GOW patch on wednesday

JSC450

Gawd
http://www.kotaku.com/gaming/gears-of-war/gears-of-war-update-detailed-226942.php

They nerfed the game more than they fixed it.

• Fixed rare situation where players could get stuck after chainsawing in multiplayer
• Reduced Grenade Tag melee distance
• Reduced number of possible revives in Execution to match Warzone
• Removed host name from Ranked match server browser

These 4 are huge mistakes IMO.

1.) tagging at the same time as getting chainsawed was an even exchange. So im guessing now, as you go through tag animation, if you get hit with the chainsaw before finishing the animation, your out of luck.

2.) you only got away 30% of the time anyways, now youll never get away, or may even get shot down before you reach someone. not to mention, vs host, a grenade tag may be your only chance to win the round.

3.) so whats the point of Execution then if you shoot someone down enough times, you never have to finish them off?

4.) Fantastic, so much for having fun with your friends at the same time having a challenging match.

5.) why oh why wasn't host advantage addressed?

Kabob

2[H]4U
I'd like to see them fix the bugs first...

-Fix the texture error that happens when first starting a game (no textures at all on some surfaces).

-Fix the DRE's that happen every once in a while.

-Fix the lost connection after ranked matches (if that's an error).

Then maybe make some friggin way to escape the chainsaw...it's so overpowered (and yes, it IS my favorite weapon).

Fix stuff that NEEDS fixing instead of nerfing stuff that is just fine right now!

4saken

[H]F Junkie
Im glad ive only been able to play GoW about 5 hrs total between my 2 xbox 360 replacements, this way i wont notice the changes they make when im finally able to play it again.

Kabob

2[H]4U
More maps eh? I'd like to see a few more weapons!

Since we've got the chainsaw already how about a standard industrial jackhammer? You melee them and jackhammer them to death. Mwahahaha...

Nevermind...

Nitro_APBT

Limp Gawd
I think they really need to fix the headset problems before anything else multiplayer related. The only time I have any kind of communication is in ranked matches. I suck at GoW, but play mostly ranked matches because I can actually communicate with my team, and have some type of strategy.

In the player matches the headsets are always FUBAR. There's always a couple, and usually more players that can't hear, can't be heard, or both. In some games there are pairs of people that can hear eachother, and that's it.

(Appearently they did attempt to fix the mic problem. Hopefully it works. Will know in a couple days.)

"We understand that the game is F'd up, here's some new maps"

"Yup, it's still F'd up but we've made it easier for those of you who suck"

"Still screwed, but now it'll be harder for people to boost their gamerscore.... oh yeah, you won't be able to play with your friends"

WTF???

FTW!!!

KaosDG

[H]F Junkie
I think they really need to fix the headset problems before anything else multiplayer related. The only time I have any kind of communication is in ranked matches. I suck at GoW, but play mostly ranked matches because I can actually communicate with my team, and have some type of strategy.

In the player matches the headsets are always FUBAR. There's always a couple, and usually more players that can't hear, can't be heard, or both. In some games there are pairs of people that can hear eachother, and that's it.

"We understand that the game is F'd up, here's some new maps"

"Yup, it's still F'd up but we've made it easier for those of you who suck"

"Still screwed, but now it'll be harder for people to boost their gamerscore.... oh yeah, you won't be able to play with your friends"

WTF???

FTW!!!

This problem?
"Fixed voice issue with new players joining Player Match games in progress "

http://gearsforums.epicgames.com/showthread.php?t=560548

Michael.R

Gawd
This patch is a step in the right direction, a lot of the issues I have had with the game are being fixed.

Most importantly
Removed host name from Ranked match server browser
This will prevent team stacking, if you want to play with friends then join a player match. Otherwise communicate with the people in the room instead. And before I get bashed on this I don't think its bad that you should be able to rank up with your friends I just think it should be gone about a different way. Like you group up with friends in a lobby of some sort and join other ranked games against another team of friends. Instead of having a team of friends against 4 individual players.
Ranked matches now require balanced teams (3v3 or 4v4)
Should help with the people always quiting the match before its over or they start getting owned.
Increased penalty for quitting a Ranked match to -50 points
Although I think it should be even more, another step to stop people from quiting.

Technoob

Supreme [H]ardness
This patch was begun before the game was even released, so I'd guess that the next patch will focus largely on MP balancing.

What I'm really wanting is better host options: Switch map and weapon setting without rehosting, more options for starting with different weapons, and so on.

Michael.R

Gawd
Well I hope they continue to patch the game, because I love the multiplayer.

And yes an option to change the game settings without re hosting the map would be nice.

Nitro_APBT

Limp Gawd
I am torn on the host name thing and what-not.

I think the game stacking to boost your gamerscore is bs, but I don't see anything wrong with playing ranked matches with your friends. You know eachother, you can communicate, maybe you'll win.

