GPU for 2560 x 1600 monitor

bobthfd

Limp Gawd
Ive got a Asus GTX980ti Matrix driving my 55" 4K monitor. I'd like to set up my 2560x1600 monitor to watch streams, browse the forums, etc while I game on the 4K monitor. Nothing very graphically demanding but I don't want to sacrifice any of the 980ti's power away from the 4K monitor. I don't see running anything on the 2560 x 1600 more demanding than TWITCH or YT. Any recommendations for a small GPU for driving the 2560 x 1600 monitor?

380/380x and 7970/280x amd or Nvidia 960/950...i guess the 960 would be more beneficial for Nvidia physics games if they even still make those....looking at your sig you appear to already have a card to do it?

I really need to get in there and edit my sig, it's an old build. That being said I still have the 7970 as well as a pair of GTX 970's, but I was looking for the 'lightest' solution for driving the 2560 X 1600 for desktop apps (no gaming). I'm afraid I didn't make that very clear in the op. I'd planned on selling the 7970 and both 970's but maybe I'll keep one of the 970's, but it seems like overkill for what I need.

Would something like a GeForce 210 work
ASUS GeForce 210 DirectX 10.1 EN210 SILENT/DI/1GD3/V2(LP) 1GB 64-Bit DDR3 PCI Express 2.0 x16 Low Profile Ready Video Card - Newegg.com

what CPU are you using right now? if you any anything newer than sandy bridge, then.. why not just iGPU? it will be enough for your task.

I've got a 4790k. Can you use the iGPU at the same time as the discrete GPU. I want to game on the GTX970/4K monitor, while using the 2560x1600 for YouTube. Would doing so sap any of the 4790's processing power or is the iGPU completely seperate?

Just hook up the monitor to onboard video and turn on igpu. It's a completely separate graphics processor on the cpu so no real loss of processing power, some of your ram will be used for the igpu's video memory (i think you can adjust how much) and your cpu will run a little hotter. If you're over clocking you may have to redo your voltages.

I think you'd be just fine using it off the 980ti. I play games off my 290 at 3440x1440 and have a secondary 1920x1080 monitor running Netflix regularly and haven't noticed any difference.

If it's not actually doing anything meaningful then yeah... like the others said just turn on the iGPU and plug it in there.

DO NOT BUY A GT210 fuck sake. Anyone recommending that has not had to be tortured on a 2560 screen with one of them before.

They can't even run aero, they lag and tear web browsing and can't play 1080p without lagging either.

Either iGPU or 7970 for 10 bit support (assuming it's a 10 bit panel) and be done.

DO NOT BUY A GT210 fuck sake. Anyone recommending that has not had to be tortured on a 2560 screen with one of them before.

They can't even run aero, they lag and tear web browsing and can't play 1080p without lagging either.

Either iGPU or 7970 for 10 bit support (assuming it's a 10 bit panel) and be done.
Thanks for the warning. I'm just going to give the iGPU a shot. If it didn't work I'll most likely keep one of my 970's. This brings up another question, is there any advantage to using the 970 as a physics card or is that basically a dead technology.

IMHO get a Chromecast or something else like that and use it, instead. I have three monitors, one on my 980ti, and two on the iGPU in my 4790K. When I play a video, either Youtube, Twitch, or local, on one of the monitors on the iGPU, not only does it use the iGPU but it also bumps up usage of the 980ti to 8-9%. May not sound like much, but trying to also play a 3D game on the main monitor basically turns it into a slideshow, even if the game can run without using the entire GPU to the fullest. Only really, really basic games don't seem to have any problems.

As stated, you can and should simply use the IGP on your 4790k. That's how I have my 2nd monitors connected on boy my Sandy Bridge and Ivy Bridge boxes.

You will need to use the display port output for that resolution, I don't believe Intel supports higher then 1080 or 1200p using DVI.

As stated, you can and should simply use the IGP on your 4790k. That's how I have my 2nd monitors connected on boy my Sandy Bridge and Ivy Bridge boxes.

You will need to use the display port output for that resolution, I don't believe Intel supports higher then 1080 or 1200p using DVI.
Well that wouldn't be good, I'm trying to use a 30" Apple ACD, no display port, just dual link dvi

Well that wouldn't be good, I'm trying to use a 30" Apple ACD, no display port, just dual link dvi

You can get a DP to Dual Link DVI adapter, you just cant run it directly off the DVI port on the board.

