GPU Buyers Prepare Get Out Your Wallet and Submit to Credit Check

FrgMstr

Just Plain Mean
Staff member
Digitimes reported earlier today that VGA RAM prices have risen over 30% in August. This is not due to a market shortage but rather to Samsung and Hynix moving some of its VGA RAM production capacities to server and handset memory variants. Samsung is rumored to be moving back to up VGA RAM capacities in Q4. On the upside, it is also forecasted that SSD prices look to have finally leveled out for the rest of the year, with a possible drop around the holidays. Thanks cageymaru.

August quotes for RAMs used in VGA graphics cards have risen to US$8.50, up by 30.8% from US$6.50 in July. Both RAM industry leaders Samsung Electronics and SK Hynix have allocated part of their VGA RAM production capacities to producing memories for servers and handsets, fueling the price rally.

A NYC mayoral candidate was overheard explaining, "The RAM is too damn high!"

VGA RAM? VGA graphics cards?

I think Digitimes needs to spend more money on somebody who actually knows what terms are used in Engrish for VRAM and Video Cards.

Edit: Also memory is its own plural, so RAM is the plural of RAM.

I've had an EVGA GTX 970 SSC posted on Craigslist for over a week now and at $140 and received zero inquiries. In 2016 it would have sold in 1 or two days at that price point. I think that speaks volumes about the PC gaming market at this current time so yea, keep raising the price of gaming cards and let's see how it turns out during the next 12 months

Yes itll be interesting to see how this GPU price craze will effect PC gaming. Personally i dont think it will affect much. PC gamers are usually enthusiast that dont give up that easily.

Yes itll be interesting to see how this GPU price craze will effect PC gaming. Personally i dont think it will affect much. PC gamers are usually enthusiast that dont give up that easily.

People keep saying it's good for AMD... I've been needing to buy multiple cards for some time now and I can't. Prices are jacked up to cash in on the miners, and when they're done they'll flip them on ebay, further screwing with supply.

AMD really needs to make some cards available for gamers or their user base is going to move on. I have better things to do than sit around refreshing Amazon/Newegg for the privilege of paying out the ass for a hot GPU.

People keep saying it's good for AMD... I've been needing to buy multiple cards for some time now and I can't. Prices are jacked up to cash in on the miners, and when they're done they'll flip them on ebay, further screwing with supply.

AMD really needs to make some cards available for gamers or their user base is going to move on. I have better things to do than sit around refreshing Amazon/Newegg for the privilege of paying out the ass for a hot GPU.

So you are mad that supply is dried up... and you will continue to be mad even when those cards show up dirt cheap in the used market?

If it helps, AMD did release a card "for gamers" it's called Vega, and (as a miner) it's very uninteresting and no plans to mine with it. The supply issues with it now are the fact it *just* came out, and what little is out there are being gobbled up by the AMD gamer fans (exactly what you are wanting)

1060's are in stock everywhere, 1080Ti's prices were not effected by mining, in stock $699 as I type this. Throw in ebates 2% cashback + 1% credit card cashback and $678 for top of the line gaming isn't bad in the slightest.

The only threat of "AMD fans moving on" is the fact they can't produce a chip that will compete with nvidia in the same generation's playing field. I've seen more than a few threads on reddit where someone posts "I waited for Vega" and they post a picture of a recently purchased 1080Ti. Which is exactly what people think/do after all the "just a little while longer" for Vega talk.

The cryptotards need to be put to jail. What they do to GPU markets is even more criminal than the currency.

The cryptotards need to be put to jail. What they do to GPU markets is even more criminal than the currency.

I think you need to look to the people jacking up the prices, not the people buying the products, spoken as a non-Miner.

We need cheap, bulk SSD's. Tired of the premium stuff always getting the larger tiers lol.

SKL-SP already ~doubled the DDR4 prices since Q4 2016. No wonder they start to allocate more into it vs GDDR. Its a golden cow.

I think you need to look to the people jacking up the prices, not the people buying the products, spoken as a non-Miner.

The bulk buyers are jacking up the prices! Its the law of demand and supply. Too much demand, prices rise.

Yeah PC gamers are in a frenzy to play all those hot games that are coming out, like.........

$8.50 increase in cost is hardly noticeable on a $600 graphics card. Of course I am sure they will take that $8.50 and turn it into a $100 price increase...cuz profits.

$8.50 increase in cost is hardly noticeable on a $600 graphics card. Of course I am sure they will take that $8.50 and turn it into a $100 price increase...cuz profits.

This per GDDR chip, aka 32bit. So for a 1050/1050TI its 8$, 1060 its 12$, 1070/1080 its 16$. And that's the whole sales factory prices.

People get so butt-hurt over basic supply and demand and individual choice. What other people do with their GPU's is none of your goddamned business. Most adults think spending vast amounts of money and precious time playing stupid video games is criminal - but hey, why don't you live and let live?

meh 60 fps on a 60 hz monitor is fine for me.

i don't need a new video card and at this rate i'm not going to upgrade for a while.

Reactions: _l_
like this
Back