GPS Shoes Being Developed for Alzheimer’s Wanderers

Terry Olaes

I Used to be the [H] News Guy
A shoe-maker and GPS company are partnering up to develop shoes that could be used to track the whereabouts of the wearer, particularly those who are afflicted with Alzheimer’s Disease and prone to wandering. This would be a huge boon for those who have loved ones with the disease and constantly worry about that person wandering off.

…A "geo-fence" could be placed around a person's home and a "Google Map" alert sent to a cell phone, home or office computer when a programmed boundary is crossed. "The shoe we intend on developing with Aetrex should help authorized family members, friends, or caretakers reduce their stress and anguish by enabling them to locate their loved ones instantly with the click of a mouse," said Chris Walsh, chief operating officer of GTX Corp.

Now they'll just have to make sure they don't lose the shoes. Or forget them before they go out.

Or hope that people don't buy them by the truck load just to take advantage of a cheap way to track others.

At 27 I would actually want a pair for the lulz. But if someone got that for me at 67 I would plot my revenge over the insult.;)

[UPS] Sorce;1034201039 said:
Now they'll just have to make sure they don't lose the shoes. Or forget them before they go out.
In my house, that's easy since our dementia client always puts her walking shoes on when she steps outside (but yet, she always repeats stories of her glory days a billion times).

Now the hard part here is trying to get my Mom and other caregivers to learn how to use a computer and Google maps.

And I wonder how accurate it'll be?

Considering all the puddles and impact/wear & tear that shoes go through, I don' think they'd last very long. Then again, the people requiring these shoes probably wouldn't be doing very strenous activity.

Back