I'm still willing to give iGPU a try but I was digging around in a closet and found a pair of GTX460's. I might throw one of those in, or would a 970 be a better option I terms of power usage and noise.

If it's not loaded (not being used for 3D stuff) it really shouldn't matter. Spending the money for a 970 for a secondary display that isn't used for intensive tasks makes no sense.

I've already got the 970, actually a pair of them. Just debating keeping one of them vs selling them both. I've never been good about selling old kit, but I've got a pair of 970's, a 7970, and a pair of 460's sitting in a closet. Not sure which, if any should be repurposed and which should be sold

You're still better off using the IGP. If you're not gaming you won't notice the difference and using either the 970 or 460 means more power then using the IGP as well as dropping your PCIe down to 8x on your primary video card.

The benefit of using them is you can set them up as a dedicated PhysX card.

I've got the 970 in for now. I tried iGPU through the DVI conector but as someone said earlier the best I could do was 1080. I'll looked around for a diplay port to DVI but the only one I could find was mini display port. I'll give the 970 a try for a while and think about getting another adapter with a full size DP.

Unfortunately, being a non-powered converter, it's very unlikely that it will work well for you. I know it claims that it is capable of converting to full 4K60, I doubt it can without flickering. If you had a monitor that was 1080p60, it would likely work, as that would only require the equivalent of a single link DVI, and Displayport does give enough power to a converter to do that without issue in most cases (there are still some cases where it doesn't work perfectly).

I'm running a 2nd 2560x1440 monitor on a Geforce 9600GSO (the crippled one) for the same reasons as you (monitoring, video playback, etc while gaming on the other) and it's just fine. Almost any card that says it supports that resolution will be fine for any kind of video playback. Though, there's no need if you have the iGPU on your CPU that will run it. If not, of the cards you listed, sell them all and keep one 460, it's more than enough for what you're doing with it. You do not need a 970 for youtube, even at that resolution.

I know you're new here, but reading the thread should be an obvious first step.

So by giving him advice to wait for the new cards to come out on friday, which in turn would drive down the prices of every other card out, including the smaller ones like he inquired about, means I didn't read the thread.

Right. Thanks for nice welcome. I now see what everyone is talking about in terms of the people who post here. smh

Last edited:
read my last post kid. stop assuming.

I guess recommending a 380 is ok, but saying wait means I didn't read the "entire thread". ROFL

I guess recommending a 380 is ok, but saying wait means I didn't read the "entire thread". ROFL

So you still haven't read the thread? You're new and dense it seems. You'll do great here.

I was going to write an explanation, but figured it would be a fruitless endeavor.

You're still better off using the IGP. If you're not gaming you won't notice the difference and using either the 970 or 460 means more power then using the IGP as well as dropping your PCIe down to 8x on your primary video card.

The benefit of using them is you can set them up as a dedicated PhysX card.

I'm quoting myself because I've changed my mind. If using the IGP means you'll need to invest in a $40-60 adapter, you're probably better off simply running both off the 980Ti or adding one of your existing GeForce to drive the 2nd display. While you're at it, set it as your dedicated PhysX card for the handful of titles that may take advantage of it.

Looks like you guys still haven't read this thread....

sigh...Some people

They were pretty rude about it, but I'll try to explain. The only card he inquired about buying was a Geforce 210. 1070 and 1080 coming out will have literally zero effect on the pricing of a 210. All the other GPUs he talked about (7970,970,460) are ones he owns already. So while they were dicks about it, they weren't entirely wrong. Your advice wasn't related to the topic at hand.

They were pretty rude about it, but I'll try to explain. The only card he inquired about buying was a Geforce 210. 1070 and 1080 coming out will have literally zero effect on the pricing of a 210. All the other GPUs he talked about (7970,970,460) are ones he owns already. So while they were dicks about it, they weren't entirely wrong. Your advice wasn't related to the topic at hand.

Meaning if anything he should sell those other cards now before their value decreases.

If by crying, you mean trolling you, yeap, thats what I did. Lol @ you. smh

Nah I mean crying. At least your whining got someone to provide you the cliffsnotes version of this thread. Though given your short post history here, you're probably still confused.

Back