GPO: Applying User settings based on computer

XOR != OR

[H]F Junkie
I have a number of workstations that I need to apply user registry keys to, has anybody ever done this before using group policies?

so each user has a different GPO depending on the system they log into?

so each user has a different GPO depending on the system they log into?
Not exactly. We have a group of workstations that have an application which needs custom settings in the user's hive.

Here's where it gets fun; The settings applied to the user differ depending on which workstation the user is logging into.

so each user has a different setting depending on what workstation they use?

is it the same for each user who uses the workstation?

so each user has a different setting depending on what workstation they use?

is it the same for each user who uses the workstation?
Yes and yes.

The settings are dependent on which of two groups the workstations are in, but within their groups they are the same. The user is only involved because the settings live in HKEY_CURRENT_USER, but otherwise who they are is irrelevant.

Why not create a different OU for each workstation (if there are only a few) and setup a different GPO for each OU.

Why not create a different OU for each workstation (if there are only a few) and setup a different GPO for each OU.
Actually, I was going to just setup a GPO and filter by workstation group, then attach that to the highest common OU for the workstations.

The problem I run into is that I'm trying to apply user settings to these systems based on the workstation being logged in. The user's OU is indeterminate, they could be anywhere in the tree.

Back