GPARTED used to shrink partition, now OS wont boot!

jasondean98

Limp Gawd
Please help!

I used Gparted to shrink the vista partition on my wifes laptop, so i could install windows 7 on the new partitiom.

Now the machine won't boot into either OS and doesn't seem to recognise the hard drive at all.

I've tried the repair option using a vista disc, but no joy!

Any ideas? Have I lost all her documents!?:eek:

Can you add more detail?

After you shrunk the Vista partition, did you boot to Vista to make sure it still works before installing Windows 7?
Did Windows 7 installation complete?
Did Windows 7 ever boot?
How did you install Windows 7, advanced install or upgrade?
Which partition did you choose for Windows 7?

I had this happen..... should have used Vista's disk management to shrink the partition, but oh well......

Boot an XP install disk, and go through the initial steps until you are given the option to save the partition your Vista install is on, and do so.

Sounds odd, but it worked for me.... good luck.

same thing happened to me. but im still unable to get to it even after asking 4 forums lol. i can atleast access my files though so i can do backups and a full restore ...unfortunately :rolleyes:

not sure if vista's disk management can shrink an active system volume.. i think i ran into a problem doing that before iirc.

i would probably try some recovery software to at least get the files off before you do any more damage to the directory. i wouldn't think it would be that hard, your files should be mostly in tact..

not sure if vista's disk management can shrink an active system volume..

Yes it can, I have done so with several installs recently setting up dual boots with 7... works fine.

Anyhow, the method I mentioned above was outlined for me here, and it worked just fine. Worth a shot....

The only reason this would happen is if the partition number for vista changed which would imply you were doing something other then just a simple shrinking

Edit!

I ended up taking the drive and putting it in my machine and backing up all the documents etc, then doing a clean install of win 7 on the laptop.

I originally made the mistake of using the built in vista partition tool and not taking much notice when it wouldn't let me shrink the vista partition.

Thanks for all your help and comments, at least my wife won't kill me now!!!:D

Back