Government Agencies Have Trouble Hiring Experts Who Can Fend Off Hackers

HardOCP News

[H] News
Ya think?

As the reports on the number of affected people grew from four million to north of 21 million on Thursday, Archuleta, who had previously resisted calls to resign, had little choice as political pressure grew. Now it will be up to President Obama to appoint, and for Congress to confirm, a new head of the agency who will be charged with the thankless job of cleaning up the resulting mess and ensuring that nothing like it ever happens again.

Maybe if they stop treating these people as budget fodder every time the pork gets out of hand.
Or maybe just maybe, we should listen to these people when they say something or someone is needed to make a system secure. Hell if we even treated them with an ounce of respect they deserve, some might be inclined to work for the government.:rolleyes:

Government agencies have no problem hiring hackers and malware-writers, though. Thanks NSA/CIA and Mossad: we love Stuxnet and its children.

Maybe if they stop treating these people as budget fodder every time the pork gets out of hand.
Or maybe just maybe, we should listen to these people when they say something or someone is needed to make a system secure. Hell if we even treated them with an ounce of respect they deserve, some might be inclined to work for the government.:rolleyes:

This is the absolute truth. Those who speak up in government positions are almost immediately branded a "troublemaker" and "that's just how it is" is the daily mantra. The best piece of advice I was ever given in a government job (I've held a few) was to always remember that government only exists to grow larger and elected officials only concern is to be re-elected. Nobody is interested in improving or efficiency.

People who live their lives in a square box are unable to attract / hire people who think outside the box? Go figure.

Government agencies have no problem hiring hackers and malware-writers, though. Thanks NSA/CIA and Mossad: we love Stuxnet and its children.

This right here. I have no doubt the NSA has some top end people. Maybe they should take one day a week and focus on defense instead of offense.

It doesn't help that the government requires it's employees to have squeaky clean criminal records.

It might be easy to find qualified hackers to defend your network, but it's a lot harder to find qualified hackers that have NEVER had a run-in with the law.

This right here. I have no doubt the NSA has some top end people. Maybe they should take one day a week and focus on defense instead of offense.

This would require the NSA to share it's secret stash of 0-day exploits with the rest of the government.

They want a hacker that can defend against other hackers who have never broken the law?

So no one with hacking experience need apply. Yeah those will definitely be slim pickings.

They opened their servers to the internet.
Government does not equal up to date on anything. hardware, software, security, action.
I can't see any way for them to fix this ever with them online.

Back