GPU and Motherboard Makers Face Oversupply in 2019

I'm relatively certain Nvidia has hit the ceiling on GPU prices. Increasing prices more will do nothing but hurt their overall profitability.

(Source: Some random dude on the internet with no clue what he is talking about)

Sadly if they increase prices on cards like their... is it GV100 cards will mean little to the enterprise that benefits from that performance. If they are smart... and they may be. They will introduce a new cycle of enterprise cards with of course increased prices. Raise incrementally the prices of the previous generation as they stop production on them. And then turn to the Consumer market and eat a loss as they sell the consumer cards slightly below cost to gain back mind share and good will.

This will pad their pockets with enterprise dollars.

Gain them good will with consumers.

Ensure RTX is further embraced by developers.

Lock in a good consumer market for a generation or two of cards at a minimum, longer if AMD can't get in on the high end video card game

I don't expect them to do that. Their pride will see them dig in their heels on pricing because they have the best performance.

Anyone else remember 3dfx? They did the same thing.

Sadly if they increase prices on cards like their... is it GV100 cards will mean little to the enterprise that benefits from that performance. If they are smart... and they may be. They will introduce a new cycle of enterprise cards with of course increased prices. Raise incrementally the prices of the previous generation as they stop production on them. And then turn to the Consumer market and eat a loss as they sell the consumer cards slightly below cost to gain back mind share and good will.

This will pad their pockets with enterprise dollars.

Gain them good will with consumers.

Ensure RTX is further embraced by developers.

Lock in a good consumer market for a generation or two of cards at a minimum, longer if AMD can't get in on the high end video card game

I don't expect them to do that. Their pride will see them dig in their heels on pricing because they have the best performance.

Anyone else remember 3dfx? They did the same thing.

Would be nice, but I have my doubts. Guess it's gonna depend on what Intel has cooking in the GPU market.

Side note, I recall Nvidia talking about splitting the consumer and enterprise divisions, obviously changed the architecture names for the two, but haven't looked closely enough to see if Turing really is a separate architecture from Volta or if they just scaled the GV100 down a bit and called it GT100?

edit: Just remembered Volta uses HBM and Turing uses GDDR6 so totally different interconnects with the memory, so I suppose it would have to be a different architecture

Younger brain: "Oversupply means lower prices! Yippe!".

Older, wiser brain: "These foreign manufactures are still going to stick us in the ass".

It's a case of: Nvidia has made a profitable market for themselves in Quadros, and they would rather sit on the 1060s to sell as P2000s and P3000s, and just sit on the slow sales of the desktop parts.

It doesn't make much sense, but it's easier for Nvidia to absorb a loss at the top (GP104, GP102) than it is to cut prices on the mid-range, because there's already such a huge price gap, it doesnb't affect sales.

at mid-range, If you cut prices on one, you have to cut prices on all to make room.

Cutting prices on GP106 would mean GP107 and GP108 would have to fall as well. I don't think Nvidia has an overstock on anything except the GP106.

Last edited:
"That's right babies.... You just keep pumping out the goods for Daddy in his games" *Pat's his 3770K and 1080Ti*

Yup, it's sad... even my Vega 64 Engineering Sample is able to do 4K30 (reasonable enough for me) in GTA Online... people with 1080 Ti have hardly any incentive to upgrade

2mzj2r.jpg

Sky-high DDR4 pricing was what held me back from upgrading to Ryzen1/2. It has come down recently, but with Zen2 around the corner, I've decided to wait, especially since CPU improvement has been anemic over the last 10 yrs. Only 50-100% faster cumulatively across multiple generations??!?!? Not exciting enough.

While gaming in 4K my OC'd FX(s) with 1080ti can still deliver what I consider sufficient frame rates, i.e. 30-60, in GTA V and Witcher 3 at max or near-max graphics settings.
Same scenario for me, word for word practically. Are we clones xD?
I was not paying sucker DDR4 prices to the point that when my 2600k board died and killed cpu (yeah leaking current to CPU-connected USB ports is not smart), I went and replaced the P67pro with a Maximus IV and a 2600k, because ram was so expensive.
Can't wait for Zen2, got a v64 on the way and then with zen2 this current rig becomes the GFs gaming rig and she can move up from my spare i3 lol. Can't wait!

Are you using the FX with the 1080Tis??? Braver than I.

I'm relatively certain Nvidia has hit the ceiling on GPU prices. Increasing prices more will do nothing but hurt their overall profitability.

(Source: Some random dude on the internet with no clue what he is talking about)
The utter disgust from the public and dumpster fire that turned out to be 1080p not even 60hz failtracing sealed that deal, Nvidia needs to drop price but that's hard when you have a ~750mm² chip to produce. Bit like Vega..

And a bit like apple now shrinking production for the second time of their iphone 18X or whatever it is now. Unprecedented and what happens when you try to increase profitability so much for shareholders when your sales volume tanks.

NVIDIA is a public company. You can listen to the earnings call and make your own judgement.

Same scenario for me, word for word practically. Are we clones xD?
I was not paying sucker DDR4 prices to the point that when my 2600k board died and killed cpu (yeah leaking current to CPU-connected USB ports is not smart), I went and replaced the P67pro with a Maximus IV and a 2600k, because ram was so expensive.
Can't wait for Zen2, got a v64 on the way and then with zen2 this current rig becomes the GFs gaming rig and she can move up from my spare i3 lol. Can't wait!

Are you using the FX with the 1080Tis??? Braver than I.

Yes. I have 2 separate OC'd FX rigs, each driving an OC'd 1080ti hybrid. Most games (I play) now have 4-8 threads, allowing the FX to deliver sufficient FPS in 4K. :)

Back