Government Limits Use of Kaspersky Lab Software

FrgMstr

Just Plain Mean
Staff member
While we try to stay away from politics, sometimes those intersect with tech and are worth discussion. That said, I will quote the facts, give it a link, and leave it there. Oh yeah, Russia, Russia, Russia!

WASHINGTON (Reuters) - The Trump administration on Tuesday removed Moscow-based Kaspersky Lab from two lists of approved vendors used by government agencies to purchase technology equipment, amid concerns the cyber security firm's products could be used by the Kremlin to gain entry into U.S. networks.

The action was taken "after review and careful consideration," the spokeswoman said, adding that GSA's priorities "are to ensure the integrity and security of U.S. government systems and networks."

Yeah my job uses Kaspkersy (Via LANDesk AV). I am checking with our rep to see what is going on.

Realistically wouldn't it been smarter to not give Russia a backdoor into root directories of government PCs? Kaspersky is based in Moscow so you know they meddle with things already......

Ya, as much as I want to believe he's an upright responsible businessman....well...Russia Russia Russia corrupts all.

Here's another weird one. Anyone used Zebra printers? They had some firmware in them that would transmit a copy of all manifest data to Chinese servers. Took a while to catch it, this stuff is everywhere.

question, besides being russian, have they actually done anything to warrant this action? or is it purely political

question, besides being russian, have they actually done anything to warrant this action? or is it purely political

Frankly, I'm surprised this wasn't done sooner. Like allowing China to buy shipping ports in the US. Yeah, those won't be used for illegal shipping AT ALL.

Here's another weird one. Anyone used Zebra printers? They had some firmware in them that would transmit a copy of all manifest data to Chinese servers. Took a while to catch it, this stuff is everywhere.

Which is why you should block all outbound traffic on any device that doesn't need it, and only allow a whitelist of allowed devices. If that was setup and you had a rule logging traffic hitting the block rule, you'd see that REAL quick.

Last edited:

It's basically immaterial for the most part. For instance, the Army, and for all I know, perhaps all of DoD uses McAfee only, nothing else. I have a work mate says the Air Force is the same so I think it's DoD wide. So if I am right, Kaspersky never would have been used at all and hasn't been on a DoD system for quite some time if ever.

Maybe others here can answer for other parts of the US Government.

Always good to know that the first thing I remove on when setting up a PC for someone is what the DoD is entrusting our defense secrets to

Umm, well actually it's not the same at all. There are some differences in the McAfee that is sold for retail and the Enterprise version DoD takes, and then modifies for their Enterprise and deploys.

Realistically wouldn't it been smarter to not give Russia a backdoor into root directories of government PCs? Kaspersky is based in Moscow so you know they meddle with things already......
Well then you're using a very "alternative facts" kind of definition of "know".

If the situation was reversed and the news was Russia banning the use of software from an US based firm all hell would brake loose: "How dare they? the communist pigs! But muh free market!"

Well then you're using a very "alternative facts" kind of definition of "know".

If the situation was reversed and the news was Russia banning the use of software from an US based firm all hell would brake loose: "How dare they? the communist pigs! But muh free market!"

If Russia installs Symantec's products, we win even if there is no backdoor.

I wonder if Hillary used Kaspersky to protect her email....

I'm pretty sure this is Hillary's technical advisor
Bonzi_Buddy.png

Which is why you should block all outbound traffic on any device that doesn't need it, and only allow a whitelist of allowed devices. If that was setup and you had a rule logging traffic hitting the block rule, you'd see that REAL quick.

Not sure what their firewall policies were at the time, but I bet they block everything now.

Back