forward to getting a 3080 when I can.

Should I start crying now for the money I'm going to lose on my 3000 series card when the 4000's come out?

Conman not if you time it right, and have a stopgap to hold you over. fortunately for me i was always planning to give my 2080 Ti away and not resell to pay toward the 3000 series

also what's with the name "Conman" ? care to explain? is it relevant to this:

We told you folks that prices would come back down PLUS increase performance after a die shrink, but they had to stay in their "OMGWTFBBQ only 30% performance increase, with even higher prices" huts.

If you want to live like an animal, then you then you take your 30% subsistence/starvation life like a caveman...but the rest of us have the high-tech infection.

The reason this whole thing works without prices going nuts is because top-end chip makers like Qualcomm and Apple pay out-the-ass to create a new process node, and then everyone else uses it for 2-3 more years. Prices are still going up, but only for corner cases (the mainstream chips from Nvidia and AMD are still sane). They pay out the exorbitant process node prices over twice as long as they used to, and we keep moving forward.

If you bought 2080 Ti a year ago then you got your money's worth...but if you bought last month, that's your fool fault. While I think a doubling of performance was way beyond everyone's expectations, I was telling people 40-50% at the same power level (and the sky is the limit if you increase power).

Last edited:
ive been watching card prices since they announced RTX 3K and i saw one 2080ti go for 450 and a 2080ti Kingpin go for 650. 2080tis have stabilized out now to about 600-650 depending on what model card it is. Ive also noticed this hasnt really affected cards much that are less than a 1080ti yet. 1080tis seem to be holding 400-475 for the most part.

Reactions: erek
like this
I sold one nice cherry almost unused 2080 To last month for good money. Have two more here in systems that are used daily. I am in no rush to upgrade. Those cards are great, and I have no problem waiting to see the full picture before I make a move.

I sold one nice cherry almost unused 2080 To last month for good money. Have two more here in systems that are used daily. I am in no rush to upgrade. Those cards are great, and I have no problem waiting to see the full picture before I make a move.
Way back when, you'd have had a sneak preview. On the other hand, that came with shackles aplenty. I imagine that takes a lot of the fun out of it.

Red Falcon My ATI All-In-Wonder 128 32MB card with TV Tuner...people couldn't understand how i could watch TV on my computer and record stuff...

Still remember lots of shit given to those of us who jumped on the Titan Pascal first edition 4 years ago , while it was a lot to bite off cost wise at the time, it's done me well for that long ,

Definitely was tempted many times to get the 2080ti but managed to hold off.

Way back when, you'd have had a sneak preview. On the other hand, that came with shackles aplenty. I imagine that takes a lot of the fun out of it.
Dunno. Pretty sure I have had better information than the press up to this point. :). They will just be getting actual hardware before me, and let's be real, Nvidia was never sending me a card again after GPP.

Dunno. Pretty sure I have had better information than the press up to this point. :). They will just be getting actual hardware before me, and let's be real, Nvidia was never sending me a card again after GPP.

I'm still surprised Nvidia's hunter drones haven't tracked you down yet. Also, I wouldn't count out you charming your way back in to their good books (if only temporarily). I remember you writing a scathing article on AMD's inner drama, and then months later appearing on stage for one of their announcement shindigs talking VR.

I remember...

Rumor has it there's going to be a special edition of the RTX 30xx that comes in a box autographed by LJ, which will be released during the 30xx series refresh in 2021. According to that scuttlebutt, it'll be accompanied by a little action man figurine that looks like LJ and talks when you pull on a string and says cute little things like "buy more, save more," or "did you say test escapes?"

It's said the doll itself will be made by the same people who make the troll dolls for Hasbro:

leatherjacket1.jpg

Back