GPG dead - SupCom retail keys grandfathered into Steam Gold

heelix

[H]ard|Gawd
http://forums.gaspowered.com/viewtopic.php?f=67&t=57459

They finally put a knife to the terrible gpg match making client.

GPG was able to receive authorization from our publishing partners to grandfather ALL existing CD keys for both SC and FA into updated SC:Gold Editions on Steam. This means that even if you purchased only SC or FA in a boxed version, you can now redeem that key for BOTH games automatically updated to version 3603 utilizing Steam, and also take advantage of Steam's integrated matchmaking and chat services for free.

Forged Alliances Forever has taken over much of the match making and tuning of the game. A fantastic add on that fixes many of the original issues.

http://www.faforever.com/

Thanks for the notice!

Entered my old, old key into Steam and worked right away.

Only down side is the 15GB re-download. Who knows, maybe I'll start playing again!

Fuck yeah!

I was so pissed when my original retail keys didn't activate on Steam. This is great news.

I actually own both retail, so does that mean I get two Steam copies now?

Wow, GPG dead huh? Can't say I'm surprised.. They dropped the ball handing Dungeon Siege 3 over to Obsidian and Squenix... And I'll never forgive them for that POS Space Siege.

Nice! I've been meaning to play SC for a couple years now and have both SC and FA DVD versions. The FA key didn't work, but the SC did. Got both as promised!

http://forums.gaspowered.com/viewtopic.php?f=67&t=57459

They finally put a knife to the terrible gpg match making client.

GPG was able to receive authorization from our publishing partners to grandfather ALL existing CD keys for both SC and FA into updated SC:Gold Editions on Steam. This means that even if you purchased only SC or FA in a boxed version, you can now redeem that key for BOTH games automatically updated to version 3603 utilizing Steam, and also take advantage of Steam's integrated matchmaking and chat services for free.

Forged Alliances Forever has taken over much of the match making and tuning of the game. A fantastic add on that fixes many of the original issues.

http://www.faforever.com/

thanks for the notice but my key didn't get grandfathered in of course.. bought supcom 1 and FA day one of both releases. already tried arguing with steam about it and they told me to talk to GPG and they told me to talk to steam so i'm screwed either way.

thanks for the notice but my key didn't get grandfathered in of course.. bought supcom 1 and FA day one of both releases. already tried arguing with steam about it and they told me to talk to GPG and they told me to talk to steam so i'm screwed either way.

Out of curiosity, how did you obtain your key? I notice the linked article talks about "ALL existing CD keys" and "SC or FA in a boxed edition".

I also see that one of the GPG Forum Scouts said "It is possible not all keys are grandfathered yet."

Out of curiosity, how did you obtain your key? I notice the linked article talks about "ALL existing CD keys" and "SC or FA in a boxed edition".

I also see that one of the GPG Forum Scouts said "It is possible not all keys are grandfathered yet."

mine were retail box version from good ol' fry's(only thing i miss not living in california now). yeah i finally talked to another steam rep that actually knew wtf he was talking about. should take them a few days to get them added but since i bought it so early i'll probably be at the end of the list of keys getting added since they are doing supcom keys first then FA keys.

SC:FA with the Sorian AI and the madboris multi-thread hack is one of the best RTS there is. I still play it quite often.

SC:FA with the Sorian AI and the madboris multi-thread hack is one of the best RTS there is. I still play it quite often.

I have 4 more hours at work and I have a feeling when I get home the next 2.5 days I will be playing the hell out of SupCom2 with the AI and multithread hack :)

love me some epic land battles..

I have 4 more hours at work and I have a feeling when I get home the next 2.5 days I will be playing the hell out of SupCom2 with the AI and multithread hack :)

love me some epic land battles..

there is no AI or multithread hack for supcom 2, supcom FA isn't supcom 2.. FA is 99% fixed expansion to supcom 1, supcom 2 is an utter piece of worthless garbage and quite frankly that still doesn't express how bad the game really is.

just had to point out the differences sorry, i hate it when people call supcom FA supcom 2.

I really regret buying supcom 2. I played it maybe 3 times and that was it. Terrible game. It really hurt the supreme commander name. Forged Alliance + SC1 was the best. Hopefully this will spark some more multiplayer matches. Going to reinstall tonight.

Damn, my original supcom discs/key are long gone. Wonder if I can pick up a cheap copy on fleabay.

