Here's my situation:

AsRock X370 Taichi
Ryzen 1700
G.Skill FlareX 16GB
MSI RX580 Gaming X 8GB
eVGA SuperNova G3
Samsung EVO850

1. Used ATIFlash 2.74 to backup my RX580 ROM
2. Used Polaris BIOS Editor to edit ROM by copying setting from 1:1750 to 1:2000
3. Saved BIOS under a new file name
4. Used ATIFlash to upload and write edited BIOS to RX580
5. BIOS Flashed successfully, requests reboot ---> yes
6. On reboot, I get nothing but a black screen with AsRock 62 error code. I have also experienced error code 0d after some troubleshooting.

I have attempted the following steps and still have a black screen:

- Replaced RX580 with older R290 I dug out of a box
- Reset CMOS - twice - removed battery, power supply, moved jumper, waited 15 minutes, moved jumper back, waiting 10 minutes, restored power
- Installed RX580 and R290 in every PCIe slot in the Taichi
- Tried booting off single stick of memory - swapped DIMMs
- Removed all unnecessary items from the system
-Tried both DVI and HDMI outputs on both cards
- Tried multiple monitors
-Reseated all power cables to motherboard
-Completely torn down and re-built system (CPU reseated)
-All USB devices including front panel are disconnected

I followed the Polaris mod instructions exactly, made no other changes, and had no other programs running when I was doing it. I have contacted AsRock support and unless a miracle happens, will have to RMA. I'm having a hard time seeing how a VGA BIOS flash can brick a motherboard. I've been working with and building systems for 15 years and this is a first.

I do not have a VGA output on the motherboard / onboard video.

For the life of me, I can't understand how a GPU BIOS flash could brick a Northbridge.

no it cant. you need to clear you bios properly and then let it sit at boot up.

remove cmos battery
leave the jumper alone
unplug power
hit power button
let sit 5 min
replace battery
power up
let sit for 5-10 min
should post now.

you don't get output from the onboard unless you have an apu. a gpu bios flash will not brick your mobo. if your mobo is dead it was a bad coincidence.
have you tried the gpu in another system? does it have a bios switch(don't think so, just checking)?

I've gone through the long CMOS reset about 4 times now. I'll do it exactly as you've mentioned leaving 10 minutes in between each step.

RX580 does not have a backup BIOS
R290 does , which I did flip just for giggles to see if it would change anything.

11:15 - Removed CMOS Battery (Power Supply Switch is already flipped to off position)
11:29 - unplugged power cord
11:38 - hit power button about 5 times, held down for 10 seconds
11:48 - replaced CMOS battery
11:54 - plug power cable back in, flip PSU power switch, hit power button (R290 only card installed)
12:09 - No screen output, clicked mouse and pressed key on keyboard to ensure it wasn't in some sort of screensaver
12:10 - Pressed reset key on tower front panel - no screen output
12:12 - Pressed and held power button to turn off tower, waited 15 seconds, powered back on - no screen output

Unfortunately, no other system to try it on at the moment.

I've gone through the long CMOS reset about 4 times now. I'll do it exactly as you've mentioned leaving 10 minutes in between each step.

RX580 does not have a backup BIOS
R290 does , which I did flip just for giggles to see if it would change anything.

11:15 - Removed CMOS Battery (Power Supply Switch is already flipped to off position)
11:29 - unplugged power cord
11:38 - hit power button about 5 times, held down for 10 seconds
11:48 - replaced CMOS battery
11:54 - plug power cable back in, flip PSU power switch, hit power button (R290 only card installed)
12:09 - No screen output, clicked mouse and pressed key on keyboard to ensure it wasn't in some sort of screensaver
12:10 - Pressed reset key on tower front panel - no screen output
12:12 - Pressed and held power button to turn off tower, waited 15 seconds, powered back on - no screen output

Unfortunately, no other system to try it on at the moment.
well that's worked for everybody else that had issues. some ppl had to wait like ten minutes on the first boot attempt after clearing cmos but looks like you gave it about 15. if you cant test the gpus then its rma time I guess.

Back