GPU crashing on 2070 Super FE using 442.19/442.37

Ollixf

n00b
Hello, I'm new here posting but have read the forum for years.

I've had an issue since upgrading to 442.19, specifically in Control and Shadow of Mordor. After about 5-10 minutes, the game will freeze and then I get a variation on the message:
  • 'GPU will not respond to more commands.'
  • I've tried the hotfix 422.37 and I've done a clean install of the drivers.
  • I've recently done a clean install of Windows 10 / 1909
  • Do you think this is just a driver issue and I should rollback? Or could it be something more sinister?
Thanks!

Hardware / Software:
  • MB: ASUS ROG Maximus GENE VIII
  • CPU: i7 6700k - Stock speed
  • GPU: 2070 Super FE - Stock speed
  • RAM: Corsair Vengeance LPX 16 GB (2 x 8 GB) DDR4 2400 Mhz
  • EKWB water loop for cooling of CPU/GPU
  • Windows 10 / 1909
  • Geforce Driver 442.37

card not stable .. Try rma. I had 3 cards: Aorus 2080 Ti Waterforce Xtreme. And no matter what drivers never had single crash on any game,Control ,etc.

PS:Just not trying to make you sad or unhappy. But i think its not stable. I had 3 the same gpus and never crashed on that game titles like you said. Please smile for me :) Just try call to shop and rma if its on guarantee :). ALL will be fine.

Last edited:
Thanks people, very helpful. Will give those tips a go and reply on progress.

I'm still smiling 😁 It didn't crash for months, so I'm optimistic it's a driver or Direct X issue.

Quick update...

Used DDU in safe mode to uninstall 442.37 and rolled back to 441.87. Played a good hour of Control and it's not crashed.

Going to play more this evening, fingers crossed that's solved it.

Just seen 442.50 has been released, going to resist!

Thanks again.

Quick update...

Used DDU in safe mode to uninstall 442.37 and rolled back to 441.87. Played a good hour of Control and it's not crashed.

Going to play more this evening, fingers crossed that's solved it.

Just seen 442.50 has been released, going to resist!

Thanks again.
Every once in a while a driver f*cks up something, usually downgrading or upgrading solves the issue.

Every once in a while a driver f*cks up something, usually downgrading or upgrading solves the issue.
"Last Known Good" is always the first thing I try after updating drivers no matter the device. Thankfully it doesn't happen to me often these days.

"Last Known Good" is always the first thing I try after updating drivers no matter the device. Thankfully it doesn't happen to me often these days.

Honestly can't remember the last time I had to roll back on a Nvidia driver.
Could be the games I play I suppose.

Honestly can't remember the last time I had to roll back on a Nvidia driver.
Could be the games I play I suppose.

First time for me, as long as I can remember. Nvidia drivers always seem pretty solid. Hopefully it was just a quirk this time.

I've had those drivers running on my EVGA 2070 Super for a while, and nothing on my machine. Not super helpful, but another data-point perhaps. Hopefully just a quirk as you say.

Back