GPU in a pcie 3.0 x1 slot on monitor output performance

mu7x

n00b
The PCI-E bus is used to communicate with the graphics card.

So does this mean that connecting a GPU in a PCI-E 3.0 x1 slot would not affect the monitor output at all ? Is there any impact of the PCI-E bus' bandwidth or throughput on the video output to a monitor?

Thanks rhansen6_99, I was actually interested if there were any issues in displaying video output when dropping to slower pci-e bus speeds (i.e. 4k 10bit monitor output on a slow bus x1 bus). I mistakenly thought that it would affect video output (it will however affect gaming performance since that involves moving data from memory to the gpu through the pcie-bus, which is limited by the bus speed). Video output to the monitor from the gpu needs to have a suitable cable to support the bandwidth, but the bandwidth of the pcie-bus is not related.

Hey sorry I missed what you were asking, but yes you are right. The 1x pcie 3 can move data about 1gb per second and a 4k60 display requires about 500M pixels per sec ... So even at 10bit with some fuzzy logic you should be pretty safe within the potential.

Hey sorry I missed what you were asking, but yes you are right. The 1x pcie 3 can move data about 1gb per second and a 4k60 display requires about 500M pixels per sec ... So even at 10bit with some fuzzy logic you should be pretty safe within the potential.

And to be more clear: the bandwidth used by the video card to output data is significantly less because it's processing compressed data.

Compressed instructions to render the colorful desktop (2D or 3D).
Compressed textures for all the bitmaps.
Compressed video, which is rendered in hardware on the video card.

So the end slot bandwidth required to create a scene on your desktop is tiny. The DisplayPort or HDMI connection is the one tasked with handling the highest-bandwidth job displaying the Windows desktop, since it's fully-rendered and uncompressed.

Back