GPU fan too loud, can I replace with case fan?

hagbard

Limp Gawd
My XFX4870 video card fan has always been loud but now its unbearable. Don't want to by a new card just to get rid of the noise, and shipping back would cost nearly as much as it worth (that, plus I've fiddled with it enough they wouldn't likely honour the warranty).

Question...can I just take the fan off and rig a case fan to the heat sink? Would there be any issues with doing this? Open to other suggestions.

That usually doesn't work too well. Got a pic of the card? When is the last time you cleaned out the heatsink and put new thermal paste?

Sprayed it out this morning, new hs paste a couple months ago. The noise goes away if I push it upwards...guessing if I laid the computer on its side it would be quiet. I don't game on the computer, wonder if I could get set it to its lowest setting and pull the fan?

Thats a really hot and loud card if you're not gaming. Is the card sagging or bent? Or did the fan come loose? Hard to picture why it would quiet down if you push on it.

Do you mean it goes away when you push down on the fan shroud, or the fan motor?

If its the shroud, I had a similar issue with my 7950 Vapor-X. I wedged a popsicle stick between the frame and part of my case and it put just enough pressure on it for the noise to go away. Since changing cases, it no longer makes the noise.. so must mount better in a FT02 than a Stacker 830.

As an eBay Associate, HardForum may earn from qualifying purchases.
Do you mean it goes away when you push down on the fan shroud, or the fan motor?

If its the shroud, I had a similar issue with my 7950 Vapor-X. I wedged a popsicle stick between the frame and part of my case and it put just enough pressure on it for the noise to go away. Since changing cases, it no longer makes the noise.. so must mount better in a FT02 than a Stacker 830.

The motor, the centre of the fan. If I push upward but keep the fan moving the noise stops.

Problem solved. It makes that noise, I kick the computer, it stops, for a while anyway...then I kick it again.

Ok, while I don't think this idea is the best solution to the problem, I don't see why it wouldn't work. Your removing the shroud (and the direction of where the air blows) which means you might have to put heatsinks on the memory and mosfets and because the air is not being channeled outside of the case you might have to bulk up your cooling somehow. Is this worth it, not in my book, to much work but, it should do ok. I think it would be easier as said earlier replace the shroud and fan or get a aftermarket heatsink.

Problem solved. It makes that noise, I kick the computer, it stops, for a while anyway...then I kick it again.

I have a similar problem. Vacuumed and cleaned the gpu but still don't have a solution. ati 5850 btw.

Why not contact the manufacturer and ask if they have any spare fans available? It couldn't hurt to ask, and you never know if they might be willing to send you one just to get an old part out of their warehouse.

I asked them a year ago...they said to send the whole thing back (at my expense, of course). I've since messed around with the fan so much they'd likely send it straight back (again, at my expense). So its either I repair it or give up and buy a new one (not likely xfx).

Says "may not ship to Canada"....plus, way way more than I intend to spend.

Last edited:
^ they do make rather fast fans with decent db noise levels. i did this exact same thing with my old 4870x2 and it worked pretty well.

The motor, the centre of the fan. If I push upward but keep the fan moving the noise stops.

Bearings are shot, buy a new fan from ebay, or a custom heatsink that a few people manufacture, yeah kicking the computer is doing a wonder of good for your hard drives.

Zalman VF1000

Accelero hybrid

Thermaltake Duorb

A whole selection of AMD cooling options here http://www.frozencpu.com/cat/l3/g40/c21/s65/list/p1/Air_Cooling-VGA_HeatsinksCoolers-ATIAMD_Card-Page1.html

or find a replacement stock fan/heatsink from ebay.

A good cooler might end up costing half as much as a replacement GPU. Before buying any GPU coolers I would look and see what you can get for $120-150.

no idea what this card looks like but totally possible to screw a 120mm quiet fan into the heatsink fins once the shroud is gone, thats how we attached fans to the heatsink in the early days.

dosn't look very professional but hey it works, and it works well.

Back