Government Is Worse Than All Major Industries On Cyber Security

HardOCP News

[H] News
I know this may come as a shock but, a new report says that the U.S. federal, state and local government agencies all rank last on cyber security compared to every other major industry.

The analysis, from venture-backed security risk benchmarking startup SecurityScorecard, measured the relative security health of government and industries across 10 categories, including vulnerability to malware infections, exposure rates of passwords and susceptibility to social engineering, such as an employee using corporate account information on a public social network.

I actually can't say that I'm surprised, as a systems engineer setting up test environments to simulate what gets deployed to Navy ships it is disturbing how many people still operate in the mindset of (and more or less verbally state it), "Cybersecurity is not part of my job, leave all of that to the security people." I don't much like dealing with it myself, but at least I make an effort to work WITH the security folks rather than against them.

If NASA was the worst of them all, how are they going to upload the new virus into the aliens' ships coming this year?! Lol.

Back in the real world, companies probably score higher because they don't want trade secrets getting out. So they invest in their security.

Back