I have played a few games against people who knew eachother, some clannies, some not. And I have won a few matches against them with people on my team I didn't know. I've lost against them too.

It's no different than playing any group of 4 people. If you play better, and communicate better, you'll win. If your team doesn't communicate at all, you'll lose.

If someone is a real shit head playing with their friends, can't you set it up so you won't join matches they're in? (I'm new to 360)

I also think gears needs a straight up deathmatch. 16 people, respawns, etc. Most kills in the time limit wins... deathmatch.

kelbear

[H]ard|Gawd
Keeping teams out of ranked matches is a step in the right direction.

The next step here would be to include a team ranked match instead. You should be able to assemble your team, hit "find match", and get paired with an team of equivalent size and ranking.

The real problem here isn't that they're fixing ranked matches, the problem is that they should have provided an alternative to begin with. In fact, this should go into place for R6: Vegas as well. A pre-made team should go up against pre-made teams. Pick-up groups should go against pick-up groups. This should have been obvious from the outset.

Kabob

2[H]4U
I like the "team ranked match" idea kelbear. Then everyone would get what they wanted (except those who want to hammer lowly n00bs like me!)

kaluminati

Gawd
http://www.kotaku.com/gaming/gears-of-war/gears-of-war-update-detailed-226942.php

They nerfed the game more than they fixed it.

• Fixed rare situation where players could get stuck after chainsawing in multiplayer
• Reduced Grenade Tag melee distance
• Reduced number of possible revives in Execution to match Warzone
• Removed host name from Ranked match server browser

1.) tagging at the same time as getting chainsawed was an even exchange. So im guessing now, as you go through tag animation, if you get hit with the chainsaw before finishing the animation, your out of luck.

2.) you only got away 30% of the time anyways, now youll never get away, or may even get shot down before you reach someone. not to mention, vs host, a grenade tag may be your only chance to win the round.

3.) so whats the point of Execution then if you shoot someone down enough times, you never have to finish them off?

4.) Fantastic, so much for having fun with your friends at the same time having a challenging match.

1) Nade tagging will always be easier than the chainsaw, as you can tag from any direction. Chainsawing is not nearly as powerful as nade tagging is, it is absurdly overpowered and there simply is NO counter. I'm so happy they are doing this.

2) 30%? Simply not true, in my experience. You'll still be able to get away easily.

But it would have been nice to address the host advantage.

5150Joker

Supreme [H]ardness

Too many people use tagging as a cheap means to get a kill (I'm guilty of this) so it's about time they nerfed the distance you can tag someone.

Where did you come up with the 30% figure from? It all comes down to how well you can creep up on opponents. If you can't win against a host then your problem is skill, not latency.

The point is it gets old downing someone 3 times in a row only to have them get up in 5 seconds. There needs to be a set limit and I'm all for this.

It leads to abuse of the ranked system so it's better with the host name removed.

It never will be, the host will always have the upper hand due to being the server, this is true of any game be it on a console or PC.

JSC450

Gawd
I dissagree with your views on tagging. Im not sure who you guys play with, but i usually find myself up against a variety of seriously good people to professional gamers of some degree. these arent newbs you can run up on and tag and run away giggling. they will take you with them. this tagging nerf just made tags pointless to use in the higher level of play.

Have you played Halo2 online? One of the players in the game is the host, but they dont enjoy the type of host advantage Gears offers its hosts. when a guy can kill 3-4 people per round with the shotty from a medium distance, that dosent mean those 3-4 people have a skill problem, it means Epics shit is broken, and its broken real bad.

i invite you to play on my host if you need to me to prove my point.

if your tired of downing someone 3 times in execution, please, go finishing them off before they get up man. just because you cant do it, dosent mean they should nerf the gametype.

As for keeping teams out of ranked matches, most of those teams start out as 2 buddies at the beginning of the night. as they play on, people are attracted to thier skills, personality, or what have you, either way, they are enjoying themselves when playing witht his team of 2. then they show up more and more untill they are just part of the team for the night. its the whole point of xbox live, to make friends and play together. if someone is so damaged that they cant make a friend on this service, they have deeper problems than joining a game with 2-4 people who want to be on the same team.

Not to mention those people who join other hosts games with a few of thier friends. What about them? no one was complaining about them, but now theyre screwed too.

my honest opinion is this, this update is screwing those who put in the time, made some friends, and paid their dues, all because some newbies came to the party late and had the loudest complaints, even louder then the host advantaqge complaints apparently.

Kabob

2[H]4U
I didn't know about the host advantage problem...although I will admit alot of the hosts I've played against have been quite good...

Shlomo

2[H]4U
Over at the Epic forums all I see is a bunch or sore heads whining over shit that won't make or break the game for me.

Jesus, if your the admin, and YOU are hosting the server, then of course you'll get the better latency.. wooow.

Try it with a PC game some time... Thats why the only servers are dedicated servers.