EDIT: $4.15 on amazon, and prime shipping. May have to grab this.

not sure how people are confusing supcom with supcom2, huge difference. if you got tricked into buying the latter, I suggest you just sell/delete/uninstall it and get the original, it's worthless.

this is a great news to have gold version of sc+fa from my old key, serves them right since they killed their userbase with the expansion. never bought it because of that, and their refusal to add real multicore support.

not sure how people are confusing supcom with supcom2, huge difference. if you got tricked into buying the latter, I suggest you just sell/delete/uninstall it and get the original, it's worthless.

this is a great news to have gold version of sc+fa from my old key, serves them right since they killed their userbase with the expansion. never bought it because of that, and their refusal to add real multicore support.

they did fix the multi-core issue in SC:FA, problem is the codes still 5+ years old and came out just when quad cores were hitting the market. so while the support is there its still garbage and not really completely fixable unless they re-write the whole engine. most of the multi-core issues though were related to windows XP. i remember going from XP to windows 7 with SC:FA and it was a night and day difference since i no longer needed to use the multi-core hack. but its still recommended to use 64bit os to get around the stupid 2GB memory limit(3GB memory per process limit fix while its suppose to be built into SC:FA doesn't really work that well).

Wow, GPG dead huh? Can't say I'm surprised.. They dropped the ball handing Dungeon Siege 3 over to Obsidian and Squenix... And I'll never forgive them for that POS Space Siege.

btw GPG didn't die, they just shut down the GPGnet multiplayer client.

Played original SC & FA quite a bit, but really had a lot of MP co-op & LAN party fun with SC 2 + dlc, that game was made for MP fast game play. Solo is not much fun.

Glad I read this. Opened up Gamefly site (I bought my SC game on Direct2Drive years ago) and looked through my purchase history and found my cd key and got it in steam and it's setting pretty along with FA (even though I had that as well, didn't have to add the key since I got it free when the main game was added to steam). Oh man, so glad it's on steam. I hated GPG net. If you had to reinstall the game, you had to go through like 12 separate patches to get GPG net to work, it was a pain in the ass.

Glad I read this. Opened up Gamefly site (I bought my SC game on Direct2Drive years ago) and looked through my purchase history and found my cd key and got it in steam and it's setting pretty along with FA (even though I had that as well, didn't have to add the key since I got it free when the main game was added to steam). Oh man, so glad it's on steam. I hated GPG net. If you had to reinstall the game, you had to go through like 12 separate patches to get GPG net to work, it was a pain in the ass.

It sounds like the FA key will unlock them both too.. willing to part with it?

SC does not have >2GB support patched in, but you could mod it in yourself. FA does have >2GB support built in.

It's good to hear that MadBoris multi-core fix is no longer needed for FA on Win7 64bit; I did not know that.

FAF is up to version 3612 now. They started including Sorian AI at 3609.

Damn, lot of SupCom 2 hate (though this threaad isn't even about SupCom2, lol)

Personally I like both. SupCom/FA is the true spiritual successor to Total Annihilation, but sometimes I like to play SupCom2 if I want a faster match. SupCom/FA matches take forever (which is sometimes fun, but I don't always have that much time to devote to a game continuously).

Played original SC & FA quite a bit, but really had a lot of MP co-op & LAN party fun with SC 2 + dlc, that game was made for MP fast game play. Solo is not much fun.

Pretty much.

Sounds like a nice deal. Now to find a cheap key for either game... Having Prime would have made getting a cheap key much easier.

Sounds like a nice deal. Now to find a cheap key for either game... Having Prime would have made getting a cheap key much easier.

Be careful. Seems not all keys will activate on Steam for some reason. Buxaroo sent me his FA key, and Steam doesn't like it. Did a bit of digging and it seems to be hit or miss. Maybe THQ support will help me out.

Be careful. Seems not all keys will activate on Steam for some reason. Buxaroo sent me his FA key, and Steam doesn't like it. Did a bit of digging and it seems to be hit or miss. Maybe THQ support will help me out.

I see, come to think of it - I think I might have the box somewhere in my junk at home. I'll try it out when I get home.

hmm... FA works.

Old original SC version worked.

Steam SC version works for 5 seconds and crashes to desktop... sigh...

Last edited:
Tried my SC key, worked fine. :D

I tried it before this announcement and it didn't. So clearly they are adding all the keys.

only about half the FA keys work, i've already tried with 3 different ones and none work on steam. i lost my main supcom key years ago since i had no need for it to play supcom:FA. oh well i already have both games installed and FAforever is a better client anyways.. given up at this point so time to uninstall steam again.

Impulse keys work, downloading FA now. For the 3 other people who used Impulse.

Back