GPO installs, and other things

benutne

[H]ard|Gawd
Its been a while since I've done this stuff, so I'm a bit rusty. When setting up the GPO to push out software across a network, does the application HAVE to be an MSI installer, or will any setup (exe) file work as well?

And I cant seem to get my logon scripts to map a network drive work quite right. The script works great, its just the script isnt being applied to the computer when it comes on. Cant figure that one out, but I havent done a GPUpdate yet either.

And why oh why didnt they properly install Netmeeting on XP? Are there any better alternatives to Netmeeting?

K...got the logon script working. Dunno what I did. It works now.

Heres a bigger question. How do I push out software across the network that isnt in the form of an .msi file. Like say an exe file (Nero or Photoshop for example)

What you have to do is get a tool, Sorry i don't remeber it right now, that creates an MSI File for you.

OR you can go the old OLD route of setting up a network share accessable by everyone, create a startup script that checks for some condition and if not ture runs the silent install from the network. With this however you don't know if it worked or not.

Yeah, its on the 2K3 server CD. And its a PITA. I was really hoping for some alternatives to using the MSI installer. Perhaps a 3rd party program that will allow me to run the install from my desk using a network resource.

Originally posted by bigstusexy
What you have to do is get a tool, Sorry i don't remeber it right now, that creates an MSI File for you.
It's a free tool from Veritas that creates an MSI file.

First, It takes an image of your PC,
Then you install the program,
Setup everything the way you want.
Then run the program again and it looks for the changes. (make sure you enable "Deep Registry Scan")

Then test it. I've have had really good luck with this tool and it's very easy to use.

You could always buy SMS 2.0.......

Its called Wininstall LE

It comes on the Windows 2000 server CD or you can download the latest version from Veritas

Back